Is Holdem the easiest variation of poker?

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So from time to time I flirt around with other variations of poker such as 7 card stud, five card omaha, omaha, draw poker and even the odd high-low game ever now and a again.......and i've been thing mayne, holdem is a way simple game to play and master than those and much less of a gamble.......do u think that holdem is the easier game or do have another that u prefer?

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure Holden is the easiest variant of poker, cause calculating odds is easy comparing to other variant.
So for me , Holdem is much more skill game than omaha h/l, stud, draw where i can't avoid gambling and where downswing is enormous ...

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i have played omaha and draw, and my answer is yes, holdem is easiest variant of poker and that is the reason why holdem is the most popular poker game.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think so, but i think it depends -double or nothings, full rings super turbos, and aiofs are seem fairly easy, but very deep stack six max seems very challenging

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, if took 20 minutes and flirted with other variations (play money or micro) then u'll see what I mean..........

I've played almost every variant a few hours. But i can't say which one is the easiest. My first intention would say Single draw 5 cards.

S

Sohmurr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on what you mean by easiest? Easiest to learn and play? To study? Easiest to beat?

If you mean easiest to learn and play, then I don't think so. 5 card draw is really simple, there are only 2 rounds of betting, and no community cards. Much simpler format than Texas Holdem.

Is it easiest to study? Well that depends on whether we're talking cash, tourney, SNG, whether NL, PL, or limit, and what kind of opponents we're playing. But overall, I'd say no. Easiest to study is probably 5 card draw. Again, there are only 2 betting rounds, you have to calculate simpler odds. And the fact that not as many people play it anymore means you can get more value out of 1 hour of study in 5 card draw than 1 hour of study of NLHE.

If you mean easiest to beat, I would draw you back up to my previous statement. Generally, less popular games are softer because people who play to win go where the most players are (at least online). People who play razz or 5 card draw do so, again generally, because they prefer the format for whatever reason.

I think the reason you believe hold'em is easier is because when you play other games, you are probably the fish. So you lose or break even, or maybe win a small amount, but because you are less experienced in these games, they seem harder. (All of this is a complete guess on my part about your poker experience/knowledge, and of course could be completely off base.)

Also consider the plethora of media attention around hold'em. 90+% of poker shows, topics, hand analysis (at least on CC) are about NLHE. So it's easy to think just it's the easiest because it's basically the only game in town, so to speak.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like everything else in poker, this is relative to the player. It depends.

Personally, I find PLO8 and NLO extremely easy, much much easier than HE, but there are plenty of people who would say the opposite.

It's like ice cream. Some of us are Rocky Road, while others of us are Key Lime.

Find the flavor/variant that suits you best and become a master.

Sh4rKi

Sh4rKi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I think Texas Holdem is the easiest variation from all other type of games.
So I think:

1.) Texas Holdem
2.) Omaha Holdem
3.) Omaha Hi/Lo

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't think it is the easiest to play, but big money an appeal is higher.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Razz is easier???
at least, think Razz is less variation than poker.
but holdem is much more popular.

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i remember back in the day of playing stud in the poker rooms in my younger years that was the main game going on. then as i got older when the holdem started getting popular how the people migrated over from stud. so word started getting around on peoples views of holdem i would hear that game was easier and faster meaning more hands per hour which i saw it attract more people that liked to gamble and where a looser bunch with there money. so it was more attractive to me for the fishing was better with the masses. but easier not really all forms of poker have there strategies for optimal play.

123andyp123

123andyp123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No way its easiest to master."It takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master".It involves way more skill than all other variations.(omaha is little harder to learn). To be a good player takes a lot of practice,skills disipline,math,pshycology,and more.Thank goodness you dont have to be a good speller lol.

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By far the easiest game to play, where luck is most predominant in the short term. At least of all the horse games Hold em omah hi lo razz seven card and 7 hi lo there isn't even a close second. I don't know about games like badugi or even open faced Chinese, but the whole reason for Hold em's popularity is it its simplicity.

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's probably the easiest variation to pick up and learn.

J

JamaicanKid

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By far the easiest game to play, where luck is most predominant in the short term. At least of all the horse games Hold em omah hi lo razz seven card and 7 hi lo there isn't even a close second. I don't know about games like badugi or even open faced Chinese, but the whole reason for Hold em's popularity is it its simplicity.

mmmm....u might be on to something here..........

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many things in life take a lifetime to master and poker is no exception

carloskmargo

carloskmargo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
evidently variant easiest poker today is Texas Holdem, but if we go 30 years predominated (7 Card Stud, 5 CARD DRAW) which were the most important home games played in the world and not to mention the best games of the professionals always included those games.

for you and which is the easiest variant?

L

lilnewtdog

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
which ever one you play the most and your opponent plays the least.

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when you say easiest game, its the easiest to learn but not the easiest to master, especially at the higher levels

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Easiest variances and easy to learn also.But to win easier said than done lol.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All of the limit varieties of poker are going to be easier than the big bet versions because MATH RULES IN LIMIT POKER. The type of limit poker players are good at will vary: players with good memory should play stud games where you can see a huge percent of the deck and can practically know what hand your opponent has by 5th street most o the time. Players who are good at deduction and hand reading will do well in flop games where relative strength is more fluid and often hidden because you never see more than seven to nine cards.

X

xRedhood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's the hardest in the sense that you have 2 hole cards only and share resulting cards in a hand. Rather in some that you have 5-7 and can potentially replace them (draws).

Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules