Handling Bad Beats in Poker

P

pokeyourface

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I handle online bad beats by telling the person how bad they are. Live as well. I used to not want to start drama live, but I don't care any more. so many donks in poker these days, and some need to be str8 up punched in the face. My favorite line live is "You are bad, you suck so bad". If they wanna talk crap back or fight im all for it. lol

cdooley72

cdooley72

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am getting better dealing with them as time goes on. I just keep telling my self that it is part of the game and there is nothing you can do about it. It is going to happen no matter what.

A

AggieNiebs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Its simply a part of the game, just remember that every bad beat could easily have been a big pot for you, thats what you wanted afterall

midgetfactory

midgetfactory

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its simply a part of the game, just remember that every bad beat could easily have been a big pot for you, thats what you wanted afterall

I think thinking like this will make the bad beat harder to take lol.

tonybill76

tonybill76

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats suck. The only consolation for me is "Did I at least make the right move?" If it was a matter of me betting or calling, at least I can take consolation in the fact that over time I'm going win the majority of the same situation. At least I'm hoping that last statement comes true, hasn't been working out so great lately. LOL.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh, I handle online bad beats by telling the person how bad they are. Live as well. I used to not want to start drama live, but I don't care any more. so many donks in poker these days, and some need to be str8 up punched in the face. My favorite line live is "You are bad, you suck so bad". If they wanna talk crap back or fight im all for it. lol

all in all yea poker sucks when you get beat bad or miss a cash by a few spots. but in the end its just cards. if you cant play and have fun thru bad beats and all stop playing.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad beats suck but if you go on tilt a $5 bad beat could end up costing you many $ more.
If you play poker bad beats happen, but any amount of ranting, raving and insulting players is not going to change the cards, just accept they will happen.
If you have to stop playing for a while til you calm down.
I am sorry but if you cant take bad beats you shouldnt play poker, they are going to happen, accept it.
Pokeryourface, with an attitude like yours people must love playing you. I love it when players rant and rave, they are ATM's to be plundered.
As for " If they wanna talk crap back or fight im all for it" I would suggest you have a lot of growing up to do.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats suck but if you go on tilt a $5 bad beat could end up costing you many $ more.
If you play poker bad beats happen, but any amount of ranting, raving and insulting players is not going to change the cards, just accept they will happen.
I am sorry but if you cant take bad beats you shouldnt play poker, they are going to happen, accept it.
Pokeryourface, with an attitude like yours people must love playing you. I love it when players rant and rave, they are ATM's to be plundered.
As for " If they wanna talk crap back or fight im all for it" I would suggest you have a lot of growing up to do.
:eek: Oh No He Didnt! Yes He Did.

frodobaggins

frodobaggins

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad beats suck. The only consolation for me is "Did I at least make the right move?" If it was a matter of me betting or calling, at least I can take consolation in the fact that over time I'm going win the majority of the same situation. At least I'm hoping that last statement comes true, hasn't been working out so great lately. LOL.

Very good point. I myself tend to have a very chill personality. When it comes to taking a tough lose, I do exactly what you suggest, take a step back and evaluate how I played that hand. If I did everything right I can't really get too upset.

I

Iselo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find that just laughing it off works really well and I mean literally laughing it off. You'll forget about it quicker plus it puts you in a better mood. Sure, it's hard to force laugh/smile when your feel like putting your fist through the screen (especially when a bad beat happens on the bubble or against a really bad oppenent) but it does work wonders. Try it!

GL HF

sam1chips

sam1chips

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I say as well...if I get my money in good that's all you can do, everything else after that is out of your hands

S

Scott555

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just was in the carbon freeroll with 5000 people I was top 5 in chips with 100 people left or so. I get pocket kings someone gos all in I call. They get pocket queens and of course hit trips on the flop. Basically wasted my time outlasting 4900 people and getting bad beat out of it....that's poker I guess at least it was free. I just tell myself I made the right move and leave it at that.

Tom1559

Tom1559

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I went out of the APAT Scottish Open Amatuer last year with AA v 24. I was in small blind and everyone folded to me. I raised 3BB which was 1200 at that time and BB puts me all in. Obviously I am calling and he shows 24. Flop comes out 24 something I cannot remember and then a 4 hits on the River to rub it in. We were pretty even in chips him a few hundred more. I counted to 10 got up and walked away.
I tend to say very little after bad beats and I just keep telling myself that I want to be in the same situation with the same cards and the same guy a few more times because I know if I am am I am going to walk away winning in the long run.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you have to let it all go, neo

