How to become a Reg?

101scouse

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Firstly I don’t have access to my laptop midweek so my thread may seem a little scrambled bare with me!
So basically I just wanted to make a thread to try and gain some advice (poker buddies) if possible to help me continually improve now I’m trying to take poker a little more serious.

My poker experience
I’ve played poker for several years all casual, although I’d like to say I’ve got solid fundamentals in the game. Usually depositing like 20-30£ At a time spinning it up then just entering $40/50 dollars tournaments then losing it in 5/10 buy ins.
I took a 2 year break playing but got back into it when I was on twitch for other games before coming across the regular faces recently a lot of you probably know (Spraggy, Easywithaces, Easterdamnz and tonkaaaaP). Who I think have genuinely brought my game on 10 fold compared to when I last played, improving my shove/fold game and various spots to take throughout tournaments.

So with that being said I put my usual 20-30£ in Thursday but have just been entering tournaments playing solid instead of just getting bored and Donking off and spun it up to $325 and got about $185 worth of entries for this Sunday through satellites and buying in for one $11+22 tournaments.
My downside/advice needed is I’ve had a lot more success in the mid stakes games $22/44 games gaining through satellites. Had some horrific bad beats yesterday ie ( 90% on turn both all in to be 15th/90 left in the bounty 44$) which happened a few times last night but I still broke even, which is not a bad beat story as much I know it happens to us all I’ve learned to deal with them well.
Just knowing one good finish would of had me set for a decent start to my bankroll, I actually struggle micro stakes too much variance for my liking. I found sharkscope recently and am still a winning player (barely!) 8% profit history.

Is there any advice a reg has got to try and push me through the threshold of what I should be playing etc/ places to improve even more? (A lot of waffle I know thanks if you have given time to read)

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The advice is that there is no quick answer of how to get better. You need to play a lot, study a lot and then play some more. Take some time daily to reflect on your playing (and life) and be honest with yourself. The key to all of this is self-reflection and self-study. Once you're able to be honest with yourself, you will start identifying the major areas where you can improve. Start with the areas that are your biggest weaknesses and continuously reflect on where else you can be improving. It's a life long study, but it's worth it. (I'm not sure I'm even talking about poker anymore)

jesuisjesus

jesuisjesus

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To devote all free time to poker. Being engaged not only in grind, but also working on the game, studying strategies, working with programs, discussing hands. Percentage at start 60/40 in favor of grind.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol, grinding is not the answer. Unless of course you want to get burnt out and question why you ever started playing the game in the first place.

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

101scouse

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To devote all free time to poker. Being engaged not only in grind, but also working on the game, studying strategies, working with programs, discussing hands. Percentage at start 60/40 in favor of grind.

I think it’s more the where to start? I’m finding a group of players to talk about hand histories with etc, I’ve just got PT4 which is a start.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds like for you the first step to becoming a solid reg is proper bankroll management. If you want to play recreationally this isn't a problem at all. But to start grinding properly you can't afford to go broke every time.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The advice is that there is no quick answer of how to get better. You need to play a lot, study a lot and then play some more. Take some time daily to reflect on your playing (and life) and be honest with yourself. The key to all of this is self-reflection and self-study. Once you're able to be honest with yourself, you will start identifying the major areas where you can improve. Start with the areas that are your biggest weaknesses and continuously reflect on where else you can be improving. It's a life long study, but it's worth it. (I'm not sure I'm even talking about poker anymore)

All of this is excellent advice that I’d like to second!

Just would like to add that, at least in my mind, good bankroll management (as well as the hand-in-hand concept of understanding what expected variance is in your game type) is crucial to becoming a successful reg. There are many excellent articles here on CardsChat in case you want to improve in these areas.

Best of luck to you! :)

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Firstly I don’t have access to my laptop midweek so my thread may seem a little scrambled bare with me!
So basically I just wanted to make a thread to try and gain some advice (poker buddies) if possible to help me continually improve now I’m trying to take poker a little more serious.

My poker experience
I’ve played poker for several years all casual, although I’d like to say I’ve got solid fundamentals in the game. Usually depositing like 20-30£ At a time spinning it up then just entering $40/50 dollars tournaments then losing it in 5/10 buy ins.
I took a 2 year break playing but got back into it when I was on twitch for other games before coming across the regular faces recently a lot of you probably know (Spraggy, Easywithaces, Easterdamnz and tonkaaaaP). Who I think have genuinely brought my game on 10 fold compared to when I last played, improving my shove/fold game and various spots to take throughout tournaments.

So with that being said I put my usual 20-30£ in Thursday but have just been entering tournaments playing solid instead of just getting bored and Donking off and spun it up to $325 and got about $185 worth of entries for this Sunday through satellites and buying in for one $11+22 tournaments.
My downside/advice needed is I’ve had a lot more success in the mid stakes games $22/44 games gaining through satellites. Had some horrific bad beats yesterday ie ( 90% on turn both all in to be 15th/90 left in the bounty 44$) which happened a few times last night but I still broke even, which is not a bad beat story as much I know it happens to us all I’ve learned to deal with them well.
Just knowing one good finish would of had me set for a decent start to my bankroll, I actually struggle micro stakes too much variance for my liking. I found sharkscope recently and am still a winning player (barely!) 8% profit history.

Is there any advice a reg has got to try and push me through the threshold of what I should be playing etc/ places to improve even more? (A lot of waffle I know thanks if you have given time to read)

Ask and ye shall receive

Good luck & Happy Poker Journeys my friend!

If you want some extra motivation feel free to drop by the friday homegame at http://twitch.tv/gripsed lots of good people hanging out there!

malitoxdk16

malitoxdk16

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the first thing would be a good management of the funds, study of the hands, control the different emotional situations and have optimism

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All of this is excellent advice that I’d like to second!

Just would like to add that, at least in my mind, good bankroll management (as well as the hand-in-hand concept of understanding what expected variance is in your game type) is crucial to becoming a successful reg. There are many excellent articles here on CardsChat in case you want to improve in these areas.

Best of luck to you! :)

I feel like this is key for you. No matter how good you are, if you play with your current BRM you'd go broke every single time. Just search for bankroll management in poker, either through google or YT. Plenty of good advice to be found out there!