do you think poker is a sport?

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there have been people saying that it is as isn't, what do you think?
It's on sports channels but there is no physical part to it

JCuervo

JCuervo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By definition it probably could be considered a "sport" due the "competetion" aspect of the game, but not if you consider the "physical" part of the definition. But I going to go with it being a "sport" because that all the activity I seem to be getting these days...lol.

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
(According to my definition of a sport)

Absolutely not.

A sport requires participation by athletes, Poker players are not athletes.
A sport requires physical talent. Sitting in a circle for long periods of time does not qualify as physical talent.

Poker is gambling.

I hate when people try to call everything under the sun a sport. Activities do not have to be sports to make them cool. Golf is not a sport but its very cool. Darts is not a sport. Billiards is not a sport. Poker is not a sport. They are all fun activities that require skill, but do not require athleticism. Thats why they are not sports.

This is the example I always use. If the world was having an international athletic competition, and they did not tell anyone what games the people would be competing in, would you send a poker player or a football player to represent your country? A golfer of a basketball player? Sports are played by athletes. Poker players and golfers are in no way athletes.

It doesn't take anything away from poker to not be called a sport. Lets just leave at a card game. There is nothing athletic about playing cards.

G

gabstaeltoper

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think for thoses(poker pros) they play all live tournaments, ept, wpt etc.. it's a bit a sport, always in a plane, sometimes 4-5 days per tournament it's really hard i think.But for internet players, it's just a game, a game you can win money : D

Is chess considerated like a sport ?

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Absolutely not.

A sport requires physical talent. Sitting in a circle for long periods of time does not qualify as physical talent.

Poker is gambling.

I hate when people try to call everything under the sun a sport. Activities do not have to be sports to make them cool. Golf is not a sport but its very cool. Darts is not a sport. Billiards is not a sport. Poker is not a sport. They are all fun activities that require skill, but do not require athleticism. Thats why they are not sports.

This is the example I always use. If the world was having an international athletic competition, and they did not tell anyone what games the people would be competing in, would you send a poker player or a football player to represent your country? A golfer of a basketball player? Sports are played by athletes. Poker players and golfers are in no way athletes.

It doesn't take anything away from poker to not be called a sport. Lets just leave at a card game. There is nothing athletic about playing cards.

These are very great arguments, I agree with your example especially

M

massimo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO It is not a sport. The one argument for sport is that it is somewhat physically difficult to sit for long periods of time while playing a tournament. ie wsop main event. But digging ditches is also physically demanding and that is not a sport.

S

smokkee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is the only "sport" you can play while sitting in your underwear, drinking beer.

:p

P

pokernewbie

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No, I dont think it is a sport. I think poker is a past time or a hobby. I would think for something to be a sport it would invlove something to get your body moving.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no...
golf is a sport because you have to walk and physically move the ball foward... video golf is not a sport..
but .... is auto racing a sport? you control the car like a person controls a joystick ?

Pillshark

Pillshark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No I don't think poker is a sport.
I think it is a gambling game.
When I used to play sport,(rugby,football)I was always knackered at the end of the game.That's why I stopped playing it.:p
I don't get knackered from playing poker.
I get tired,and back ache,from sitting on my arse for so many hours.:)

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets give a little and call it a mental soprt. It can indeed be exhausting and drive your heart rate and Blood Pressure up. Or is that just a result of the way I play. LOL

S

simonb

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think it is a sport, there are competitors all playing a game on a table some better than others all with the urge to win. If they can call chess or backgammon a sport then wwhy not poker.

white_lytning

white_lytning

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they can call chess or backgammon a sport then wwhy not poker.

I have never heard chess or backgammon be called a sport. I would ridicule any person that does so. They may be competitive but there is absolutely nothing athletic about them.

TiltMonkey999

TiltMonkey999

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

Absolutely not.

A sport requires participation by whomever that enjoys it..Therefore, Poker players are athletes..And what you say about talent..If you say that poker does not require TALENT then wow..Your philosophy on sports is a little wrong in my opinion, but thats good to see that other people have suggestions..I feel that poker is a sport that involves using your head, not necessarily your body..Great Post
Take Care
Ray

P

pokerking123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Physically its not, but i think it is mentally...focus, concentration, skill

C

CromMitra

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no physical activity means it is just a game....that simple.

L

lukester22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely not. It does have competition and it is a game, but it is not a sport. It does not require any physical activity, even though some people say it is a sport because you have to sit through long tournaments or something. But there is no way it can be a sport. A competitive game yes. Sport, no.

F

fckmerunnin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is definatly not a sport how could it even be in the same category as sport lets see football players run as do baseball players and basketball and poker is nothing more then poker a great way to lose money with no physical activity.....good luck all poker players....and if you think its a sport you might want to call a shrink and have your head checked out..

E

eaglezoners

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The physical component of golf is striking the ball with the club; bowling its rolling the bowling ball down the alley. For a sport to be a sport there has to be some physical component to the event which helps to dictate the outcome. Whether NASCAR is a sport has been debated as the driver must use physical dexterity to maneuver the vehicle -- the car does not run on its own. But in poker there is no such outcome determinative physical component -- its all a mental exercise. Of course, the better rested you are and more relaxed you are things which may allow you to be a better decisionmaker when playing poker but the same holds true for chess and backgammon. :p :eek: :rolleyes:

F

finikee

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker

Not. Its a game. On the other hand, which I have had great debates about, Nascar is in my opion. Anyone that can drive a car 200mph for long periods of time in sometimes unbearable conditions, has to be in good physical health. Not only in mind, but in body. But that is my opinion. Gl all at the tables.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
but .... is auto racing a sport? you control the car like a person controls a joystick ?

Buy yourself a better car, imo. Driving a sports car requires a hell of a lot of physical strength. Formula one drivers sweat nearly a gallon over the close to 2 hours of racing, mostly to resist the lateral acceleration in the fast curves.

N

numero_unos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No its not a sport , you are sitting in a chair pushing on a button , you don't get tired of that .
I think its just a game .

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Absolutely not.

I disagree completely although I wouldn necesarily call it a sport either.

Sports do not require athletes contrary to what one might think (if you use the definition of physically talented). Think pitchers in baseball and punters and kickers in football. Granted there are exeptions but there are a lot of pitchers in the pros who will tell the press and media that they are not athletic. I went to high school with a guy who was drafted as a pitcher straight out of high school and he was definately not an athelete but he was very good at what he did. Same with card sharks.

COME ON PEOPLE THERE ARE PHYSICAL PARTS TO POKER. What about the poker face??? Chip tricks??? ROLMAO. :cool:

(Just incase you dont get it the physical part is just humor, Im not being serious)

Last edited:
Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Buy yourself a better car, imo. Driving a sports car requires a hell of a lot of physical strength. Formula one drivers sweat nearly a gallon over the close to 2 hours of racing, mostly to resist the lateral acceleration in the fast curves.

(Sorry for the double post, please just count this as one, I dont know how to double quote)

Amen. If you actually keep up with the sport, look at the drivers at the end of the season as compared to the beginning of the season. The drivers experience a ton of physical strain and most lose a lot of weight. Im not a racing fan but I work at Atlanta Motor Speedway part time.

narizblanco

narizblanco

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport implies some sort of physical ability. Poker is a card game like canasta or bridge. Darts is more a sport so is croquet.