Do you profile poker ability/traits by a player's nationality?

Z

zkmena

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if people form opinions about a player's general ability or playing style based on nationality. For example; 'Do Russian players bluff/steal more often than other players?'; 'Are Brazilian players more likely to 3 bet than other players?; Are Canadian players generally the most feared on the table?:p (just joking).

It does seem to me that players from the Eastern European countries tend to go all in more often than other players, but maybe it's just my imagination. To me, players from Sweden, Finland, and Norway tend to play more conservatively than the Russians. Just a couple of examples of my opinion and unscientific observation, but I wonder what others think.

Cheers . . .

P

Pulsar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, an interesting relationship:) style games from the national!!! I still had a little chance to play with the players, but the hardest thing I play with immigrants from the former Soviet Union (probably because I'm Russian and know what to expect from them), then probably with the Brazilians - they play so stupid,but with such a fart that I want to break the laptop against the wall,other features of the game I have not yet seen!

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is an interesting post. Some Europeans are definitely much more aggro from what I've seen but I still think it's comes down to the player.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good question. I know people say that a lot. I think some people claim to have data to back up differences. I guess that makes sense. Different cultures often do similar activities differently. I'm just think about how different countries play different styles a lot of the time at the World Cup or the Olympics, so it seems pretty intuitive that poker players would be similar.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting to see if there is any data on this. Personally, I don;t think it is enough of a factor, or affects my view of players enough to sway my decisions when playing against them. I find it hard to believe that ALL Russians are aggressive or anything like that. It could be possible that there is more or less aggression from a certain pool of players that live in Russia, or canada for example. But not enough that it is going to make me decide differently at the tables.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes. There are countries I automatically label incompetent. I won't post which ones though. :)

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Russian and Brazilian players are more aggressive than others. They often bluff and go to all in. Perhaps nationality influences the game.:)

Datdude1

Datdude1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never profiled a player based on their nationality. I've always tried to profile a player based on their tendencies on the table.

101ABN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Against soviet and south american players, I play more conservatively/trappy because they are so aggro. I never open the flop if I'm in position, because I know they will do it for me. Then I flat or 3b depending on the situation.

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think people of any nationality play the same way,everyone chooses a style of play,so I would not be able to judge by nationality.

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think that the style of the player depends on the nationality, I think here everything depends on the character and temperament

D

domfudao

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it does not have this differentiation, every player in the country decides to choose a style of play.We usually see the Russians doing better in tournaments just for the sake of volume.There are many Russians playing pokerstars for example.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion, nationality does not affect the style of the game. But I think that such an influence has a temperament.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thinking like this can change your style of play in a wrong way so I never asked myself this question.

I do not take any risks.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to avoid making such general conclusions. Even if there is some general trend you can always play against someone who is exception and you general conclusion will work against you. I try to analyze players by their game against me and not by their country, avatar, nickname or such characteristics.

M

mavradal

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The bigger a group of players from a country is, the higher the chance of meeting aggressive or unskilled players is. So of course you'd think players from brazil/Russia are like that, you'd probably think the same of US players if they weren't restricted from playing on PokerStars and probably other poker rooms.

Natta777

Natta777

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Для меня бразильцы всегда кажутся очень агрессивными. Но они наверное очень темпераментные? Когда я вижу бразильца за столом, фраза «Горячий бразильский мачо!» Иногда даже заводит меня, и я не хочу показаться пассивным, играя с ними, чтобы они подавили меня своим темпераментом. Чаще всего я выбираю атаку.
:D

Pokerguy6666

Pokerguy6666

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Russians are ultra aggressive.

fernandovr

fernandovr

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, every nationality has the excellent players and some who make plays that can not be imagined.

YungWan

YungWan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am very much a beginner and I don't have the right or the experience to profile any players based on their nationality but I have noticed a similarity between the playstyles of Brazilian and Russian players! Could it be that they all learned from the same poker book?

I also respect German players, I think they can be very analytical! :icon_stud:icon_stud:icon_stud

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Nope never thought to do this. Might have to look into the matter though.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think so. I don't even bother to look to see where they are playing from. I think you can only judge people by their own play. To put everyone in the same basket would be a mistake and it could cost you.

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Russians are ultra aggressive.

Maybe But to their undoing !

My 888Poker Stats Video each Week shows that I Knock Out of the Tournaments more Russians then second most Canadians lol

I can only assume this is because its gone head to head when they've played over aggressively, I've had the nuts and they've already committed them selves...

Or.... which is a more obvious reason, there are just so many more Russians Than Canadians Playing on 888Poker...

No I would not Categorize a Player on which country he/she is playing from... That's a bit racist really lol seriously the question is the same as asking "Do you think Blonds Play better than Green Eyed Players" or Asking "do you think players from colder regions have slower responses because their fingers are colder?" when its likely most players will be sat in a room of about 18 degrees centigrade most of the year round lol

There is some evidence to say that a persons language directly determines how they think

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather, I take note of the nationality of some players, but this is secondary for me. Basically, I watch and analyze their game in certain situations.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've played against many players from many countries, but in all of them I see different styles no matter where they're from. The aggression factor is an overall "disease" for the massive theories and strategy tutorials induce the players to do it so. It can be right but, with this huge number of aggressive players around, this theory colapses sometimes. There was a time that play tight was the fashion. It comes in waves.
So, in my opinion, the game play style is not much to do with nationality. It used to be, not anymore, with so many poker players now in the planet .