fold instead of showing mucked cards?

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost always fold when I know I have a losing hand instead of checking to avoid showing my mucked cards. I'm pretty sure this is just standard yet I see so many checking and giving away their hand ranges. Whats up with that?

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your hand have no showdown value at all I think it's exactly what you should do. But it's good to be cautious, it's pretty surprising how many pots can Q high or similar kind of stuff take down.

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never fold,and always check,yeah they see my cards,so what? :D I see them too...

_xrolex_90

_xrolex_90

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often fold cards if they have no potential at the moment.I prefer go to showdown only if I have several outs.It depends on the situation, of course.It is necessary to take into account the size of the pot, the number of opponents and their stack.In general, I like to watch free turn and river,especially if I already have some draw ater flop :D

AlexandriaVP

AlexandriaVP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this all has to do with who your playing with. For example if your in a freeroll tournament it doesn't really matter all that much if you show or not until your nearing the final table maybe 100 people left.I say it doesn't matter because so few players are at that level that they would even notice your hand range and if they do notice are hard up to remember. Funny enough I always muck no matter i think its just standard you dont want anyone to know anything. If i show its for one reason only and that is to mess with another player.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why fold when you can check. We might even win the hand.

Online, opponents are not so much concern with muck cards.

AlexandriaVP

AlexandriaVP

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry

I misunderstood, I sometimes will fold rather than check to avoid showing my range but only if I'm 100% positive I'm beat.....

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I misunderstood, I sometimes will fold rather than check to avoid showing my range but only if I'm 100% positive I'm beat.....

Thats exactly what I said. "when I know I have a losing hand" not when I think I have a losing hand.
When my hud shows a .001 winning percentage I just dont see any value at all in checking for free.

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
0.001% > 0%. Depends how good the players you play against are but can't imagine a coupe of showdowns affects things too much. Also can't open fold on some sites.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you really concealing your hand ranges by folding though? If you fold rather than check when you 'know you have a losing hand' isn't that telling your opponent exactly what your hand range was anyway?

Also depends on what site you play on whether this matters or not anyway since some don't even show mucked cards.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont think you should show unless you are doing it for a reason

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SnowedIn
WhereDidMyEVGo
Both good points....but some of the players I play with can pick you apart with the most minuscule of details. also possibly this was just a learned habit out of an abundance of caution. Still I see no reason to check when I can just fold.

WhereDidMyEVGo

WhereDidMyEVGo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont think you should show unless you are doing it for a reason

He's not talking about showing a hand. He's talking about intentionally folding to prevent a showdown instead of checking your option.

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He's not talking about showing a hand. He's talking about intentionally folding to prevent a showdown instead of checking your option.
Exactly this.
There's plenty of threads on showing or mucking. I'm referring to intentionally folding or forced fold as I call it.

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I almost always fold when I know I have a losing hand instead of checking to avoid showing my mucked cards. I'm pretty sure this is just standard yet I see so many checking and giving away their hand ranges. Whats up with that?

Your reasoning is very nitty, you will always lose a lot vallue, if you fold himself. You can not know exactly what you lose.. Also you can make notes about range villain, showdown always needed.

Last edited:
X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
But if you fold, you also don't see the opponents hand, right?

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Well, unless you want to mess with a particular player, I think folding is much better (With no showdown value of course).

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Give away as less information as possible about yourself - i don't think there are any situations where showing the hand is the good play. Maybe sometimes, to putting your opponent on tilt , showing a nasty bluff.

StuffBarnaul

StuffBarnaul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter while you play low limits, too small quantity of players who looking opponent stats. And even they are looking for it, every hand can differ.
About fold - once I won with 9 high )))

S

SnowedIn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
SnowedIn
WhereDidMyEVGo
Both good points....but some of the players I play with can pick you apart with the most minuscule of details. also possibly this was just a learned habit out of an abundance of caution. Still I see no reason to check when I can just fold.

Because you have a chance to win and this way he'll also have to show you his cards.

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fold. Because we act fast and do not let the villain can get us information about whether we are lying.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I defo think this is all part of bluffing. I fold when I am beat, but, I think it is up to you when you do it or not. However, I would suggest not giving away any information.

If you 3-barrel someone with nothing as part of a bluff, you would not show your hand afterwards, unless you were trying to wind your opponent up. If you did show a complete bluff then perhaps it could work out for you, perhaps not. So why take the chance? Let everyone think you are a good player who knows how to play? Just my suggestion, although others will disagree. Gl :D:D:D

J

johnsonrod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Again. This thread is not about showing or mucking. It's about folding so as not having to muck at all. The reason being is we all know we can see everybody's mucked cards instantly (not having to see a hand history). If you know for a fact you have the losing hand, why would anyone allow others to see their mucked hand by checking? It makes no sense other than many players possibly don't realize this.
The best response to this so far in my opinion is I'm being far too nitty.
But still I would rather avoid someone seeing my mucked cards than being able to see theirs. Does this not make sense?
Please do not say because I still may possibly win the hand as I already know I cannot possibly win.

B

Biscleta

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A large amount of Online players are not concerned about our cards so i think that folding is not the best option...sometimes if your opponent isn´t showing any strenght try to do a powerfull bluf (but avoid to put yourself in a bad position or your tourment at risk)

Martin Carreira

Martin Carreira

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are thinking hard to do are giving information to vilano . I think it is best to fold quickly and think about the next hand

Folding in Poker