How to balance poker stress and regular stress?

W

WinglessSoldier

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm an aspiring poker player right now, constantly studying to improve my game, but recently this year, July to be exact, I had considerable amount of stress from poker and my summer job. It was so bad that I had occasional panic attacks. I had worked as a collection officer during the summer months, now currently in school studying software engineering. I was able to put 200 hours of play and studying into a given month. Now, I can only spend about 10 to 25 hours if I'm lucky. I'm so afraid of the stress levels poker gave me that I cannot focus properly. I had no one to talk to about this, as my friends and family don't believe in gambling.

Does anyone have any advice?

dnegsisabadreg

dnegsisabadreg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do you feel stress while playing? Is it because you're afraid of losing the money you bought in with? If so, I would recommend being more conservative with your bankroll management. Variance can be a lot easier to stomach if you know you have more than enough buy-ins to handle the swings with.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Try approaching the game as a hobby rather than as another income stream, or job. Should you still find the game stressful, I would suggest you give it up. Looking for ways to make ones life more stressful seems counterproductive.

veronica

veronica

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stress affects the body , the brain , and so does the ability to make decisions , influencing significantly in the development and results of the game. One of the reasons why stress appears is frustration.
The goals away and seem more difficult . An example is if two or three lanterns are made and these are discovered , so that a high amount of chips (or money) is lost and also reduces confidence in oneself.
It is receiving constant pressure from other players. A continuation bet is raised repeatedly , so it forces you to think carefully about why this and creates the uncertainty of not knowing what to do , leading to increased stress . and it ends up hurting us .

R

reena915

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Stress

Are you learning at poker? Are you good at the game or do you lose consistently? It depends closely on the reason poker stresses you out. There are exercises for relieving stress. You can find most of them for free online or you can get books from the library.. Yoga is one way, there are tapes also. If you know what it is about playing that stresses you then you can find a solution that works for you.

mar_dragan

mar_dragan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why you have stress from poker??
Losing money or what??

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are studying the game you should be able to beat the lower levels. Likely you are on a downswing or have moved up and aren't winning anymore. There is less stress when you're winning. Drop back down for a while.

rensks

rensks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are stressed about losing the money you should play with play money, because a stressed mind is no good in a real money tBle, you will make bad choices, better go with play money if you like the game... Until you think you are ready for any result in a real money table

C

clarence crumpet

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker should be fun, try to not stress and lower your buy ins

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I came to CC and started to be active, I had $20 left on Full Flush, and stressed would be an under statement for me. I was so angry I hated poker and had no confidence left in myself any more. So that is what I started talking about first, just like you are now. I got a lot of feedback, opinions, and great advice, but it was up to me to use what I was given. I did, and worked on nothing but tilt and stress for 6 or 8 months. These days I can take whatever the game throws at me. I'm just not going back to what I was like 1 1/2 years ago. The best thing about it is that you know there is a problem, so it can be fixed. GL to you

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you're working money seems like its on hand, at least that's how it is for me. I end up not playing as fluently as I would if I were working with one limited bankroll. So when I'm working I try and limit myself to a few multi-table tournaments that are spread out over a few days. This helps me because I find the love for poker again rather than just trying to make some more money quickly. It does sound like you play a lot and have a good head on your shoulders to succeed which is a very positive attribute to carry with you. I would suggest just playing when you feel like you want to play instead of wanting to win money. It's worked for me for the most part.

As for the stress, work stresses everyone out and I'm sure you're aware that you can't bring that to the table or else you will find yourself in a hole (my experience) and not love the game like you used to. I work out before a play to boost my confidence in myself and mental well being so give that a try. It doesn't have to be anything too serious, 50 push ups and sit ups go a long way mentally.

Keep staying positive and play the game that you love on your terms. I hope this helps bud! :)

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need a little rest from the game.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dont play poker if are feeling stressed.Chances you will tilt even more.

zsoltyx2

zsoltyx2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I pause or play no more

.we put dangerous stress of mind

Last edited by a moderator:
S

sunshine0410

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you I would take a break with playing poker. Focus on your software engineering studies and when this is getting better and your not so stressed with studying, restart playing poker and you will see you are going to feel better and it's going to make fun again.

G

GoldCaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stress is impossible to avoid. How to deal with it is a mystery. Not a game for boys.

mariel619

mariel619

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its always good to take a break, esp if your up in a tourney or a cash game,
go to the store, make something to eat, use to restroom. just dont stay playing
while your stressed

AlyLauren

AlyLauren

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess you are overthinking about the money that you have invest in poker, remember when you play just try to enjoy it. Balance your time, know when to play and stop. We can always maximize are time so that we can do the things that we want. :)

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is stress game
you can get rid of tilt we are not robots
if you have problems with stress in real life - poker is not the option.
i dont play poker stressed - it is far from my A game

of course if poker for you is just a fun and hobby - play it and have fun, play micro stakes and dont care about the money.
but poker is a game of adrenaline - anyway it will affect you and lead to stress

MARE12KING

MARE12KING

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to deal with stress or tiredness is to make pauses more often or even longer. Also, you shouldn't play poker for real money just to play even if you are tired or if you are under stress. That way leads only in loosing money and time.

So, take a rest, quality sleep and be ready for a poker session (if you play cash game) or for the tournament. If you play tournament, be sure that you have enough time for it. It could take 5-6 or even more hours. Take some food and drink with you and let the game begin ;)