Down swing

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the definition of a down swing. Saturday I won four tourneys in a row in the morning. Took a break and came back to play cash since I double my bank roll. I have won maybe six hands since. Not playing crap either. Almost like a switch turned on or off . I mean cooler after cooler.

I sat at the table and everyone left but this one guy. I do great heads up. This is penny poker and I ended up losing fifty dollars before I said enough. I won four or five hands in heads up poker. Unreal I said nobody is that lucky. This dude was on a major heater or was a cheater he had over 100 dollars in .5/.10 before we started. I don't know, but only winning five hands out of about 160. Heads up my aces where cracked twice my kings three times. Even had set over set in heads up. Don't mention ace rag. Ever time we raced his lower rag hit. I mean insane.
It's continued ever since. I don't know if I can take this much beating. I guess this is a down swing.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Still thinking you were result oriented before? Come-on

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ur sample is too small, u might have just got unlucky but with a mindset like that you might've just been playing bad and he was a better player, u would surely lose to a heads up reg unless you study hu deep stack cash urself alot aswell, which i assume u dont, tourney binks happen to everyone and they are WAY softer then any heads up or 6max cash game, so maybe stick to tourneys if they were going well if you think u lost alot in hu to that guy, coz at higher stakes players are even better then that guy, and hes most likely not a cheater just a reg who waits people to sit him, i do that aswell and you can have way more then 10buyins if you sit hu cash all day :)

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for the definition of down swing i would say depends on your bankroll, lets say u have 100$ and your a winning player ( i consider downsings only for winning players coz u cant get upswing in the first place unless you get lucky to bink something ) and u play within ur bankroll, downswing would be losing 30-40% of that , and a big downswing i would consider anything over 50% of ur bankroll for games that u are rolled to play in in this cash, which would be 2NL (0.01 0.02$) buyins (50min buy ins)

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think ur sample is too small, u might have just got unlucky but with a mindset like that you might've just been playing bad and he was a better player, u would surely lose to a heads up reg unless you study hu deep stack cash urself alot aswell, which i assume u dont, tourney binks happen to everyone and they are WAY softer then any heads up or 6max cash game, so maybe stick to tourneys if they were going well if you think u lost alot in hu to that guy, coz at higher stakes players are even better then that guy, and hes most likely not a cheater just a reg who waits people to sit him, i do that aswell and you can have way more then 10buyins if you sit hu cash all day :)

I waited about thirty minutes to play. In that time I watched his 20 dollars turn into 100 with hands like calling all in pre flop with 10,4 suited against KK. Hit two pair to double up. Then went against big stack and called all in with sixes against AA. Only to hit a six. That put him at eighty bucks in a few hands of pure luck. Then my favorite was the call all in against a,k suited by his 8,9 suited. He hit the 8 on the river.
I have played at the lower stakes for a while. I'm disabled so my income is a factor. Besides I just play the lower stakes to feed the addiction. I've been card dead before but always managed to skin by. This is different, I am still hitting good hands. Stuff like a,k suited against AA. Hit the fourth ace and king. I know your so good you would of seen it.
I play every day at Inter tops if your looking for some easy money. Let's play poker.

E

EL1t1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didnt mean to offend you mate, your mindset and approach to poker is just wrong in my eyes, and im guessing thats an american friendly site since im really not familliar with it, i play on party and stars only and few other european sites, i mean sites that i play on are 100% safe and you wont find anyone that cheats or "rigged site" stuff.. so from my experience and based on what u wrote he just had lucky run and will be losing that anyways or the site or just not safe to play on. again sorry if it seemed like i offended u didnt mean anything bad, wish u all the best mate :)