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just was in the carbon freeroll with 5000 people I was top 5 in chips with 100 people left or so. I get pocket kings someone gos all in I call. They get pocket queens and of course hit trips on the flop. Basically wasted my time outlasting 4900 people and getting bad beat out of it....that's poker I guess at least it was free. I just tell myself I made the right move and leave it at that.

how can you even get mad at that? not even a badbeat. sure you shouldve won but its just standard. its like x100 easier to take when its a super standard spot that you wouldve played exactly the same if you were him. it should be when he shoves with 49o, you call and he hits trips on the flop that you need a way to handle your rage

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A thought for the day . When we consider bad beats one person may think differently what is to them a bad beat is , compared to what another person thinks is a bad beat .

i think we have to consider what the situation is and a player may be thinking . if its folded to a player in late position is that player shoving his chips to steal blinds hoping hes not running into a hand ? some players think that you wont believe them if they bet so they shove and put their tourney on the line to get the blinds . So is it that a bad beat if that player has 24 off and gets called with say AK aand the 24 wins with a pair ?

Do we look to see what they had and make judgement on what they had for starting cards and not take into consideration if preflop it was folded to them so they raise with any 2 cards and gets called but not raised and still gets to see a flop . They hit and have no reason to fold now and will play out the hand .how did they play out the hand ? was played accordingly to the situation and not based on just the 2 cards in front of him ?

Just a thought good skill on the felt :) gus201

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So is it that a bad beat if that player has 24 off and gets called with say AK aand the 24 wins with a pair ?

no. thats not even close to a bad beat. again, this is a super standard 60/40ish spot (assuming m= whatever it should equal, prob something like <10? dont really know, not a tourney player). this will happen on the reg to anyone who plays poker on any kind of semi serious level, and if you cant deal with it you shouldnt be playing in the first place (obv if its the difference between 1st/2nd in a massive MTT, or has just occured for the 30th time that day etc its a different story). but generally, serious players are totally okay with this kind of thing happening, and as a general rule it doesnt tilt us. what is hard to deal with is when our opponent does something stupid into our nutted hand and somehow manages to runner runner a suckout. these are the beats that are hard to deal with and put us off our A game, and therefore are the ones we need to find strategies for to help us tilt less and stay as close to our A game as humanly possible.

An example, i once 3b shoved a flop @ 25NL with AT on 887, i thought that he was FOS when he raised the flop. turns out he flopped a boat with 77. the turn and river came running tens to give me a bigger boat. A high cracks a full house AIOTF. no matter how good that player was, and how good he is at not tilting, this wouldve tilted him and put him off his game. this is a badbeat, and the kind with which we need to constantly try and find better ways to deal with, imo of course.

hope that makes sense

baerrus

baerrus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well said

D

deeshark420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
handling a bad beat

when i am in a hand and get a bad beat sure the first thing i want to do is say wow your an idiot but we should really like the fact that that is also to our advantage so why argue or get upset its better to beat those like that with your better skill in the long run it pays to play and not get frustrated too bad with the bad beats and get chat revoked or give any info out to a bad player.just my view goodluck to handling badbeats they will always happen.:D

OneVillain

OneVillain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really care about bad beats. Not that I don't care about losing, but it doesn't matter to me how it plays out. There are so many more gradual ways to be lucky or unlucky.

Dank Hugh

Dank Hugh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my advice ?

spark a fatty !

Dank

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I must be getting better at taking bad beats. I haven't broken any mouses (is that a word? Mice didn't sound right either, lol) or broken my hand in a few years, I just suck it up and say to myself, I won't remember it in a few hours. Of course I'm a micro player so I don't know how it feels to lose a butt load of cash in one hand. I'm sure it would be a whole different story. Take care

F

floatstone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When i experience a bad beat i just say to the other player "thats poker"

The one thing you should remember is that you got your money in with the best hand. You played the best you could. That's what matters most

We all will experience the other end by sucking out a 1 outer on the river. I get more upset at my self in this instance, and i say to the other player "thats poker"

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bad Beats

In the beginning it seems like the world is against you and that something can't be right. I used to think online poker was a big set up but then I started to play more live cash games and tournys and quickly realized its not just online. So let me tell you my three phases of handling bad beats.

Phase 1- (year 1-2)=disbelief, shock, strong feeling of unfairness

Phase 2- (year 2-4)=no way to describe it but to say huge rush, almost an adrenaline rush as that 2 outer hit on the river, slight enjoyment ( or at least i rationalized it like that to better deal with it), you know when you get all flush and all the blood rushes from your head...yeah like that, almost like a masochist

Phase 3-(year 4-present)= detachment, not surprised, no feelings at all

I guess more phases to come considering I'm only in the 5th year of my poker career.

Peace

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands