Downswing getting the better of me

D

DannyDwerg

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi y'all,

So I've been playing microstakes MTTs on and off over the last couple of years and I like to think that I take it seriously. But for the last year (approx. 500 games) I've been on a downswing of ~230 average BIs (approx. $1.80) and I can't seem to get it turned around, it's really starting to gnaw at my confidence in my game.

It just doesn't seem to matter what I do or how well I play: I'm losing that important flip, getting called on bluffs by weak holdings etc. Of course it's not all bad luck and sometimes I just get it in bad, but in my mind I'm getting my a*s handed to me more than I should be.

Any tips on how to cope with such a downswing? And is this long of a downswing common? Am I overthinking how bad it is?

Would love to hear from you guys, cheers!

Attachments

• SharkScopeChart.jpg
    SharkScopeChart.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 11
BriceNice

BriceNice

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two things stuck out to me, first when you said your bluffs get called with weak holdings, and second, about getting it in bad. If your bluffs arent getting through, you might be over bluffing. Go back and analyze the hands or post them in cardschat to get get others opinions. About getting it in bad, thats an easy fix, tighten up a bit and, study the nash push fold charts. Good Luck

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you have pokertracker or holdem manager installed and collecting data on your play? PT4 has a leak tracker, and it can tell you where the potential leaks are in your game.

Consider revisiting some of the fundamentals of poker (playing the right odds) via cash games. I would have never said that before (I’ve only played MTTs and SNGs for the longest time) but I’m seeing the value in playing the cash game as a way of making sure your fundamentals are strong without having to deal with the pressures of increasing blinds. I’ve read in many places that good cash players are able to succeed in tournaments more that tournament players in cash games. It can sharpen your reads in different situations.