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Still thinking you were result oriented before? Come-on
Even seeing patterns I'm not able to avoid some loses. But when your hitting cards pretty damn good and still losing. Had A,q suited hit the board two pair only to go against Q,Q. Stuff like that is hard on me and constant. At least if your card dead you don't get involved. It's like it giving me cards to lose. I know that sounds crazy. I don't know.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Down swings last longer than run good. More than half the deck is low cards. I race too much myself and lose more than 70% of my races. You would think I would learn by now but I always think my luck will change and I'll start winning my races. Lately though I'm starting to think maybe the winning poker players don't race as much. I don't know.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didnt mean to offend you mate, your mindset and approach to poker is just wrong in my eyes, and im guessing thats an american friendly site since im really not familliar with it, i play on party and stars only and few other european sites, i mean sites that i play on are 100% safe and you wont find anyone that cheats or "rigged site" stuff.. so from my experience and based on what u wrote he just had lucky run and will be losing that anyways or the site or just not safe to play on. again sorry if it seemed like i offended u didnt mean anything bad, wish u all the best mate :)
Where good. I don't have too many places I can play because of legality. I just checked on the guy and he is up like two hundred dollars. It's a six max but no one wants to play with him.
Just going through a slump I guess. Getting good starting hands but not hitting anything. You can only bluff so much. Seems like no one folds these days even with bottom pair with a straight and a flush showing. Really comes down to hitting some cards. I don't hit then when I do hit there under bigger monsters. It's crazy. Was following some patterns that was noticed but even that isn't guaranteed. But if you can follow a pattern that tells you something is off no. I wish I could play on party poker or poker stars. But this is where I'm at.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Down swings last longer than run good. More than half the deck is low cards. I race too much myself and lose more than 70% of my races. You would think I would learn by now but I always think my luck will change and I'll start winning my races. Lately though I'm starting to think maybe the winning poker players don't race as much. I don't know.
L.p.
I don't care for races either. Short stack in a tourney I will but as a norm I like to see the board that is where you win usually. If you don't connect in some way your screwed.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Even seeing patterns I'm not able to avoid some loses. But when your hitting cards pretty damn good and still losing. Had A,q suited hit the board two pair only to go against Q,Q. Stuff like that is hard on me and constant. At least if your card dead you don't get involved. It's like it giving me cards to lose. I know that sounds crazy. I don't know.
Trust your instincts. We have evolved to have them. If it feels like you're getting set up, it's because you are. You haven't found the patterns or else you would not be getting involved in these setup hands. They are given to you because you consistently play into them. The harder it is to get you involved in a set up, the more elaborate the set up becomes. I know it sounds crazy but that is how it works.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Trust your instincts. We have evolved to have them. If it feels like you're getting set up, it's because you are. You haven't found the patterns or else you would not be getting involved in these setup hands. They are given to you because you consistently play into them. The harder it is to get you involved in a set up, the more elaborate the set up becomes. I know it sounds crazy but that is how it works.

So your telling me there's more than one pattern. So it is a coincidence on how the cards come out over and over. 3,1,2,5 alternate. But it's also taking into account what hands I'll play? I'm never going to keep afloat. Guess it makes since tho. I don't hit anything for long periods of time and get a premium card to suck me in. That would get anybody. There is no variance if it's controlled.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There are many patterns. You are dealing with software that has been developed into its current state over the past decade. You can either pretend it is poker or start really paying attention to what is actually going on. I stopped believing in variance a year ago and I am mentally much better off for that reason. You must stop looking at the cards and start looking at what winning and losing players are doing.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
So your telling me there's more than one pattern. So it is a coincidence on how the cards come out over and over. 3,1,2,5 alternate. But it's also taking into account what hands I'll play? I'm never going to keep afloat. Guess it makes since tho. I don't hit anything for long periods of time and get a premium card to suck me in. That would get anybody. There is no variance if it's controlled.

There are many patterns. You are dealing with software that has been developed into its current state over the past decade. You can either pretend it is poker or start really paying attention to what is actually going on. I stopped believing in variance a year ago and I am mentally much better off for that reason. You must stop looking at the cards and start looking at what winning and losing players are doing.

