Have You Ever Thought About Quitting Poker?

yelmopoker01

yelmopoker01

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you thought about quitting poker? How was this moment?

Leave your account of negative moments that left you on the path to giving up poker.

Jester36rus

Jester36rus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have no such terrible minds))) I had some periodic "cooldowns" about playing poker, so during it i play more seldom than usually, but i never think about quitting

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that such ideas can be the result of lack self-conscious in your poker talent and skill,cause u can become pro when u can live out all your beats and faults and go further to your aim.That is really tough,that's why we can't psychologically rethink our point cause we even don't know how this statement is important!!!this is my point of view!

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I have thought many times to quit playing poker. The past month or so has been the worst for the negative thoughts to get into my head, and unlike other times, I haven't been able to over come them, because I'm just chasing like $25 freerolls from any where I can find them just to have something to play. The bad thing about it, is the fact, that I have not done this in 5 or 6 years. The only freerolls I've played during that time was the CC freerolls. Matter of fact, The CC freerolls is where I won the money to build a good BR in the first place. It just gets to me to play those small freerolls for several hours, and even if I do cash, it's for pennies. OH WELL

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm normally looking for breaks rather than hanging it up. Good lengthy break can do wonders for the outlook of the game.

K

Kikentai84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
last time i quit poker i played 6 months with a 50 dollar bank roll, i went broke and estimetad calculated i payed the site over 300 dollars :s that was like 4 years ago and now i got bk for like month. whats i s not unlikely if i played whole day and paid 1.6$ each day to the site...

Last edited:
quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I quit online poker for a few years but came back with a new approach and new outlook on it. I also started playing live last year and do take breaks (after two back to back sessions losing 2 BIs each on a small roll) I took about 7 weeks away from live poker to focus on other things in my life and also just get back into the right mindset. I think it varies though. I've lost big pots only to come back a few hands later and play some of the best poker of my life.

Also being real with yourself and expectations. We probably all have stories of running hot whenever we started playing or even a new format (online to live for example). Then when the cards stop coming for a while and we start losing or just barely breaking even we question ourselves for the wrong reasons rather than assessing how we can do better or if we're playing right and still losing coming to terms with that from an almost zen like approach .

If you need a break take one . Poker will be there.

L

Lila66

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a lot of moments like this to be honest.There were a lot of naysayers who tried to bring me down.Now I try to avoid such people in general and my confidence level is a lot higher too now when I'm a bit older, more sure of where I stand in life, I can defend myself and the opinion I have without fearing to do so.

Miester646

Miester646

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've taken breaks from poker that have lasted up to 6 months. I don't think i'd ever give it up completely though. Its just too much fun.

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Such thought was not.Such thoughts ,perhaps visit people who are investing in the poker big money.I have money on poker do not spend...

K

kapos77

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I thought) I stopped playing for a while, but in the end, I continued to play and get more experience in this game.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Often,but each quit thought starts with " tommorow "

steve101651

steve101651

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a weekend where I literally lost almost every hand, and every buy in was soon taken so fast I literally was amazed. I played so bad, it changed the way I look at the game entirely. Maybe I played too many hands, maybe I played the wrong cards, position, tables, etc... but one thing was for sure, I was loosing bad. I may have not been thinking properly, or I had leaked huge reads, but luck wasn't favouring me on this particular occassion. It was so intense I questioned all my previous luck, skill, time spent learning, and studying, and all the winninings I had accumulated in games previous. I seriously questioned why "I love this game", and what my goals were with it. Were they realistic, and attainable? Was this a bad run, the cards, or do I just suck this much. I am actually still recovering from my battered ego as I write this. It's helping me to understand that for as much as we win, there are times, and places where we stand to loose equally as much. To take the good with the bad, and to be more grateful, and humble when luck is on my side. Be as good of a winner, as I was a looser. One thing I know for certain now, I've never known how many trash hands one can get to flop the nutz, and how many premium starting hands are worthless after the flop. The only difference between the two, is it's harder to fold Queen/Queen over 3-5 offsuit.

eueu

eueu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I already thought about giving up when I could not deposit and I ended up playing the wrong way, and I was also out of the bankroll limit. So I lost a hand where I had more than 70% chance against an opponent. And at this point I had wagered all my bankroll and ended up going to $ 0. That's how I thought about giving up poker. But it was two weeks, and I decided to go in again, and I had already forgotten all the bad things that had happened to me. My hope for poker is bigger than anything else in my life. So now I'm being careful not to lose my little bankroll again.

S

Sourtubbie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I quit pokerstars for about 3 years recently and it felt good to get away for a well. I was playing 14hour days of poker on my down days and it took a toll on my life outside poker. Switched to live once a week and it was a great release.

Sometimes you need to step away to see if you can step away. If not than its a problem and this is not unsusual by any extent for people to get addicted.

rodrigo1972

rodrigo1972

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sometimes when i bust my bank I think about it LOL

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you thought about quitting poker? How was this moment?

Leave your account of negative moments that left you on the path to giving up poker.
Never!!!cause when we started then do it till the win.when u think about quitting u shove your weakness and leak of desire to develope.so just teach yourself and there is a thing that it s only our aim to be succesful and nobody else!!!dont be upset and go on to stars!!
Per aspera ad astra!!!
Gl ...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many times, but not because of "bad" beats, losses, downswings, etc...
but because I get bored of the game sometimes.

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How many funny stories ... Finish poker can and should be only in one case - if you can not win. Poker requires certain mathematical abilities and character traits. If you do not have it - you will not be successful. You will be just a cash cow for professional players and of course - poker rooms. All the rest for success simply requires labor and patience.

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never it is simply game, which helps to earn some money( but not for all players).

vadimknyshov

vadimknyshov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I often thought about etov, but then rested for a couple of weeks and again returned to the game

U

UberPokerFan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was going to joke and say "Not in the last 5 minutes" but in all seriousness, I've not come very close. Every time I get to wondering why I keep playing (because I'm losing), once I look at hand histories of hands I've lost I can usually see where I made a mistake or I can see where my opponents had a lucky streak. That keeps me going.

D

danielsa8911

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yes. Its a depressing feeling but I will never quit poker. If anything I'll just take a small break from playing