Folding quads?

SouthparkSith

SouthparkSith

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Who has this in their bag of tricks? If you haven't seen or heard John Juanda folded quads at a final table last week.

I don't know that I'd be able to do it? At least not in a similar situation.

He held sixes on an Ace/Ace/6/6Jack board. Could you lay that down?

It's interesting because he eventually won the event and it pretty much sums up the crazy other level some of these guys are on. I mean I don't think I can fold there and am no where near pro material. He lays it down and is a multimillionaire.

So what about you? Can you lay this down? I'd love thoughts either way.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't of got past the flop. I'm shoving right there. Lol. Can't imagine being able to let that go. Even if I thought other guy could have A's I still call. Juanda is one of my favorite players. I'm going to look that hand up right now

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, unless he did it twice, you left out some info and had board wrong. First it was short deck so even with your board I could possibly see it, AA little more possible in short deck. But your big misinformation is board was AA6A6 so, yeah, that's a lot easier fold. Lol

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With the situation you described I don't think I could fold either.
However there are other situations where I would be more likely to fold quads.

TheSeaWizard

TheSeaWizard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm willing to fold a full house but never quads to be honest with you.

I have hit quads over 350 times (yes there are players who hit quads hundreds of times throughout the years) and not even I would fold quads ever. I play pocket pairs too many times.

I can understand folding quads because there's no tournament jackpot (tourney jackpots are pretty non-existent) but folding quads altogether? I could never do that regardless.

madjek

madjek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm willing to fold a full house but never quads to be honest with you.

I have hit quads over 350 times (yes there are players who hit quads hundreds of times throughout the years) and not even I would fold quads ever. I play pocket pairs too many times.

I can understand folding quads because there's no tournament jackpot (tourney jackpots are pretty non-existent) but folding quads altogether? I could never do that regardless.
Did you read my post? Board was AA6A6. I could see folding 66 on this board in short deck holdem

U

underdog140

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In Omaha I can fold them but its highly unlikely I will be folding quads in Holdem aside from some very very unique situations.

Pryakin D

Pryakin D

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably wouldn't have dropped it. At least to lose to a quads of aces not so offensively)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have folded plenty of full houses, but I dont think I could get away from 4 of a kind ever.

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I can't say I would ever be able to. Two sets of quads is so improbable, unless opponent's play really makes it obvious that they have AA.

Austria7

Austria7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow. I never heard about folding quads. It´s nearly impossible to fold a medium set when there is no flush or straight possible. And set over set happens sometimes.

I could not fold quads with one exception ... 4 cards on the board giving 2 opponents a straightflush opportunity.

tazzmaster62

tazzmaster62

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
folding quads that would never happen with me.
if i got quads im def going all in all the way hands down.

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even the fact that he still won indicates that he did right.

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's not a lot of information to judge properly. Need to know the relative pot sizes and how large was the bet into him. Still, it takes balls to fold quads.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no I couldn't fold there
no way,,,,the other guy must of had a tell?

callitall77

callitall77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
cant fold quads

I don't think I could ever fold quads, its hard to fold a full house.

S

sheltowee420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I lost with quads, to a royal flush, just a few days ago. I had pocket QQ, the flop was AQ(clubs)+Q. Three players are betting, and I get two min-raises in. The turn was the J(clubs). The only stack above me goes all-in, then a call and a fold, and I am NOT folding my quads. The river was the 10(clubs). So, just remember, if you are playing a hand against me, you will always hit your card.

J

James24543

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Juanda thought Lebedev had an Ace. Its a tough fold, I would have shoved on the flop instead of just calling.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did you read my post? Board was AA6A6. I could see folding 66 on this board in short deck holdem

Even with 3 Aces on the board, I don't think I'd be able to get away from quad 6s. He could easily be betting any pair, thinking that both he and Juanda had pocket pairs, like QQ vs. JJ or something like that. I guess it changes a bit with short deck poker since there are fewer cards, but still. I don't see myself folding quads there.

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't think I could fold quads.

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not folding quads

I think in time credit you will win if you do not fold the quads, so I wouldn't fold unless I risked many chips in a tournament and I knew I could go smoothly to a better payout.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

I couldn't lay it down. However, I know the set up. Playing 6's out of turn and trips coming thinking you folded the winning hand. You also have to watch where the dealer button is when a player wins. Its usually in the same spot it was before when it won. I am just a dishwasher so just lose. Privilege playing with you.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow!! How crazy is that:0) Not me I'm all in. Just shows great restraint from a great player. Now that's listening to your gut:0) I do wonder though, did the other guy have the A's ?

B

bstest

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depending on the opponent's opening bet. 3x , reraise etc I would be concerned, but play on. Good luck.

Folding in Poker