Flush over Flush

T

tubaralhao

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay guys, i want to know the odds of hitting a flush over flush, with only 3 cards of the same suit on the board. It has happened to me quite allot and i feel sorry for myself :D , because it isn't something that common. The other day lost twice, once with a 5s6s and then with Kc9c.

Anyways, if anyone knows the odds i would like to know.

And one more thing, can you fold a flush, without the board being paired and having only 3 cards of the same suit at the table? I guess now I'll fold more tiny flushes, but it is still hard.

J

jed989

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would never fold a flush on a board with only 3 of the same suit and no pairs on the board.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against a single opponent, it's about 3%, provided he plays ATC. Against multiple opponents, you can approx. multiply that by the numer of opponents.

Of course, you're not a very good poker player if your best guess of villain's range is any two cards. Depending on action, board and reads on player you should be able to get a better estimate of this probability and decide whether folding is an option. There are probably a few cases where folding a non-nut flush makes sense (very deep / in a pot where a gazillion players limped along / against a weak passive fish who suddenly comes alive) but in most cases, folding is wrong.

GDRileyx

GDRileyx

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You will lose more money by fearing a higher flush than you will ever lose to higher flushes. If you flop a flush with low cards, you have to bet the pot, to give somebody with just one high card of that suit bad odds to draw for the fourth card. Then half the pot after the turn, for the same reason.

However, it does not pay to call preflop with two cards, just because they are suited. Don't call with two cards you would not call with if they were not suited is the general rule.

XSCREAMMANX

XSCREAMMANX

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'll always put my money in a pot when i have the flush and the boarded hasn't paired .

T

tubaralhao

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i don't play any two cards. Anyways, everytime i lost to flush over flush i was at max against 2 players, and i never see it too often. Let's say i've seen it happen maybe 20 times, and i guess 8 or 9 happened to me, and i was behind in every single one of them. Just makes me feel SICK!

TheKAAHK

TheKAAHK

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
First of all, ask yourself: Do I have Suited Disease? If you are in alot of flush over flush situations that may mean you are playing way too many suited cards. Otherwise, just remember shit happens at the poker table. Don't be afraid to play in certain situations just because you were burnt in the past.

U

upperdawg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i couldnt flod a flush.i try not 2 play little flush cards.it saves me money in the long run n u 2..:deal:

H

hothandsmgee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of this, one of these scenarios involved one of the worst beats Ive ever had. I actually lost with a straight flush to a higher straight flush. I had A 2 3 4 5 of hearts, while the other player had 2 3 4 5 6 of hearts.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will lose more money by fearing a higher flush than you will ever lose to higher flushes. If you flop a flush with low cards, you have to bet the pot, to give somebody with just one high card of that suit bad odds to draw for the fourth card. Then half the pot after the turn, for the same reason.
This I could probably agree with. Mostly.

However, it does not pay to call preflop with two cards, just because they are suited. Don't call with two cards you would not call with if they were not suited is the general rule.
This, not so much.

Sumun

Sumun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i wouldnt fold with that flush unless its a tourney and my oponent and me both have good stacks, so i would think it twice

also you should have an idea about the other players actions

H

highway26776

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Cant say i come across it to often mostly due to the hands i play . im usually am only in the hand with AK or AQ KQ suited anyway and would never draw to a flush with smaller hands . I guess what im saying is if you are willing to play the smaller hands you must be willing accept they are going to get beat by hands like mine :)

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against a single opponent, it's about 3%, provided he plays ATC. Against multiple opponents, you can approx. multiply that by the numer of opponents.

Of course, you're not a very good poker player if your best guess of villain's range is any two cards. Depending on action, board and reads on player you should be able to get a better estimate of this probability and decide whether folding is an option. There are probably a few cases where folding a non-nut flush makes sense (very deep / in a pot where a gazillion players limped along / against a weak passive fish who suddenly comes alive) but in most cases, folding is wrong.

^^Definitive answer, imo. Just shy of 3% by my calculations.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^Definitive answer, imo. Just shy of 3% by my calculations.

Well, i like to give definitive answers, but unfortunately, as i'm not a mod, i can't lock the threads so people keep on answering afterwards anyway... :rolleyes:

maybe i need to change my avatar to something that has more "gravitas" ? :D

:icon_albi

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe i need to change my avatar to something that has more "gravitas" ? :D

Wouldn`t work, m8. You could be Mike Tyson and some of these folks would still tell you to shove it all in. :D

No respect for their betters.

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL, this just happened to me more than once in one 25NL session a couple days ago on Stars. The first time I had a middle flush and knew it was risky, so I didn't push it hard and losses were minimal. Unfortunately the second time I had the 2nd nut flush holding a Q?d, with the Ad on the board. Only somebody holding K?d could beat me, and wouldn't you know that's what the other guy had. Lost a chunk on that one.

OTOH I also had my first quad-A's during that same session -- unfortunately I didn't get paid off. Hate it when that happens...

Janon

Janon

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
hears the thing with the flush over flush never reraise. say you had the king high flush but this guy betting like he has the ace high flush do you really want to risk a big stake by reraising him instead of just calling? ive seen it happen many times and i do reraise because i have the ace ^^.

Full Flush Poker