Does this ever happen to you during bad runs?

J

JEN005

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So this has happened to me quite a few times recently. It's like I'm attracting the bad runs by having this pessimistic feeling during play.

I'm playing 6max Turbos and soon enough it comes the time for the push/fold.
55 vs Two Overs "I'm feeling like an underdog but let's hope... and here it comes"
"Whatever it was just a flip"

Next, dude shoves the button Q5 18bb I reluctantly call with ATo on BB 21bb
"I'm calling because I have the best hand, not because I'm going to win... ah there's his Queen. Beautiful. No problem, I'll win the next one"

Next hand I shove my last 3bb SB vs BB with 89o get called by AK.
"Please makes this end..." Poker God: flops me a straight

Next game, KK vs 77 all in pre ~15bb eff
Flop: 3 hearts, I dominate him with a bigger heart draw
"Nice, please don't bring a..." 7. The turn is 7c

Next game dude on full tilt shoving every hand, I have 88, call for 27bb
88 vs 89
"Alright this is looking like I have a chance..." *breathing* card card card card BOOM 9 on the river.

On BB 10bb deep with 66, average stack ~7bb, SB shoves 14bb, 2 away from bubble (45-mans)
"Probably should... I don't know, too close. Let's call. Time to end the bad run" 66 vs AK, Flop: K . .
This last one happened as I was writing this.

All these happened during 5 games in total, 4x Turbos.
And It's not just perception. There's a huge gap between the all in EV vs actual won chips.

It's like I'm loosing 80% of the flips and 60% of the hands I'm a big favorite.
I'm not even tilted, just disappointed. I get in with the attitude: "Throw me bad beat, I can take it! Throw me another one! One more! Ok... that's enough for now. Please stop!"

I'm a huge unbeliever on superstitions, or that sites could manipulate RNGs, but this thing is bugging me, and I wondering if there are other people who have experienced something similar.

Last edited:
jordanbillie

jordanbillie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So this has happened to me quite a few times recently. It's like I'm attracting the bad runs by having this pessimistic feeling during play.

55 vs Two Overs "I'm feeling like an underdog but let's hope... and here it comes"

"I'm calling because I have the best hand, not because I'm going to win... ah there's his Queen. Beautiful. No problem, I'll win the next one"

88 vs 89
"Alright this is looking like I have a chance..." *breathing* card card card card BOOM 9 on the river.

On BB 10bb deep with 66, average stack ~7bb, SB shoves 14bb, 2 away from bubble (45-mans)
"Probably should... I don't know, too close. Let's call. Time to end the bad run" 66 vs AK, Flop: K . .

And It's not just perception. There's a huge gap between the all in EV vs actual won chips.

I'm not even tilted, just disappointed. I get in with the attitude: "Throw me bad beat, I can take it! Throw me another one! One more! Ok... that's enough for now. Please stop!"

I'm a huge unbeliever on superstitions, or that sites could manipulate RNGs, but this thing is bugging me, and I wondering if there are other people who have experienced something similar.

I most certainly have!!!

You are handling it quite well, I must say. I believe I had less control over my emotions than you. :)

I remember having weeks of that which made me quit for decent bit, mostly because I felt like I was waisting my time.

Good luck! :D

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In such cases i always say: “happens...”
Because the probability of this is not zero ))

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Consider a Different 'Type' of Game

6max Turbos
Let's call. Time to end the bad run" 66 vs AK, Flop: K . .
Ok... that's enough for now. Please stop!"

I do not experience the pessimism you describe - however I have experienced the run bad you describe,,, unfortunately several times.

You might consider a different 'type' of game for a bit. Instead of playing in these tight, intense turbo events where the eventual all or nothing situation happens quickly/often, Something that you can get into that might lessen the tension you are feeling. Possibly a couple deep stack events with longer blind levels.
By nature deeper stack events are less tense, initially, directly related to the structure, slower blinds, more chips to play with, less straight away - ALL or NOTHING situations.

Let's call. Time to end the bad run" 66 vs AK
I'm a slow learner but this one I have learned numerous times, over and over again, Often - folding in marginal spots tends to lead towards the end of the run bad. :)

F

Fatman0912

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am currently in a similar run. This happens, especially in Turbos because you will be more quickly confronted with all or nothing situations. The only thing you can do is hanging on. It is a matter of time the odds will turn around. Good luck and keep using your head, not your emotions.

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At times the flips just don't go your way. See that a lot over and over then other times it seems to favorable. Seems to say with in the odds in the long run though. Have to ride it out.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

88 vs 89

It is very strange sometimes, I think you can make things worse just by thinking your going to get bad beat. Positive thoughts can make good things happen and negative thoughts can make bad things happen.

T

Tystick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes have run into same case..but we see alot of hands we just try to be vigilant and try to make the read and make the FOLD :( or call:D

Drumsound

Drumsound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This only happens to me when I play poker. ;)

S

Szachajevy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This happens to me sometimes, maybe its just paranoia but I notice that some days are just not "poker days", like Im in some kind of black list that day :D

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just have to wait for the opposite results and the feelings that follow.

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Relocations were and will be in poker. You don’t need to go into a pot with bad hands to get started. Risk is necessary when it is needed. It is also necessary to take into account bank interest and your chances. Play freerolls now, you won’t worry so much about losing a stack.