Are freerolls not part of gambling?

A

always2away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wouldn't playing a game with some element of chance and a prize of real value be considered some measure of gambling, regardless of one's investment?
In a real sense all of life is some measure of gamble.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmmmm,,,,what are we playing for? :hmmmm: lol

D

droozy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls are for fun and training - you have free chance to play for the real money; nothing more or less.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since my money is not involved in buy-in, would it be fair to say that freerolls are not part of gambling?
I suppose you're looking to play online poker with a fear of being labelled a "gambler",,,,My advice to you be,,,You can't live your life in fear of what others will think of you.This is YOUR life,,,,and you can live it any way you want,without hurting others. :)

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that freerolls are part of gambling. Because in the case of winning a sum of money it is necessary to pay taxes. But here it is necessary to consider the tax legislation of each country separately.

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
freerolls is biggest gambling method :D :D

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are gambling wit your time

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are not risking money, but you are gambling your time and energy.

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The same game just does not require payment for the input that's the whole difference.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let everyone thinks how he wants about freerolls, and you need to play as a buy-in...

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since my money is not involved in buy-in, would it be fair to say that freerolls are not part of gambling?
definition of gambling

play games of chance for money; bet.
synonyms:bet, wager, place a bet, lay a bet, stake money on something, back the horses, try one's luck on the horses; More
what bets or money are you using?
freeroll not risking anything my answer is
NO good luck:)

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gambling requires payment (input)

The same game just does not require payment for the input that's the whole difference.
That is the point. By definition gambling requires payment for the input with expectation of certain results (output). My question was, since no input is there, therefore can we say freerolls not a part of gambling?

R

Rivaud

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

There is nothing of monetary value at stake so it is not considered gambling imo...however you're spending 'time' so some may consider it as such?!

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think gambling would imply a monetary risk which freerolls would not have. And as far as time invested --well you could also think of it as free entertainment

P

prizzy711

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The time is a big part of it. Interesting question...

NBDG8477

NBDG8477

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
life is a gamble so freerolling is a gamble too maybe not as much risk but still a gamble nonetheless

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is the point. By definition gambling requires payment for the input with expectation of certain results (output). My question was, since no input is there, therefore can we say freerolls not a part of gambling?
but as soon as you click register on 1 dollar game with freeroll wnnings you are gambling;)

FIERROS

FIERROS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are not risking money, but you are gambling to win money.

clubsta

clubsta

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're mainly playing the freeroll for the fun and experience I'd say no not gambling, but like hugh blair said--once you use freeroll winnings to pay for a game then you're gambling (cash in hand gambled).

T

tb87

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends who you are asking, if you are asking yourself are you gambling, well that depends : If you think poker is gambling or more skill based. However if you are asking a random person if playing poker without risking anything is still gambling, I think the answer is yes. If you have a chance to win something, and you have to commit something ( you still are AKA your time ) then you are gambling.

Tony Vayer

Tony Vayer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls are part of the games taking place in the poker room. The poker room is a game of chance. Hence freerolls are also gambling. Am I wrong?

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say poker is not gambling. In poker players with more skill win more, with gambling players with more skill lose less.

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say poker is not gambling. In poker players with more skill win more, with gambling players with more skill lose less.

With skill we can only adjust the odds better into our favor if playing against less skilled opponents. It is still not a guarantee you will win any game at any time. The definition of gambling from wiki is : Gambling is the wagering of money or something of value on an event with an uncertain outcome with the primary intent of winning. So unless you are playing a freeroll, received a free ticket to an event or playing for play chips, poker most definately is gambling. If your a skilled player, the odds of winning are good, but a win is never guaranteed.

Related Gambling Guides: AU Gambling - CA Gambling - UK Gambling - NZ Gambling - Online Gambling Freeroll Passwords