Downswings vs Upswings?

D

dumbdonut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does having a long downswing mean you can have a long upswing? Could you have a downswing that lasts your whole life and vice versa, could you have a upswing that lasts your whole life?

M

MarkoPoissKK

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i had now very long and big downswing. i love poker but this swing is very badly.

BabyJesus64

BabyJesus64

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theoretically it would be possible to have a downswing or upswing that lasts your whole life, but normally those swings last from few days to few weeks/months. And it doesn't mean that you will have a long upswing after a long downswing. It's basically random periods.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every hand is an individual trial entirely independent of the next and previous. When you flip a coin 10 times you can have it land on heads 8/10 times. Increase the trials (lower the variance) and generally it will round out at exactly 50/50. Heaters and downswings are just deviations from normalcy, sometimes brief and sometimes for extended periods. Once you start clocking in insanely long sessions you'll start to notice it more.

Upswings generally cause poker players (especially mediocre ones) to have unrealistic expectations about their profit margins; at the same time creating this idea that they are actually good.

jozsef1990

jozsef1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Downswings

Hi it's me that would be my question a couple of times I noticed downswings and unfortunately sometimes they did not come on sheets that had big losses in this case what should I do? Unfortunately, the problem is in me that I will soon come to his senses by the time I get nervous I turn and tilt have no money

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I don't look at the down part of my game anymore. I know we go through it, but i do know that if I stick to my game and play tight, then variance will see me through even the worst swings.

If your suffering from constant down sliding, maybe try a new game type. I got stuck on a certain bye-in, only had to change my look on the structures and found tourneys that were value for money.