Folding Kings pre/ playing kings.

R

Royallywasted

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Have any of you ever folded kings preflop and was right? And is folding kings in general a bad play? I tend to try to get the money in preflop because everytime I slow play or call a re-raise a damn ace hits the flop... I have folded kings preflop once in a 1/2 NL game and turned out I was wrong. The guy was tight though and was only showing down monsters,Turned out he had queens. A week before this though I had KK in a 60$ turbo tournament, it was the very first hand and I had KK in the bb. Middle position did a 3x raise and I reraised and he jammed all in. I thought about it for a few minutes.. being the very first hand and all. I ended up calling and sure enough he had Aces. I got extremely lucky and hit a king on the flop.. Also how do you play kings facing a re-raise?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Think most of the time you just shove, but this would depend on the stack depths and the villans.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, twice... but you have to have like extremely good reads and the situation has to warrant you missing out on a big pot. That's over 14+ years of playing poker I've done it twice. One was wsop ME, and I was correct and folded vs. someone I just had a complete bead on and they had AA. And the other was in a high stakes cash game online (years ago) and I was against AA.

In general... never do it.

Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once folded pocket K's in a tournament. 6 players were all in and i was one of few left to react, i thinked about it but its 6 other people so i had to fold, but like 1on1 i would never fold them.

R

Royallywasted

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for replies! In the 1/2 game I had about 500$ stack ( started 100) I was running good! The tight player was the only person at the table that had me covered. I think if it was anyone else i would of just got all the money in.. The other stacks were between 60-200$. I had a bit of money invested in the pot preflop but when he shoved all in. I just folded. I think part of it too was I had invested 6 hours at the table that day and d idnt want to put it all on the line.

The tournament i d idnt know the guy at all was my first time playing with him. I just couldn't put him on a hand besides AA but I just couldn't fold lol.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw Jon Juanda fold kings preflop in a WPT event one time but his read was way off and he looked a bit foolish on the play but he didnt look foolish for long because he ended up winning. There is one time when I might fold them and that is when you are close to the money bubble and you have a big stack and you 3 bet and then all of a sudden you are 4 bet by someone that also has a lot of chips. In this case it would be very likely they have aces. I would probably just call and if an ace come i would fold to any bet. If an ace doesnt come on flop and I was faced with big bets it would be very scary.

xbronk

xbronk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
happened to me yesterday I had kk being utg and I lost against the AA of a sb that I played slow play opening a flop of AK-2 turn K I gave it all in my hard emotion the time that the diler was hard in burning the card to throw the river A and I closed with ace poker and I with Ks poker I ended up pushing all my chips into the pot luckily I had more chips than him but I felt that I lost my luck and ended up doing a bad performance after that hand I could not recover:(:confused::mad:

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think I could fold kings preflop unless it was a very specific bubble situation where I would also be willing to fold aces.

M

marcelo benavidez

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends of the game, if you lost all your money, maybe you have to think about it, its not a great hand

wilpinsi

wilpinsi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the timing of the game, the position of allinn, player's game style, stack, are many variables that can change your vision in paying or dropping your KK, whether in the preflop or postflop.
Usually we find another monster on the table when we have KK, it can be an AA, or QQ, or even a smaller pair, and hit the flop, and thus our KK is killed.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There have been a few times I wanted to fold, and would have been right, but I never end up folding..heh.

Whodahustla

Whodahustla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All Pair Hands creates equal

Have any of you ever folded kings preflop and was right? And is folding kings in general a bad play? I tend to try to get the money in preflop because everytime I slow play or call a re-raise a damn ace hits the flop... I have folded kings preflop once in a 1/2 NL game and turned out I was wrong. The guy was tight though and was only showing down monsters,Turned out he had queens. A week before this though I had KK in a 60$ turbo tournament, it was the very first hand and I had KK in the bb. Middle position did a 3x raise and I reraised and he jammed all in. I thought about it for a few minutes.. being the very first hand and all. I ended up calling and sure enough he had Aces. I got extremely lucky and hit a king on the flop.. Also how do you play kings facing a re-raise?

