Do your friends and acquaintances know that you play poker and what is their opinion?

christmasscorpion

christmasscorpion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my family and friends know that I play poker and play for real money, and they have never been against this idea and have never discouraged or said anything bad about poker and have always supported me, not to mention the wins and losses, but how is it with you.

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have my whole family that are against me from poker but all my friends support me hugely. Most of my friends even want to learn how I play poker.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my family and friends know that I play poker and play for real money, and they have never been against this idea and have never discouraged or said anything bad about poker and have always supported me, not to mention the wins and losses, but how is it with you.
My partner she does not like the fact that I play poker to be honest but I do not drink or smoke or have any other vices.
She spends more money buying cigarettes alone then alcohol more money again than I set as annual bankroll stop loss which I remind her by saying give up smokes put it in bank accounts for our children instead but she refuses to quit argument ends there.
Birthdays,bills due and special occasions like Xmas and Santa too always come first before poker spending to me.
I could understand though family having issue with a player who is ignoring their financial and family role responsibilities becoming a burden to others all year in the family due to poker losses though.
Glad to hear your family is supportive christmasscorpion.:)

Last edited:
C

Clean

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mine don’t know

T

TongueLashin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never met anybody that supported me in poker. Most people instantly dismiss, disregard, or show contempt for cardplayers. If my dad were alive...I know he would have supported me in anything. He would have taken the time to understand the labor and practice time that went into preparing for this. He would have meticulously evaluated my stats and gave input. In fact, it was my father that taught me how to find percentages on a post it pad when I was 9. One day somebody will love me like he did or I will have a lot of cats who will... Either way. I am playing poker!

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They are familiar only with how gambling is portrayed in news / television / movies and believe any gambling is bad.

You don't hear the stories of responsible poker players who learn to put the odds in their favor and consistently win enough to enhance their lives.

Instead they hear the horror stories of gambling addicts losing everything, people stealing money to fund problem gambling, or occasionally someone getting lucky and then losing it all back (of course).

I get it, for every success story there is probably a hundred people who would be better off not gambling.

Good luck! :D

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
None of my relatives play poker so they can't understand why i play. They accept the fact though and are ok with that because they see that i play for limited time without risking my living money and manage to keep the balance between poker, job and other responsibilities and hobbies that i have.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my family never liked to see me play poker. their judgment on this game is dictated by religious and social factors because in my country. we don't like to see these children playing gambling games. but in the end he lets me do what I want. for my friends and later. they believe it is just a game of chance that is like any other. they think you can't make big wins on this game.

AizenFalck

AizenFalck

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone in my family knows. In fact, my dad was the one who taught me the game of texas holdem several years ago, he didn't know anything about poker and one day he taught me the basic rules, he is still waiting for me to turn professional and one day win a great tournament, I hope I can do it haha. Regards.

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My friends know it from time when we were school mates until now and during that time every time when I mentioned something that I have earned or did in poker, they get so upset and frustrated and told me every single time to start doing something serious in my life and to do not waste my time with such stupid things. My response every single time is - '' I will always play poker, because it delivers me pleasure. When somebody is doing something and that delivers him pleasure, he must not stop doing that. Every person in the world has a hooby or a thing that loves to do/play and the others must accept that.

rdwr33

rdwr33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hi. Your question is very interesting because at the beginning my wife did not like me playing poker with a group of friends or online. because she thought I spent a lot of money on the game. when it was one day i started showing her how it worked, after that i had no more problems.

007Leon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no

no, almos anybody know that i play poker, you know, is a taboo, and some people think is waste of time and money

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I have many friends who play poker and who know that I also play. My family also knows about my hobby and fully supports me. I believe that playing poker is a great hobby that helps to develop the logic of intuition and patience.

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At the moment, all my friends and relatives know that I play poker and take it easy. But when I first started my career as a poker player, everyone was against it. They were afraid that I would lose a lot of money.

P

panaloto

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

They frown on me when I tell them my sports is poker until I show them the muscles on mouse-clicking hand. Makes them believe it's a real sport.

D

danydidi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everyone around me knows , and i dont care what they say

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
No they do not have problem with the game, and also they are curious of the game!

B

Boodah420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, they know, and do not worry about it

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My whole family plays poker (except my wife). My parents would go to Las Vegas for a month every year to play poker...my mother was an excellent player; not my dad...so my sisters and all their kids play poker. I have several friends who play online and live when we meet in Vegas.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I have been playing poker for over 3 years and almost all my friends know that I play poker. Moreover, I have several friends who have been playing poker for more years than I do. And I have no friends who have a negative attitude towards my hobby.
Good luck.

KasyakoFF

KasyakoFF

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my parents know that I play poker! they don't mind too much, but sometimes they say that it would be better to spend time outdoors! I don't advertise to my friends! someone laughs at my hobby, someone compares it with slot machines, but someone doesn't care))

C

CliffieDeuce

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone that knows me, knows that I love gambling (Maybe a little too much).

The problem now is I do not gamble as much but everyone relates poker to slots, to them it is the same thing. I also need to explain Freeolls to them constantly. Then never believe me that you can play poker for real money for free.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
During my early times of poker used to say to my closer friends about this game, you know, was so amazed with such a game that I've just learned and enjoying it a lot...I even tried to explained them saying it's not a game of chance. But many of them have not and still don't agree with me. I did it many times in a way that I am already sick an tired and don't care any more what they say about it or about their opinion. I also don't go around saying I play, when I play...(not any more). Poker is not for everyone. We, poker players, are special somehow :)

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone that I know, knows that both my husband and myself play poker. There has never been any reaction either negative or positive from anyone.

P

ProfessorGrind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends and family know, it's not taboo. If anything they are just curious.