Hours of play in poker

tipejo767

tipejo767

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many players spend a lot of time in different poker tournaments. Based on your experiences, how many hours of play in the day is considered adequate for a person to play without it being considered an addiction?

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6 - 12 hours. One good MTT tournament is enough.

During the entire free day, you can play cash or zoom sessions. I think it's 2 hours, with breaks of an hour. Or more will be better. The more you rest, the better.

About addiction: if you start playing poker, you're addicted.

Last edited:
elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a very difficult question to answer... First analyze if the player is professional or casual, if he is in a tournament, sit, spin or cashgame, check what is the player's skill level and in what limits he is playing, then think about the blind structure, tournament speed, field, if it is satellite and etc ...

Playing MTT of slow structure the player will tend to spend more time in the game, maybe days, unless it is eliminated fast, whereas they can have sit and go games for 1 hour, a little more or a little less, and a spin game can last a few minutes or only seconds, while cashgame games have no time limit, a player should plan to choose a session length that is comfortable for him, and he can interrupt earlier if he has already won, or even lost, enough for a day, being that sometimes we can extend the session a little, to enjoy a good phase, but it is more correct to avoid prolonging it for a long time.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don’t think the amount of hours determines the addiction.
If you can easily walk away from the table or the machine without feeling bad, or if instead of poker you can easily choose a child's birthday or any other program that you just officially choose, then it is not an addiction.
Even if someone spends a significant portion of their free time playing poker. I think so.
Obviously, if it’s hard to stop playing and cause sleepless nights, if someone doesn’t play for days then that might already be a problem.

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For example I don't know how many hours are the norm of the game but I know if you play a lot you get tired and make too many mistakes in the game .

eniseysmail

eniseysmail

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Three hours is enough for me. Then I just get tired, as a result I start making mistakes.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
horas de poker

Hi. I play after work, in the afternoon. and the hours depending on how far I go in the tournaments, if I get to the final table I can be playing between 4 and 6 hr. but it is not every day. I couldn't tell you about poker addiction. Playing poker amuses me and helps me financially, because I withdraw money weekly

C

chinezu23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed poker is like a drug. you will never quit playing .

N

nellorossi83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends. You have to play when you are enjoying it. But it cant disturb another things you have to do during the day. I play 4 hours in a day, but in busy days i dont play

1KrazyMofo

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think hours has a lot to do with it, its weather or not you can easily break away from it, you can play many hours as a pro or even a semi-pro trying to grind out a bankroll to become a pro, the truth is you can play everyday for 12-16 hours for 2 months and not be an "addict" its hard work and dedication sometimes.

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
many players spend a lot of time in different poker tournaments. Based on your experiences, how many hours of play in the day is considered adequate for a person to play without it being considered an addiction?

If you feel like you have to be there to win money and losing more then you wanted instead of enjoying the time/hobby then its probably an addiction. On a different subject, your mind and body need rest so its always a good idea to go well rested before any session specially MTT. expect an average of 6 hours for good sessions. 12 hours or more straight might consider getting rest then coming back next day.

E

Erickaie

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
atleast 6

i play atleast 6 hours coz i usually play tournaments.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A tournament does not last less than 4 hours

Mati532

Mati532

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello, with 4 hours playing I am already starting to make mistakes, that's why I consider myself a better player at cash tables, but I would have to improve in tournaments, what do you recommend ??? Cheers!

M

MickGreed

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm retired, so I play alot, but to much then I'm a sloppy player, but I get my chores done, Then I cant wait to get back on so I dont spend my money, 4 or 6 hrs a day, but I shop inbetween talking on fb,

C

casique31

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If someone knows or calculates how many hands are played in a tournament and 500,000 hands are recommended to be semi-pro, they should play about 6 hours a day for the next 8 or 9 years.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, each player has his own daily routine. For example, I work during the day and play poker only in the evenings when I have enough free time, so I usually play 4-5 hours a day.

M

Movi84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if u play every day u are an addict :)

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

In my opinion, addiction to the game only manifests itself when a player loses money that he cannot afford to lose. Such players who do not follow bankroll management can be called dependent. I believe that the number of hours of play per day is not an indicator of addiction on the game.

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, if poker is your only income and your job, then you need to spend as much time playing poker as you do at your regular job.

S

souza155

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not believe that it is possible to determine whether the player is addicted at the time he plays, addiction is when the player loses control, only lives to play poker, stops doing his daily tasks.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on several things:
- Do you play professionally, as hobby or for additional income to your main job?
- What is your physical and mental strength? For how much time you can keep your focus without your game starting to deteriorate?
- What other things you have to do in your life except poker (family duties, work, social life, other hobbies)?

Key thing is to keep the good balance in your life between work, duties and fun. For some people with very tight schedule even 2 hours per day may be too much for example if they play late in the night and this prevents them to sleep for long enough to be fresh on the next day. For other players especially professionals even 8 or 9 hours per day may be ok. This is something that every player should answer for himself/herself. Main question that you need to ask yourself is:

- Is poker becoming obstacle for other activities in my life? Do i take more and more time scheduled for other things to play poker?

If the answer is yes you should consider playing less.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you're playing...I have time to play...Tired of going out...