Does your family interfere with your desire to play poker?

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You may need to find a compromise that will suit both of you.

J

JAAMEZz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my wife and family provide the perfect counterbalance to my degen poker habits. they keep me from playing all day, as they should. family time is the most important time, not only for my stabiltiy as a family man but it provides me the goal of DOINKING some tourney and taking them on a vaca!

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]I just accidentally gave it allin 'cause my wife bothering me, so poker is good if it doesn't fill you up.[/COLOR]​

jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my wife pisses me off because I play poker all day and I get very upset when she gets in my game.

Poker is not life. Poker can be a part of your life, however it should harmoniously balance with the other facets of a wholesome life. You can attempt to shut out other areas of your life to maximize poker playing time, but you are compromising long lasting joy in the process.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Last two years I have got some money in live poker (I am not a pro... yet), so my wife ever says: "Dont be late for the chip time!" [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]. In another hand I decrease my daily and weekly frequence playing poker. I think I didnt birth to grinding.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Me and my wife have three grandchildren living with us and yes its hard to play games. I have leave or sit out at times when i am needed but family comes first and poker second. Please don't take poker to serous you ill regret it later. Just my opinion.

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You must find a balance between poker and other activities. If you are already an established poker professional making serious money from it, then your wife will need to understand this. If not, then you will need to come to an agreement about what is an acceptable amount of time to play poker. Sit down with your wife and discuss this. There is more to life than poker. As passionate as I am about the game, I understand that it's just a game.

MemphisGrind

MemphisGrind

Think Bink
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my wife pisses me off because I play poker all day and I get very upset when she gets in my game.

I have not had to deal with that in quite a while. I enjoy staying single. However I would think if my relationship status changed I would have to strike up a healthy balance. For now though, I can focus on me and what I enjoy to do.

M

mainecun

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
my parents hated poker when I first learned how to play when I was in high school.
but you just have to sometimes listen to them. Even if there are kind of pissing you off.
there family and they come before poker.

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Find a balance between poker and your daily life. I guess finding compromises is a good thing also for other aspects in life.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My family has to come first. It can be upsetting when you make a lot of money and get to play very little of it, but bills have to be paid.

D

digdug0037

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got to find a happy medium. You enjoy playing poker and should be able to spend some time doing what you enjoy. Just don't let it consume you. Maybe block off a time period for family first and have a block for poker. The main thing you don't want is to have family issues over poker, nothing is ever that important.

You make check the threads on here, I am betting there are other stories and you may be able to pick up some insight as how others come to compromise and how it benefitted their marriage.

Scottscorsa

Scottscorsa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My (young) family is the reason I have been off the cards for a few years now. My way of managing was to go cold turkey.
Now that my life is somewhat more settled and the kids are all out of nappies etc, parenting is easier in some areas (harder in others). This should allow more me time for poker.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My fam does not get in the way of things they know nothing about. :eek:

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The family does not interfere with my desire to play poker. The family only limits greatly in time)))

Nathan Williams

Nathan Williams

Poker Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stayed single (on purpose) throughout most of my pro career. It just makes things a lot easier.

Also, when I first started playing poker my family told me I was a "gambling addict" and to "stop before I lose everything."

These words motivated me to prove them wrong more than they will ever know. I owe a lot of my success in this game to how pissed off these words made me :)

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I stayed single (on purpose) throughout most of my pro career. It just makes things a lot easier.

Also, when I first started playing poker my family told me I was a "gambling addict" and to "stop before I lose everything."

These words motivated me to prove them wrong more than they will ever know. I owe a lot of my success in this game to how pissed off these words made me :)

A real woman will unterstand your passion. And you can make compromises if they are needed.
My family think the same, and it's disrespectful for me. I have never criticized them as hard as they have done with me. They try to support me all the way (I mean emotionally, because this is all about my funds), but didn't really get my words.
I know, that when the proving-time will come, I can be finally 100% satiesfield. But sometimes it hurts that in my private zone no one trust in poker so may no one trust in me. :angel:

K

kalelisback

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Story of our lives :) ...lol

But I do like the way you play victim here. To rephrase your first sentence: "Im pissed off at my wife because I play poker all day"....... you gotta word the situation better my friend, we all want to be on your side :)

MrFladder

MrFladder

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it is important to have time with your family, because in my opinion is family more important than the game.

good agreements help to divide the time between the family and the game. :)

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
For me, my family is always more important. So when I play poker, it means I am busy and nobody distracts me. I believe that this is solely a matter of mutual respect and understanding between family members.

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker and wife are like oil and water :vollkomme:vollkomme

Lucky me - I do not have a wife so I can play without interruptions.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi man,I´ve never had any problem with my family because of poker.Of course my family is first and then my hobby.Poker gives me joy and extra money is always welcome..

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker & Life

Guess I am lucky to not have any pressure at all from family about playing poker. Poker for me is only a part of my life as going to work would be for others.

Not a big winner at the game but do hold my own and win some, so no big impact on family income.

Good luck all at the tables !