Fold vs. Check

K

koy4714

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do people Fold when they can Check? I've seen it a few times and I'm utterly confused why anyone would not want to check along and see if they catch. They may have a horrible hand but if it's free to continue, why not? Bathroom break? Connection problems? No idea.....

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes its a connection problem. They might have had to do something and didnt want to play the hand. Ive done that a few times where my hand was so bad that i just because i had virtually no draws going for me, why waste time a stick through it if i know the chances of me winning are slim. Its known as a hard check, iirc.

Grumbledook

Grumbledook

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed I have had it happen to me when multitabling

I think i have clicked the button but it times me out and folds instead, sometimes the sites don't always acknowledge your clicks, bit of a pain.

Mind you my computer being a bag of poo doesn't help matters ;]

B

Berserk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people fold when they are looking for low straits.And when high cards flop they get turned off.

Crippler450

Crippler450

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have 2 5 and the flop is J Q K, and everyone had been aggressive, then on the turn an 8 comes, why not fold? YOu know you will NOT win the pot, so why waste time by including yourself in the hand when you can spend your time paying attention to another table.

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crippler450 said:
If you have 2 5 and the flop is J Q K, and everyone had been aggressive, then on the turn an 8 comes, why not fold? YOu know you will NOT win the pot, so why waste time by including yourself in the hand when you can spend your time paying attention to another table.
I agree with this and you will see professional players get out of the way all the time, if the cards give them absolutely no realistic chance to take the pot.

Also, I confess to being caught in a few situations where the hand was completely limped around to the river, there was going to be a showdown, and I didn't want anyone to see the horrible cards I tried to play. The psychological advantages for displaying a terrible hand can be debated, as it may plant a seed in your opponent's mind for later. But sometimes you're just too freakin' embarrassed to turn em over. Mea culpa.

X

xdmanx007

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There have been times when I just got out of the way when you know you are hammered no point in holding things up

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do it by accident all the time. Full Tilt doesn't even give you the option of folding.

IrishDave

IrishDave

A Member
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RammerJammer said:
Also, I confess to being caught in a few situations where the hand was completely limped around to the river, there was going to be a showdown, and I didn't want anyone to see the horrible cards I tried to play. The psychological advantages for displaying a terrible hand can be debated, as it may plant a seed in your opponent's mind for later. But sometimes you're just too freakin' embarrassed to turn em over. Mea culpa.
Agree here. I've played junk mostly from a check on the big blind. There are times I really don't want anyone to see the crap I had...

~~Shelynn~~

~~Shelynn~~

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"RammerJammer"

:hello: Been there done that , couldn't have said it any better.:congrats: Good to remember "PokerPlayers":dito: Best be going all and Good Luck and Good Cards. Hope to see you at the tables,:deal: :wavey:

N

notfit66

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like rammer and dman are saying I will fold to a check when the hand for me is definitely over and I don't have anything to atleast fish for...so i just get out of the way and pay attention.

M

Marino

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i check, you never know what can happen

RammerJammer

RammerJammer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Marino said:
i check, you never know what can happen
Well, actually, Marino, by the time it gets down to the river, you have a pretty good idea of what could happen. The possibilities by then have become fairly obvious. But I hear what you're saying. Nothing wrong with hanging in to the bitter end if it's not going to cost you anything but perhaps a little pride.

MicheleW

MicheleW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some people know they don't have a hand. Let them fold - its one less player to contend with. :)

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Won a hand last night with 42 o/s, fair enough it was my BB and the SB called with 32suited, neither of us hit anything the board was 5h 7d Ad Qc 10s, the SB put in a small bet at the showdown and I called (wanted to see what he was playing, ususally a very aggressive player) and I took the pot down with 4 high GREAT !!! HILARIOUS !!

Folding in Poker