Down streaks

D

dolphaus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, can you tell what to do if you have a down streak? :dong::dong::dong: How do you cope with your emotions and what helps you most in life during such periods? For example, I am soothed by video games. I Immediately start to get distracted.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a break or scale down. Play shorter sessions, less tables, lower stakes. Spend more time studying. Go through all those hands, where you lost a big pot and see, if you could have done something different. Read a poker book, join a course. The time to put in the long hours and/or take shots at higher limits is, when we are running well, because then we are more likely to be playing our A-game.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice advice fundiver!

For sure, if you're starting to feel at all tilted during a session from the runbad, then play out your tables and take a break. While you're playing, don't do anything fancy -- just play a solid ABC game where you're confident you won't make any significant mistakes.

Then take whatever length break you need, maybe a couple days or a week, before you're feeling good again and ready to return. Remember that your rungood is independent from session to session -- the poker gods don't remember you're supposed to be running bad when you get back to the tables :)

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Start practicing physical sport (eg swimming, running) and eat healthy. In a healthy body, healthy mind. :)

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If this happens, then I quit playing poker for a while and do something else fun to quickly forget about what happened. Sometimes it helps.