Do You Think Short Deck Will Pass Hold'em in Popularity?

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally I don't know much about the game but I see that it has continued to grow in popularity the last couple of years and I'm starting to wonder if one day it may surpass omaha and hold em to become the main poker game or is it just another game like horse that eventually dies out

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it will because of the rule variations (from standard hold'em):

- A flush beats a full house
- Three of a kind beat a straight

It can be hard to mentally make the adjustment when playing. I found it easier to adjust to Omaha, despite the extra cards.

Short deck is quite fun though :)

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will go out on a limb and say nothing will ever surpass no limit holdem in popularity.

H

Hanosch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah well no. I don t see how this is more than just the wish of experiencing something new from time to time. In the end ppl will chose the bread and butter game.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No, but it is an interesting question.

I think Short Deck will hold it's own and continue to expand but not eclipse NLHE

Many pros love it due to the gamble (in the same way many like PLO as it is currently played - a high rate of gamble), I have played an even shorter deck version of poker for a couple of years called Royal - which only feature Broadway cards so can only be played 6 max.

For me it is a mix of good and bad because there is fundamental strategy but (and it is a big but) its a pain when some make it nothing but a gamble fest playing any two cards. Its hard to find a short deck game where people are taking it seriously and attempting to play skillfully - if they did and with some regularity I would play more frequently

BlackJesus

BlackJesus

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think this will ever happen, because tournaments are still (and will always be) in full deck. If you look at any pokersite's player base, most of it consists of tournament players, not cash players. For this reason alone I do not think short deck will overgrow full deck.

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello from my experience, poker in argentina started in 2003 and from there I saw significant growth, I think it has a great future. I have even seen in recent years there are many people who started or are playing

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will go out on a limb and say nothing will ever surpass no limit holdem in popularity.

People thought the same thing of 7-Card Stud a few decades ago, and look what happened ;)

Having said that, I really wish I could play more 7-Stud. Love that game.

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Texas hold'em is the most balanced type of poker, better analyzed. I don't think that any game will replace hold'em.:)

deeznutzz

deeznutzz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, but it is an interesting question.

I think Short Deck will hold it's own and continue to expand but not eclipse NLHE

Many pros love it due to the gamble (in the same way many like PLO as it is currently played - a high rate of gamble), I have played an even shorter deck version of poker for a couple of years called Royal - which only feature Broadway cards so can only be played 6 max.

For me it is a mix of good and bad because there is fundamental strategy but (and it is a big but) its a pain when some make it nothing but a gamble fest playing any two cards. Its hard to find a short deck game where people are taking it seriously and attempting to play skillfully - if they did and with some regularity I would play more frequently
I agree with everything you said. Interestingly enough the points you make as to why short deck won't surpass NL are the same points that make me believe it is possible. First off I don't think anyone likes playing nine or ten handed especially live. Knowing that every tornament and cash game will be 6 max would appeal to most players. Not that I believe players would switch games just because of that but I do think it's a plus. The main reason I think it's possible for short deck to eventually replace NLHE is because ultimately it's the casual players who drive the game. Imagine every tornament you played or every cash table you sat down at was filled with nothing but the best players in the world. What brings players in and what keeps poor players coming back is the variance in the game. The idea that you can be a novice and still win is why poker is so popular. With that being said NLHE is getting closer and closer to being solved and the good players are becoming nearly impossible to beat. As the game gets more difficult many players will look for easier games.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this game is made more for fun! After all, it has more situations to play more hands, but this does not mean that it will become more popular than No Limit Hold'em!

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
shortdeck was common type once but holdem has passed it in popularity and I think that this wont change

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I agree with everything you said. Interestingly enough the points you make as to why short deck won't surpass NL are the same points that make me believe it is possible. First off I don't think anyone likes playing nine or ten handed especially live. Knowing that every tornament and cash game will be 6 max would appeal to most players. Not that I believe players would switch games just because of that but I do think it's a plus. The main reason I think it's possible for short deck to eventually replace NLHE is because ultimately it's the casual players who drive the game. Imagine every tornament you played or every cash table you sat down at was filled with nothing but the best players in the world. What brings players in and what keeps poor players coming back is the variance in the game. The idea that you can be a novice and still win is why poker is so popular. With that being said NLHE is getting closer and closer to being solved and the good players are becoming nearly impossible to beat. As the game gets more difficult many players will look for easier games.

That's an interesting perspective and I in turn agree with points you have made. A 6 max format could be employed (and enjoyed) with more frequency in tournaments.

However, the best point you make is concerning rec players and the need to have them participate. It might not appeal to me to sit and play with someone playing any two cards but if that holds an appeal to the rec player they should be encouraged.

F

freeisfun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Holden will always be king no matter what imo. It's a game everyone knows how to play.

etouu79

etouu79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the short deck will never surpass the traditional one, it can grow as you say well over the years, but I doubt that it will surpass the game of a lifetime

Batarang96

Batarang96

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If PLO won't, then I think SD most certainly won't.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For sure, it's just a matter of time

CowboyStomp

CowboyStomp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I get aggravated with people playing bingo on NLHE. It's ten times worse on short deck.

That being said the people who love to gamble will push short deck to become more popular but I don't see it overtaking NLHE anytime soon.

W

watso

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only heard about when Ivey was in sochi

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker doesn't need its own version of Pinochle.

I know the high stakes players seem to love Short Deck Poker, but I don't like it at all, just my opinion obv. Poker needs MORE strategy, and Short Deck eliminates some of it since there are less possibilities of card combinations in that game.

I would just keep the game as a high stakes game for the gamblers if it were my decision. I hope it never becomes a hugely popular format in the mainstream.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I hope not. Strategy still have its own place in poker...

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am not keen on Short Deck and don't see it overtaking NLHE for serious players.
However, any game that attracts new players and bingo players is ripe for the picking.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont think it will surpass it. I havent played yet and I am not interested