You two ought to get a room, but please be careful, no offspring please, the world be not ready. :2in1:

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Or you can just laugh and make fun, pretend it is all normal variance, and give away both your time and your money to your favourite poker room. Endless entertainment.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Continue

Well it looks like it still going on. Today I didn't play all day.. Everyone hit the hay early so I thought what the Hell. I decided I would put 1.80 on the.2/.4 tables. I won third hand in play with a pair of aa. They folded after flop to a min raise but hay my losing streak was broken with aces. About ten hands later I got a,k suited. Won that with a min raise after flop. Few hands later I lost jj to qq. I had a,10 off 8 times and lost all of them. I played 215 hands and won a whopping three hands. Problem was those where the only face cards I was dealt. Didn't stop a few good bluffs either.
I got involved with every suited connector even with a gap limping in. Every one of those hands I hit bottom card bottom pair. None had flush or straight draws. Most ended up folding to giant raises. Final hand that took last of my change on SB to BB was pair of nines and he had 10s. Had four low pair that didn't hit in any way. Big hand of the day was 9,2 off. I hit that 14 times. 8,3 off was hit 13 times. Two most dealt hands . 2,3 off I hit8 times. The number 2 cards appeared a whopping 47 times total. Including a pair of twos. That's a little over 20 percent of the time I got a 2. Love these charts on Inter tops that shows your cards and how much they won.
Can this really be a down swing or am I being manipulated by the program. I'm no clairvoyant but I'm predicting way to much. Almost giving me the mind set that it working against me. Maybe puzzlefish is right. Just can't make anything else out. Never have I felt like stopping playing before. To go a whole day without paying was challenging. I don't know.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You two ought to get a room, but please be careful, no offspring please, the world be not ready. :2in1:

Love it!!! Too bad the forum only lets me like a post :(

It`s the patterns.... all about the patterns. (in the freerolls of course)

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its online poker. you never know what is actually going on on the other side. better luck next time. i really dont trust online gambling in general. so i dont like to put my own money. i thank cardschat for the freeroll that gives us the chance to win some money and i use that to play.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  • I get dealt more unplayable hands than I do playable hands.
  • Sometimes my good hands lose.
  • Sometimes I get a cold deck.
  • Oh no, I busted out of my last 20 MTTs without a significant cash.
  • Must be a pattern.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't really see a need to keep repeating the same advice if you can't follow it, so I am not going to be answering any more. It's quite possible that you can't learn and you are doomed to keep giving away your money doing the same thing and playing the same way over and over.

My last suggestion in this thread: stop playing, remove yourself from putting your money on the line, take a few months just to watch winning players and to take notes of how and when they play.. including what happens in previous hands. Only come back when you know how to play.

Last edited:
Lorpugo

Lorpugo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
puzzlefish if you think to get into heads up seriously I can reccomend you two books Author is Will Tipton. You will pretty much kill everyone at micro and low stakes heads up

Ropa

Ropa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've had alot of downswings lately. I quess this is just like poker software works. I got up to 450$ in like 1.5h playing 0.25$-1$ spin & go's. I wanted to get up to 500$ before i call it a day and then lost all these winnings in like 30 mins, because peoples at the table lucked in a river etc. And like 20-30 hands in a row were like J2, 10-3 (unsuited). I even lost a game with Airplanes where guy hitted trips in a river while he had like 5-3 unsuited. People may call it bad luck but it's still pretty bad downswing. Feels like poker gods seems to notice, that you are winning too much and they say : "It's enough" and send you bad RNG.

J

John bruce

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really see a need to keep repeating the same advice if you can't follow it, so I am not going to be answering any more. It's quite possible that you can't learn and you are doomed to keep giving away your money doing the same thing and playing the same way over and over.

My last suggestion in this thread: stop playing, remove yourself from putting your money on the line, take a few months just to watch winning players and to take notes of how and when they play.. including what happens in previous hands. Only come back when you know how to play.

Dude I'm aware, just haven't got it all figured out. I'm avoiding big loses just haven't found where to get the wins in yet. That's even if I'm getting any. I don't have a tracker just a statistics chart. I play on two doesn't sites. Two differing rng.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've had alot of downswings lately. I quess this is just like poker software works. I got up to 450$ in like 1.5h playing 0.25$-1$ spin & go's. I wanted to get up to 500$ before i call it a day and then lost all these winnings in like 30 mins, because peoples at the table lucked in a river etc. And like 20-30 hands in a row were like J2, 10-3 (unsuited). I even lost a game with Airplanes where guy hitted trips in a river while he had like 5-3 unsuited. People may call it bad luck but it's still pretty bad downswing. Feels like poker gods seems to notice, that you are winning too much and they say : "It's enough" and send you bad RNG.
Did you continue to play .25-$1 spins in that 30 min downswing?