Going card dead

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
During MTTs there always a time when it seems you just don't pick up a hand for hours. Just wondering how people deal with this? How you do not get frustrated and start playing any junk just to play a hand can be frustrating. Thoughts?

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday...might be a good time to look at play,maybe pick up a hint about somebody...most of all if u have some chips..patience...thanks darrell

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to play more aggressively and with trash handles, if someone comes with a stake, puts 3 bets with a garbage handle, you can not wait for only strong hands, they are very rare, and not the fact that you can win a big pot with them.

P

PokerWahoo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play more tables if you are getting bored. Open some playchip tables if necessary. However, make sure the additional tables does not cause you to play worse

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always try to wait it out. I find that way too many people shove with subpar hands way too early. With the quicker blinds in online MTTs you can wait it out until very short and still roar back with a single all-in win when you factor the folded blinds and antes.

Dusan

Dusan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
relax,
order a new drink and watch the TV screen :tee:

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There will always be ebbs and flows during a long tournament. Patience is a big must. If the blinds are still relatively low you can just wait it out. If they are higher you need to take a risk and try to steal blinds and antes in position. Don’t be afraid to fold if you get caught from a reraise. If you haven’t been playing much, hopefully people will realize this and expect that you have a monster hand and will fold.

Good luck.

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start playing position and make sure to follow betting patterns. Pick your spots and find ways to take pots down from people playing too tight. Also it just happens and sometimes you have to just accept your fate and stay the course and don't change your game unless it's flawed or you're making bad moves.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There will always be ebbs and flows during a long tournament. Patience is a big must. If the blinds are still relatively low you can just wait it out. If they are higher you need to take a risk and try to steal blinds and antes in position. Don’t be afraid to fold if you get caught from a reraise. If you haven’t been playing much, hopefully people will realize this and expect that you have a monster hand and will fold.

Good luck.

Start playing position and make sure to follow betting patterns. Pick your spots and find ways to take pots down from people playing too tight. Also it just happens and sometimes you have to just accept your fate and stay the course and don't change your game unless it's flawed or you're making bad moves.

I agree with these comments. Just keep playing your game. Remember, you will NOT cash in the vast majority of MTTs you play. Goes for everyone. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It happens to us all all the time. You need to be patient and make timely plays. If you have been just folding say for 15 to 20 hands raise the next time you are in late position with any reasonable hand. Most player will have seen you folding and folding and will give you some respect and fold more often than not. Just make sure to pick hands that have some value if you are called. This will help you a lot in keeping your stack from just dwindling anyway to nothing.

Z

Zhud

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's normal that you do not get any premium hand for 10-20 minutes. But in the late position, you can not only play them, but the suited and mismatched connectors often come in. and with them you can think of something in later positions

P

popstani

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like somebody before sed, it happens to all of us. Most important is to stay focused, don’t lose patience and don’t lose to many chips during deadcard period . It can be even for an a hour maybe even more. Never lose faith and cards will come to you eventually

A

AAbyss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is necessary to play against people, not against cards

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah I agree with what's been said. I've found I can still pick up pots with trash in position but I found in a few tourneys lately that there always seemed to be a big stack or two to my right opening up and being aggressive it's easier to play these hands with a stack but when your short obvs makes it more difficult thanks guys!!

Justin Bloomquist

Justin Bloomquist

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remain patient and wait for good cards.

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I netflix
and chill while waiting on cards.. But play the players too.
sometimes u dont need cards. Just represent. thanks for all the other comments. these help me with my own game

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Being card dead happens to everyone in my oppinion. This is the time to steal blinds or even earlier you should make a habit of it to steal blinds from time to time...Actually as often as possible.
Especially when you are in position and when you have a read on someone. Observe the players and figure out who will be likely to fold to your raises.

F

freddy the monster65

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
after you play in a lot of games you will learn how to be patience people are telling me thay is the key to success good luck with that

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
youtube and maybe you are being a nit just loosen up and play position

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the time you are better off taking profitable spots sooner rather than waiting and blinding down hoping a big hand comes your way.

The top-heavy prize pools should incentivize you to play for deep runs (especially top 3 finishes) and you do this more often with a big stack.

Ideally you can find spots to re-raise over loose raisers with 20-25bbs and open shove less than premium hands when first into the pot (in the 15bb and under range) to keep your stack growing through-out the tournament.

Good luck!