Downswing or Playing Bad?

S

Sooted7s

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can I tell if i am just in a downswing or just playing bad. I have lost the last 62 45man and 90man 25c SNG's. I havent played a ton around 100 games which isn't a ton but i'm just wondering how to tell.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have software which keeps archive and database of your hand history it is very useful to review key hands when you are free and with calm mind to see if you played correctly or not. I use holdem manager and usually mark such hands during playback for further review later.

A

abpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't believe in downswings, but either way, that seems like a pretty large amount of tournaments to not place in, so it would seem very likely some areas of your play need improving.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is easy to tell if you play bad or have bad luck. You have to be familiar with poker theory and know the odds.
Use poker calculator to see if you played according to pot odds or if you were having a bad luck.

D

daniel888

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're playing bad when you made many mistakes such as playing too aggressively, bluffing against call station opponents, calling when you don't enough odd to call, ... If you play well and rarely make mistakes, but you still lose in many games. That's the downswing.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Downswing is when you lose a lot of hands in a row being a big favorite, when opponents get their two outs, they collect a backdoor flush, your monsters lose to random cards and it all happens one after the other.

But remember that if you go all in on the preflop even being the favorite every time and get knocked out of the tournament, it is not only a downswing, but also a bad game. Try not to take too many risks. A big chance of winning doesn't mean winning in this particular case.:)

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Both things are linked one with the other, so i think the best you can do is to stop paying for a period of time, rest your mind and the play again.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Downswing is normal in poker, even the best players in the world have bad streaks and lose money.
You have to evaluate your game, and see if you are playing badly, and that is why you are losing, or you are only on a bad streak, and if you play well and make the best decisions, sooner or later you will come out of that downsing.

D

DenGybka

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I advise you to study in detail as many of your games as possible (it is advisable to record games in order to better see your mistakes and correct them in the future). And yes, “recession” is personal, I think it’s absolutely normal (for example, I win (get in the prizes) a maximum of 1 tournament per day, and then in all subsequent tournaments I have defeats and defeats. And then again victories .

F

fourroses

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont think about Iplay bad or well ,when I am tired or have not much time or I play too much on a day ,I call too much and make too many bluffs ,so I think I play bad ,when I call which the better hand and loose I have no luck

etouu79

etouu79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you should observe your movements, check your lost hands, if you think that you have applied what you are learning it may just be a bad streak, on the other hand, if you observe that you have made bad movements and lost as a result of not reading your opponent, don't use percentages of chances, if you just throw your hands to the center creo que no es mala racha sino mal jugado

E

El Libertador

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody but yourself to know if it is a streak or you are playing badly. Follow to the letter everything you are studying, apply it and that will determine that the losses are only streaks, now if you play a crazy game and without any logic you just throw all your cards to the center there we may say that you are doing wrong.

deyvsonflp

deyvsonflp

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First point: this sampling is not enough to know if it is a dowswing or mistakes made. But, I advise you to review some games to see where you are going wrong or post some hands here that people always help. Good luck.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
It sounds to me like you need to have a good look through your hand history to study your losing/winning hands and see what you did to win and what you could’ve done differently on the losing hands

We all make mistakes but if you don’t learn from them then it can become costly.
If you keep making the same mistakes then expect the same results :D

S

satriyo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Silly mistakes

We all have a bad streak, even the best at poker have it. But it is good not to make silly mistakes, which can make us lose a hand or even a tournament.:eek::eek::eek:

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Improve the quality of the game through enhanced training.where you fall, evaluate the quality of your actions.To be ahead of you will help a huge experience of the hands played-but do not forget to do their analysis.good thoughts come to a trained brain-remember this..!!!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It does sound like your on a downswing but is there more to it. You need to look over you play over that last amount of games played and be honest with your self. Be brutally honest to be honest. Many times when I am not doing well I see mistakes in my game. Also when this is happening make sure you not suddenly taking bad risk or playing tighter to just end to loosing streak. I have had multable 30 to 40 no cash streaks and 42 was my worst in my playing carrier. There have been time it was just bad luck and running bad. There were more where it was something I was doing wrong. Be honest with yourself.

S

sibird

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing bad means you are not following the standard rules of the game. Playing with non-competitive hands or over playing certain pairs or going for draw with lower hands are some of the common examples of bad play.
Downswing happens when you are playing right but still lost at the end. Downswing don't happen all the time and it don't last longer.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How can I tell if i am just in a downswing or just playing bad. I have lost the last 62 45man and 90man 25c SNG's. I havent played a ton around 100 games which isn't a ton but i'm just wondering how to tell.

This is the secret of poker and what makes it so difficult. It is challenging to understand amidst a series of poor results whether it is simply variance or if you are making mistakes. The community cannot properly answer that question for you, especially with only knowing your results. I can predict that you likely are making some mistakes given the extreme length of your non-cashing streak. Try searching out the most successful players at your given format and try to analyze what they are doing to be so successful. Pay attention and learn. :)

S

speeditall

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Are you good at statistics and math? If you are then you can start by running it manually and discover your winning frequency however if you can not recall how many tournaments did you play you can just use a website many are available online they will show you your winning vs losses down to the last hand.
however, there are 1 more factor you should probably take into consideration which is determination and persistence just because you are eager to learn more about poker makes you a good poker player.

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It does sound like your on a downswing but is there more to it. You need to look over you play over that last amount of games played and be honest with your self. Be brutally honest to be honest. Many times when I am not doing well I see mistakes in my game. Also when this is happening make sure you not suddenly taking bad risk or playing tighter to just end to loosing streak. I have had multable 30 to 40 no cash streaks and 42 was my worst in my playing carrier. There have been time it was just bad luck and running bad. There were more where it was something I was doing wrong. Be honest with yourself.

After reading this, I needed to know my max losing streak...

9 :)

Attachments

• max losing streak Mr. Tao.jpg
    max losing streak Mr. Tao.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 33
  • max losing streak jbillie.jpg
    max losing streak jbillie.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 33
D

DIANTA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can I tell if i am just in a downswing or just playing bad. I have lost the last 62 45man and 90man 25c SNG's. I havent played a ton around 100 games which isn't a ton but i'm just wondering how to tell.[/QUOTE

Seems it was turbo/hyper speed SnGs for micro. Average, say, 15% prize pool.

So an average chances of getting into prizes are, I think, near :
Pro player 30% + (62 SNG*30%=18+ times in prizes)
Amateur player 20%+ (62*20=12+ in prizes)
Weak player about 10% (62*10=6 in prizes)
Seating out player 0% (62=0)

Based on above it is possible situation of a downswing for a weak player (don't take it personally, please).
Hope it will help you a little to improve your skills and position.
Have a good luck, hope you will.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I like the theory of electrical engineering. An alternating voltage, as you know, is a sinusoid in a graphical representation. The sinusoid has peaks of ups and downs. Apparently, a series of defeats is just a sinusoid in the negative plane. Everything will be fine.

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The probability of not getting into the prizes 64 times in a row for an average player (15% itm) is:

0.85^64=0.003%

But this is a probibility for the next 64 tournaments.

For the last 64 tournaments, this formula is incorrect.

We need to look for the probability for N tournaments, where N is much greater than 64, that there will be a negative streak of 64 consecutive losses. This probability will be much greater and when N tends to infinity, it will be equal to 100% :D