Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Lately I have played many freeroll tournaments and I feel that because I am playing a lot of freerolls this is hindering my evolution in why I wonder if it's the same with you? And how can I play freeroll without disturbing my evolution in my game? Anyone have tips?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

P86

P86

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freeroll is a different strategy than normal MTT or Sit & go

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What exactly is this expressed in? Perhaps you perceive the freeroll as an insufficiently valuable game and play too closely?

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must develop two styles of play. freerolls are loose and excessive betting. Cash Tournaments are best played tight and aggressive. You can't expect to see the same cards shown in freerolls as in cash tournaments and it can be very frustrating. If you have the money, stay away from freerolls if they cause you trouble.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play a lot of freerolls and haven’t noticed the effect of the freerolls on other tournaments. In other tournaments I play with a different strategy. Although each tournament has differences and must be entered into the strategy.

G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you mainly playing cash games, MTTs or SnGs normally? If you're playing mostly cash games any sort of tournament play will generally require serious adjustment and that can go back the other way.

VMVarga

VMVarga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to not just play freerolls. Mix them in with some micro buy in games

Also, not all freerolls are created equal. The CC daily freeroll is more like a normal 1 dollar buy in game. I don't think I am alone when I say that I think the CC freeroll is by far the best freeroll available to us US players.

And you'd better know for sure if it is the freerolls messing up your progress and play or if it is something else. If it is not the cause of your problem, then trying to fix the problem by not playing freerolls is not going to help at all; you will still have the problem and are likely to create new ones by trying to fix something that isn't broken.

One thing that I find usually helps me when I feel like I am getting complacent or not playing up to standards is to watch others play while getting to see the hole cards exposed. It can be just some old online videos, or re watching some of the PS million dollar sunday games when they replay the final tables. Either way, I always feel like that helps me get out of my own head and back into the mindset of the skilled, confident poker player that I feel I have the potential to be on a consistent basis; specifically, it can help you realize how certain types of players are prone to behave, like what size and type of betting they frequently engage in, what ranges they prefer and when, and what patterns and mistakes they make when taking certain lines.

FerC182

FerC182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lately I have played many freeroll tournaments and I feel that because I am playing a lot of freerolls this is hindering my evolution in why I wonder if it's the same with you? And how can I play freeroll without disturbing my evolution in my game? Anyone have tips?
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

make a test, try to focus on only one type, or freeroll or only paid tournament and see if the result is the same.

B

BesseNuts

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freeroll has a different gameplay. People dont lose money. That changes everything.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that you should mix it up a bit if you can afford to play tournaments with an entry fee. However, aside from that, your approach should be the same as any other tournament, with the exception that you should expect to see a bit more loose play early on from your opponents.

In any case, a $100 prize pool is enough for many players (opponents) to take it seriously. They're still investing their time after all, which nobody likes to waste.

In the end, I don't think that freerolling can harm your evolution as a player. You're free to approach the game with whatever style works for you. :)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right on BesseNuts. Very true.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to adapt and play them with different mentality and strategy as others suggested above.

If you cannot do both then stick to one or another.

VivicvrMga

VivicvrMga

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WHY DO YOU BELIEVE THAT FREE Is disturbing you? in fact free does not help or hinder evolution. if you really believe in that stop the free and play real money

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Freerolls tend to be more of a bingo game from time to time and if you get lucky in the beginning, you will be able to make the money. Definitely try to mix in some micro buy-ins if you can. Each one is a different strategy.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not your entire fault, it's the way other players make their choices on a freeroll, that kills all the fun that smart poker has.

H

hookmeout

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are crapshoot until mid level.

A

aj1300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are definitely a different animal. Lots of crazy, aggressive play at the outset. When people have nothing invested, they are certainly more likely to play wider and bet differently than a buy-in tournament.

S

Shooter74

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes I have the same impression ... however when I play a paid game it seems that something is missing to grow my game ....

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
If you think you are ready to play, throw money on tournaments and play. Freerolls are a great experience that will be felt in the future.
Do you think you have already learned a lot?
I believe that if you do not win the limit on which you are playing at the moment, you will never win the next limit.
This is just my view on the presented problem.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not know how to tell or advise you, if you have a good bankroll, then you try to play only good tournaments and focus on them and you will be good at winning tournaments and you will get good experience in the game and you will not need it - Freerolls for the game, for me personally in the game - does not interfere when I play the freeroll and in another tournament at the same time for me the opposite is better to try to win and get a win!

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

The freerolls are like any other game. They are necessary for bringing the hole cards back into the positive hit range. Lets say you played a tourney all the whole cards are shot but you made it to final table. Anything goes on the final table. They had to be as lucky as you. But see you want to repeat on final table. Then you go to a freeroll to put the hole cards in the advantage again. Its a good idea to get out of a freeroll when the hole cards are at the advantage. "The hole cards lost a lot" Because your just going to take away the advantage you worked so hard to get.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing in freerolls requires a serious attitude, as in games for money. But if freerolls interfere with your development, then do not play freerolls. Try investing a small amount of money and playing at micro-limits - in this case you will find out if you are ready to play for money.

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you explained why freerolls interfere with the evolution of your poker game? This is a strange remark, we have very worthy opponents in the club, and their game can teach a lot! So who's stopping you to play in other tournaments to feel the difference.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are very difficult

I started playing only freerolls too,but when I made my first deposit at PS I started playing real money.Specialy single table 1; 50$ buy in.I love it!I like to play poker with not too much people.So I prefer single table than freerolls.

Freeroll Passwords