My February 200NL adventure (prop bet)

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. My name is combuboom, and I lack motivation. I need to turn shit around, and I need to do it fast.

I look at the forums and see the likes of bw, Chuck, zach, Belgo, Chris_TC all posting sick graphs of their poker earnings while I'm sitting on my ass eating a s'mores pop tart into the shape of a gun and arguing with twizzybop about WA/WB situations. Why can't I be cool like them? Well, for starters: I never f**king play. It's a psychological bug that's plagued me ever since I began playing poker. I've been content to play tiny sessions and book small wins fearing the inevitable downswing. That and I fear maybe I'm not good enough. I have confidence in my theory, analysis, strategy, sure, but making decisions in the heat of the moment is a whole different ball game.

Well it's time to play ball, motherf**kers.

How do you break a 2 1/2 year old habit in a matter of days? Well, the plan is to look like a complete ass if I don't. I've got $750 in combined prop bets riding on this (vs. Chuck, Jagsti, Irexes, Deltafrost, switch, and another friend). That and pride. If I revert to my lame ways, this thread will forever be my shame.

The bet: I must play at least 50,000 hands at $1/$2 full ring on Full Tilt Poker in February, playing no more than 9 tables at once. I must have a winning rate by the end of the month. If any of these criteria aren't met, I lose. I'll use HEM to update and ultimately verify my failure or success.

I see it as a solid challenge for a low-volume player such as myself. It's out of my comfort zone, and I have to beat the game for a profit. Just to give you an idea, here's some background info:

-200NL is the highest I've ever played -- at about 25k hands lifetime I have no legit proof I'm a long-term winner there, and most of those hands were a year ago.
-I've never played more than 10k hands of cash in a month.
-I've never played more than 2k hands of cash in a single day.
-I've never 9-tabled cash before -- I was going to practice before this started but, um, then I didn't. Let's wing it.
-I'm a 21 year old college student taking three classes.
-I'd like to think I have some sort of a social life to maintain.

Am I expecting to make it all the way? Not entirely. But if I give it a shot, put in a respectable number of hands for once in my life, and play well, I'll chalk it up as a moral victory. Win or lose, I can't imagine this being anything but a positive thing for me and my horribly damaged poker psyche in the long run. But I'd much rather win.

Updates to come.

A

anytwocantyou

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck. I cannot wait until I can move up and play those kind of stakes. I will track this.

JAMILE1

JAMILE1

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imua imua a lanakila= forward, forward to victory

Go get em champ

BTW thata lotta friggen hands:eek:

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heh, looking forward to the regular updates, combu.

gogogo

B

Bren

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds... Interestring :)
Good luck with the bet, make sure you don't tilt away though!
Looking for the updates.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
goo combuboom goo , I admire your ballsery bunnery tude :)

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck with this Combu...... not that you need luck you lazy dog. I could so this in a week :p

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You will do it and win $750 as a bonus!

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I root for you, Combu. Good luck with the challenge!!

Does anybody want side action?

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bet: I must play at least 50,000 hands at $1/$2 full ring on Full Tilt Poker in February, playing no more than 9 tables at once.

-I've never 9-tabled cash before -- I was going to practice before this started but, um, then I didn't. Let's wing it.

-I'd like to think I have some sort of a social life to maintain.
Good luck to you. Is it good or bad that you chose a 28 day month to do a month long challenge? ;) Anyway, in your hopes of making these hands and taking three classes and doing the necessary analysis to work on your game and achieve a winning status as well, I'd think it's fairly safe to say that a social life in February will be difficult.

Though hitting the hand count is achievable based on you criteria even if you don't 9-table. How many tables do you normally play? 6? Well, 6 tables @ 60 hands/hour for 28 days would mean about five hours per day on average if you play every day. Definitely achieveable for your challenge. Of course the winning rate thing is a different challenge for you. I'll be interested to see your results.

Best of luck to ya.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i will laff at your failure, don't go broke though, since ill need paying

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
49,999 hands.

Are we running a side contest on the total? :D

If combu's okay with the extra attention it might draw (and thereby the extra pressure) I'll throw in $10 on Stars to the person who guesses closest to his actual total, 50 post minimum at time of guessing.

Pending combu's okay.

blankoblanco

blankoblanco

plays poker on hard mode
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sounds great to me, NL! very cool of you to do

time to fire up some tables before the super bowl party (go cardinals!)

N

Nikeballa07

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gl combuboom i was just watching you play couple min ago saw you pick up trip jacks for $60 pot approx gj :icon_thum... ps how often you think you are going to do updates sessionly (lol if thats a word), daily, er weekly etc..?

Last edited:
B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I root for you, Combu. Good luck with the challenge!!

Does anybody want side action?

I might. What are you proposing?

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are we running a side contest on the total? :D

If combu's okay with the extra attention it might draw (and thereby the extra pressure) I'll throw in $10 on Stars to the person who guesses closest to his actual total, 50 post minimum at time of guessing.

Pending combu's okay.

Okay, for anyone interested, I'm taking guesses for what combu's actual hand total will be for this. We'll see if any non-regs are following this thread.

$10 on PokerStars to the closest answer.

Minimum 50 posts to guess.

Must guess in this thread, then come back to the thread and post to claim your prize. (I'm to lazy to PM, and this is all to generate activity anyways)

Deadline to guess; Feb 14 ('cause it's midmonth and Valentine's day)

:deal:

combu ineligible to participate, obv.

gogogo!

Hey, it's easier than trying to win the $100 freerolls on Tilt!

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anybody want side action who plays on party?

Chris_TC

Chris_TC

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I might. What are you proposing?
I'm willing to give action in favor of Combu's proposition but would need odds of 2.5:1. Would put down up to $300.

Or maybe you can come up with some other side bet. If so, please let me know.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tl;dr

jk: 54,090

gl sir!

Last edited:
B

bw07507

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm willing to give action in favor of Combu's proposition but would need odds of 2.5:1. Would put down up to $300.

Or maybe you can come up with some other side bet. If so, please let me know.

Meh, I kind of think hes gonna get it done so I don't want to bet against it, lol.