Pair hands are like women, they look good but you can’t trust them. I play them carefully and I pay attention to position. Button, small blind and big blind. Maybe the cutoff and hijack Is pushing it. Even then I’m calling bets preflop. Now if the preflop shows no Ace, I get aggressive with a bet and see if he calls or raises. Usually he’ll call or fold it. At any point if another K comes out I’m all in. If the turn shows no Ace, i’ll bet and see what he does. If at any point he raises massive.........fold them. Thats my play! Good luck!

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Watching where you are playing .. I try to always open a couple of kings from a big raise to knock out as many players as possible and if the flop is A I again raise big enough to understand if there is an A player or not if you call then there is A and Here an easy fold ..

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
depends, if it's cash game or tournament.
If in tourney and on bubble, then probably would, although that depends on the table and how good read I have on those other players.
In a cash game probably wouldn't.

N

Nano5722

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course, good players can also fold even KK pre-flop, but for sure you need to understand, what kind of opponents are playing against you on the table. Because if you will fold it against weak player with bad hand, this will be for sure a bad move.To fold it against very tight player will be a good move.

Bodomovac

Bodomovac

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never, and have never, folded kings pre-flop. But I folded them, quite a few times if A comes on the board.

But it really depends on the type of players you are playing against. Sometimes it's good to fold them, but I would never fold them pre-flop. If he has AA in his hands, then so be it.

johnwat2

johnwat2

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Depends on position and players. If an Ace comes after you put in a healthy raise,
and an Ace comes,you may be in trouble. For me , I have folded kings after the flop but it is really hard.

S

savageanimal8

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing those kings, especially in heads-up preflop situation would be common sense. But as you could imagine, luck can sometimes be a 'female dog'.
I don't think I could fold kings preflop unless it was a very specific bubble situation where I would also be willing to fold aces.

I don't know man, I tend to get even more aggressive in the bubble. It can be useful if you're aiming for a really high finish instead of just getting anything out of a game. A lot of players get extremely tight, so I suppose you'd be just fine with your kings.

G

Gr34tWh1t3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good reds on your behalf there,I dont play since about 8-9 years at stakes that would rly make a difference,atm I dont ever fold them, and I dont really remember folding them before also wich is probably why today I am a free/fun player only lol.

mike55k

mike55k

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have done it in satelites many times when I'm pretty much a lock to advance

M

matnautico

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you ever fold kings pre, you will become too exploitable. Just stack off and if your opponent has aces, chalk it up as a bad beat and move on.

S

Soulguard

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Kings folded preflop 1vs1 its a mystake... its only one hand that you are worried and more % the time they wont have it .. even the thight players so u should never fold em even if u loose 3-4 times in a row agains assec because its -EV ... and in multyway its another thing .. u can call and fold ... depends on the tournament or the cash game... I play tournaments and I dont belive that I will fold them in any way even multyway preflop all in action... because I do think its still +EV even if someone has acces sometimes... some times they have lower pairs and AKs which ppl just wont fold ever.. and sometimes u just outflop aces to

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lets say you are 5th out 21 players in big buy in game that pays 20 players 20th prize is $1000 21st is 0 rising steeply no shame in folding kings if the chipleader jams avoiding 20 to 30 percent chance of elimination.:D
You invested hours to get here and lets say $500 buy in surely wait couple more hands get paid?
Have folded everything except AA in these spots to lock up cash including KK as kings lose a lot maybe superstitious but that chipleaders jam always seems to hit miracle cards luck rolls with big stack at times.:)
Bubbe bursts push them and then moan about Barry Greenstein:damnmate:

Last edited:
radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't remember ever folding KK preflop. I have folded after the flop a lot when the ace hits the board or an obvious str8 or flush is appearing on the board. Lately I've been running into KK vs AA a lot. I'm the one with the KK of course. Got to play them though. Otherwise what's the point of even playing poker?

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all...usually never fold kings prefolp,always see flop..u have to play to win....thanks darrell

Folding in Poker