Home game question .....

T

trixxxter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, say you're playing at home with a bunch of friends. As the cards are being dealt, one slides off the table and lands on the floor. It lands face down. Is that a misdeal and the cards get re-dealt? Or does the person the card was intended for pick it up and continue on with the hand?

M

mohill

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depends i personally will redeal just cause of my ocd. but if everyone is fine with it, especially the one dealt the card, then just roll on. but if the person wants a redeal then redeal its their choice

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My input.

We keep it honest. The first time just pick it up and keep it going. The second or more times in a hundred hands its a miss deal. We do'nt really count the hands but do a rough estimate. Some of us have a ditz and that stuff happens.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You never know whether someone may had seen it or not, so I would just redeal.

PershingSt

PershingSt

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We always just turn it face up and count it as the first burn card . Too much time wasted shuffling :) more hands , more fun

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since home games are usually small stakes among friends and one of the main purposes of such games is more social than financial, I would keep it light and pretty much let everyone have a say, and do what the majority wants. If anyone is bothered, however, then just re deal. Misdeals happen. But it will depend on the players, the dynamic etc.

Often in home games, there is sadly an asshole who will know better/teach/moan about whatever. If something ever happens that threatens to escalate into aggression or ruin the fun for the rest, just ask everyone to excuse this one mistake, and set a rule for the future.

This type of thing has happened to me in home games, and a rule is set. When anything out of the ordinary happens, a redeal is how we cope with it. All of us wait till the deal is done before we look at a card, so that you dont get all pissed off when you are dealt a premium.

Learn from what happens. In the future, speak about possible misdeals and what everyone wants to do about it if/when it happens again.

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, say you're playing at home with a bunch of friends. As the cards are being dealt, one slides off the table and lands on the floor. It lands face down. Is that a misdeal and the cards get re-dealt? Or does the person the card was intended for pick it up and continue on with the hand?

If the card was not exposed, it's picked up and played. If the card was exposed, Robert's Rules of Poker says:

1. If the initial holecard dealt to the first or second player is exposed, a misdeal results. The dealer will retrieve the card, reshuffle, and recut the cards. If any other holecard is exposed due to a dealer error, the deal continues. The exposed card may not be kept. After completing the hand, the dealer replaces the card with the top card on the deck, and the exposed card is then used for the burncard. If more than one holecard is exposed, this is a misdeal and there must be a redeal.

Full rules here: http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Better and fairer is to begin again, but if the game has proceeded and if the card has not been seen, they can continue.

B

Benman120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep seems like something that shouldn't be a controversy. Is your game friendly or more serious?

blitzenfish

blitzenfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the games I attend it has always been treated as an exposed card.... and is shown as thus and used as the burn card. If during that same deal, another card suffers the same fate or exposed... re-shuffle and deal.

Speedbruce

Speedbruce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my home game we always redeal. Someone could get an advantage depending on his cards.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better reshuffle and deal to maintain integrity.

S

ShoTyme

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on how serious the game is. If it's a small game, play on. If it's for more serious money then def reshuffle.

C

CupOfSalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That card should be shown to the entire table, become the burn card for the flop and then that player should be dealt another hole card.

I'm a dealer by the way.

jozsef1990

jozsef1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
trixxxter

Game: Hold Em
Home game question .....

obviously in this case should not be pursued because they shall surely be put to other party can go on the same way I will destroy your fault hereinafter order

C

CupOfSalt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the card was not exposed, it's picked up and played. If the card was exposed, Robert's Rules of Poker says:

1. If the initial holecard dealt to the first or second player is exposed, a misdeal results. The dealer will retrieve the card, reshuffle, and recut the cards. If any other holecard is exposed due to a dealer error, the deal continues. The exposed card may not be kept. After completing the hand, the dealer replaces the card with the top card on the deck, and the exposed card is then used for the burncard. If more than one holecard is exposed, this is a misdeal and there must be a redeal.

Full rules here: http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

This is actually incorrect if the card falls off the table. It's no longer a rule of exposed cards but rather a card out of play.

Organize a Home Poker Game Top 10 Games