Emotions in Poker

D

darkgonz

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
PE
Chips
how much do emotions influence playing poker ?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's better to learn to play without emotion
sometimes emotions have a detrimental effect on the game
emotional state and tilt stand side by side

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
It influences a lot and requires skills to control them, it is not an easy thing considering that during the game you move from one state to another very quickly

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It influences a lot and requires skills to control them, it is not an easy thing considering that during the game you move from one state to another very quickly

Yes. Poker is a very "people-oriented" game and emotions play a lot into the human psyche.

Sure, poker is also about statistics and risk management, but first and foremost it is an emotional game. The best players can control their emotions - not necessarily "poker-faced" all the time, but at least not going on tilt.

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to be as serene as possible, and leave emotions aside. especially in tournaments where a bad decision can cost you hours of play without seeing any results

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All the things have different ways to think about... When we think in emotion the first thing that come on mind are about the bad emotions, that can make we play worse. Let me take another thought way, have you saw Daniel Negreanu playing? Some times he use his feeling to decide what to do, When more you play, more you will understand some moves and bets, depending of your ability you will take some decisions in pilot automatic, and in these case you will use your emotion, based on your ability on poker, and will play better. Per exemple, imagine you have enough reads of certain player, but in a crazy move your emotional tells you to call, cause he are bluffing, It's your conscious telling you through emotions that you have to take this action.

C

Csharp123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotional support in poker

Everything because if you on tilt you could end up going all in with a hand you wouldn't usually do just because you want your chips back and end up being called by better hand.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think dominating your emotions is one of the most important skills that you can learn to be successful in poker. I already read a lot of stories of good poker players, even pros, that ended up going broke because they could not control their emotions and started to play above their limites.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. I do not look at the chat, because many players often try to hinder their concentration.

G

Goughy88

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotions are one of the biggest areas of poker, like you wont find someone beating 200nl+ that hasnt put in a lot of hours into their mental game.

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotions greatly influence the game of poker. You need to play without being influenced by your losses. Otherwise, you will lose even more.

Shawnt

Shawnt

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Emotion beat down %100 mental

Bad mood?, angry? didn't eat your weaties? Wake up on the right side of the bed. You will do better then if you wake up on the wrong side of the bed have fun

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The emotions you feel before playing Poker do not influence that much, but if the emotions that Poker makes you feel while you play, that does affect you in the way you play.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hi.
I think that emotions in poker are unnecessary and dangerous. Successful players are always in control of their emotions. Your emotions can make you make hasty and wrong decisions.
Good luck.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
a lot since through emotions we get to make mistakes when losing an important hand, sometimes it is best not to get carried away by emotions because you will make more mistakes that can lead you to be eliminated from said tournament

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
today i played the twitch freeroll i busted just before the bubble
but i kept following game play from a specific player and every hand he shoved with he won
i mean he would have some good hands but the majority were complete trash like j2 310 i mean i can go on an on and he made it to the final table 3rd place like how bad players win good players loose, this does demotivate me at times

Emotions are one of the biggest areas of poker, like you wont find someone beating 200nl+ that hasnt put in a lot of hours into their mental game.

i have said this many times learning to control your emotions is key to wining at poker

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Freepokerfree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everything that draws our attention is going to influence the results of the game. Emotions can make us lose concentration or lead us to make bad decisions.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think that the more experience you have in the game, the less you are exposed to the negative influence of emotions !!! It is also very important not to play for the money that you are not ready to lose and to play the level of limits at which you will feel comfortable emotionally !!!

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Affect. But I struggle with it. With varying success.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Emotions are from the most important things in the game. You must be in a good condition, in order to have good results. You should not get carried away from the good times and of course from the bad times!:nurse:

Wrathchild

Wrathchild

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great deal. Imagine you're on a hot streak. Kerp hitting all your draws, winning all the coinflips, really feeling like you're playing your A game. Now you take a bad beat. How do you feel now? Took the wind right out of your sails. It's easy to become emotionally invested in the game because of the nature of the risk, reward, and uncertainty. Personally, one of my biggest leaks is chasing losses, or trying to "get back" at the person who sucked out on me (or if we're being honest, I just played poorly against). It's tricky keeping emotions out of it, but learning to distance them from the outcomes, WIN or LOSE means a solid game over time.

partz

partz

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only constructive ones and when all in hahaha I gotta say I get a bit if high hearts rates xD

O

olesyafarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi! I think emotions affect the game a lot. Bad mood, anger and irritation make you play more aggressively, risky, it can ruin everything. Excessive fear also spoils the game, because opportunities to play a successful hand are missed, the stack melts and the player becomes vulnerable . A sluggish, sad mood creates a passive game when everything is on the machine. When a player is in a good mood, they can think better. That's how I see it. You need to be able to manage your emotions during the game. But I don't always succeed.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Emotion influence the game a lot when you are first starting out. Most learn to control them if they want to succeed. As you improve your game, your emotional situations should diminish also.