Do You think You Can do What Chris fergusson did?

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I Just want to know, do u really and that goes to from the novice to the aveage to the above average player do u believe that u can do what he did, make nothing into something, so big?

I mean yes we all believe we can do it, and we all have dreams but the trueth is, I don't think it's something that can be done "just because we want it", it takes dedication, hard work, and something that only ppl, who in all aspects, are champs, for instance look at Jordan, Ruth, Gretzky,Doyle, Phil Hellmuth, and Ferguson himself... These ppl had that extra little something that sets them apart from the rest of us, now the question I purpose to all is what do u think they all had in common? Look at Basket-Ball, Base-Ball, and Hockey, that takes alot of stamina, practise, and lot of skill just to sum it up, but for poker which can also be catorgorized in the same feild to a certain degree, and by certain I mean, yes it takes alot of excellent reads, and yes it does take alot of practise, but then again isn't it just a game of cards? Don't get me wrong I'm not a good poker player, heck I'd say I'm actually below average (not by much though:) ), and in time will get better, but what or how does one go about being as great as those ppl???

Just wondering on other ppls in take on this topic

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I honestly believe I can do it - though I wouldn't be keen to put a timeframe on it.

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the draw to the poker world for a lot of people is the possibilities. And unfortunately for many of them I think its kind of a perverted view of the poker world that is shown on TV. For every Furgason or Brunson there are thousands of people that don't make it and suffer hardships because of the sacrifices they have made. Playing poker at the top level is not an easy thing to accomplish. There is so much luck involved and if a person can't deal with the ups and downs it can consume them.

I personally do not want to be a famous tourny player. I want to be a very profitable cash game player. One that slides under the radar and goes unnoticed. The fame would be awesome, but I feel the pressure and hype would be too much for me to handle. It would take a lot of the enjoyment out of the game. And if I didn't enjoy it, the money would not be worth it to me.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am pretty sure I could do it, I'm not sure how long it would take. How high did he get anyway? 10,000?

C

custo80

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly believe I can do it - though I wouldn't be keen to put a timeframe on it.

As do I. I started around 8 months ago with $1 and am currently at $138. It is very hard and takes unbelievable amounts of discipline. I found his graph very interesting Chris Ferguson turns $0 into $10,000 on Full Tilt Poker

Look how long it took him to get momenteum. I'm doing it to test my ability to have a goal and stay focused on it. If you do try it good luck but make sure you have patience.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I Have done about 1/4 of what Ferguson did. I started on April 3rd with 0$ and right now im around 2.5k. check my blog for more info in my sig.

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure that I could... Problem is that in my mind, it makes alot more sense to deposit even 50 bucks and start to build it from there. You notice that Fergusson took forever to get out of the few dollar category, then it went smoothly (as it can in micro) from there on.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am sure that I could... Problem is that in my mind, it makes alot more sense to deposit even 50 bucks and start to build it from there. You notice that Fergusson took forever to get out of the few dollar category, then it went smoothly (as it can in micro) from there on.

He dont play as often as some of us do

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i could, but i wouldn't enjoy it

Paw_kit Aces

Paw_kit Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm giving it a serious shot.

L

Liveone1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm trying with all I've got right now. Even though I'm no where near as good as I thought I was, and I sometimes rush things, I still manage to get my BR to break even within a day or 2. All it takes is patients IMO.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow, alot of ppl with alot of confidence on here, well I hope the best for u all, I myself don't think i can do it, for the simple fact that i can't devote that much time and effort into poker, nor do I have the patience

odinscott

odinscott

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He dont play as often as some of us do

wow, alot of ppl with alot of confidence on here, well I hope the best for u all, I myself don't think i can do it, for the simple fact that i can't devote that much time and effort into poker, nor do I have the patience

I think that you cant devote the time and effort only because it takes so long to really build any kind of bankroll. I think that anyone could do it, it is a matter of discipline. Again, I would much much rather put even 50 dollars on the account and start grinding from there. Because I have 14 cents on my FTP account and it sucks to try and build anything out of it!! (You can really only play that 10cent rebuy...)

K

Kennyseven

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Did it, done it, dont ever want to do it again!

F

feitr

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did 10$-->1000$ in one month. However, i then lost ~150$ and withdrew basically everything i had. Tried to start again from a very small BR (15$) and just could not do it properly because i was so used to playing 20$+ SnGs that i couldn't handle playing micro stakes with the low return. So i ended up busting (had made it up to about 100$) after a little tilt session. If i go back to that site, i will deposit a large amount and just play until i have worked off the bonuses (very nice first 200% first deposit bonus comes around occasionally) then shut it down. I'm quite confident i no longer have the patience to start from low there again (tho i can start from 50$ BRs on other sites and play micro stakes...simply because i don't have any association with mid level stakes there).

The question is, however, why would you want to? There are plenty of affiliate sites that offer free BRs at alot of sites (but ofc for sites that have rakeback, it is the better choice coz you'll make alot more in the long run). If you aren't from US go look up ipoker sites. Rakeback isn't allowed at ipoker i don't think and most of the sites have some sort of 50-150$ free BR offered.

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't think of why I would ever want to do this though, I'd rather just deposit a small amount to start out with instead of starting with absolutely nothing. It took him so long just to get started and I'd probably go crazy playing free rolls.

X

xCashin_inx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats the problem with the micro stakes, why would you ever want to play in freerolls with thousands of idiots?

I guarentee you if you walked around and looked for change on the ground you could find $3-4 in a day and it would make it 1000x times easier then trying to win some money in a freeroll.

I personally know I couldnt do it, I would feel that my hours and hours of play to win a few pennies would not be worth it for me. Its a great thing to be able to say youve accomplished but its really very pointless unless your someone like Chris with lots of time on your hands to play poker or your just playing for 100% fun and not looking to win any money.

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only reason I personally would want to do this is for the simple fact of the A) Braggin rights, B)

SeanyJ

SeanyJ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only reason I personally would want to do this is for the simple fact of the A) Braggin rights, B)

I don't think there is any difference between going from $50-10,000 than 0-10,000. In terms of bragging anyway :p

naruto_miu

naruto_miu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that's true not a big diffence both are bragable, lol, if that's even a word bragable, sound like a word to me...

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bob_tiger > Chris Ferguson

KidFlopadelic

KidFlopadelic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
excellent thread...

my 2 cents....FACT-Ferguson is a multi-millionaire and a proven successful pro, I assume he took on this challenge for his own amusement or maybe a distraction/challenge to give him a break from the pro circuit grind. Whatever his motivation was, I think it's pretty cool that he chose to do it and make it a shared public thing.

I believe that he is seperated from the pack because he posesses a combination of things; high intelligence, experience, poker skills, psychology skills, super high discipline, etc..., these are traits that are not easily attainable, he is an exceptional man.

To say; "If Ferguson can do it, then I can do it", eh, not so sure about that. But going for it is great, GL to ya...