Do you keep the total chip count or change to # of Big Blinds

S

sn0112

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Number of chips vs BB

Do you prefer playing with the number of chips on view or BB view?

When I started playing poker (not very long ago) I used a site with a default view of chips (not BB):

Chips

I'm now accustomed to this and use this default view on all sites. I occassionally toggle to BB view to check where I stand in relation to the other stacks, but I use chip view for all streets of betting etc.

I also find that I lose concentration and get annoyed if on BB view.

Am I missing something important by avoiding BB view and am I creating a bad habit that will impact my long term potential for success?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Do you prefer playing with the number of chips on view or BB view?
I prefer the default chips view, I rarely use the BB view
Am I missing something important by avoiding BB view and am I creating a bad habit that will impact my long term potential for success?
in my opinion no, I also don't consider this a bad habit. this is just a option, some use others not.

Last edited:
Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The number of BB doesn't work at all for me, I only use the number of chips. I started out using number of chips and that's what I've gotten used to.

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me much easier to play with chips, also I can easy switch to BB view with left mouse click om my stack.

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"I also find that I lose concentration and get annoyed if on BB view"

me too)

In BB it's difficult to estimate real stack, and more - to raise accodring you game strategy.
After flop you should raise due to the pot, not to BB, so you should bet 1\3 or 1\2 of the pot.

I prefer chips)

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I always use chips count instead of BB but i'm doing the math in my head all time by converting it to BB and the M to see where i stand and how i'll play the hand preflop.
And if I enter the pot and see the flop i consider the SPR too. these informations are crucial in mtts to take the right decision.
I think you have to choose the chip count view and convert it in your head into bb cause it will help you in live tournaments. if you ask an opponent how much he got left he will not answer i've got 20bigs left for example.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only play in chips, but I find this BB display tool very interesting, because it makes it much easier for you to see your stack, so there is no way to make a silly mistake like a hand that you had to push all in straight for your stack but as you were in chips you opened up, not to mention that it helps me a lot when betting so I can see the SPR better, and it’s also easier to calculate the pot odds, so I find it interesting to use the stack in BBs in certain situations.

theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use chips count instead of BB because it is easier to me to track status and progression, but that is just habit

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually use the number of chips. I think that it´s the best option! Only sometimes I use BB :)

F

FluDhs

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer chips because is more "real" comparing to live poker and it's easier to keep tracking the progression of the tournament.

B

blazer1027

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I was wondering what is the best option when playing online. Is it to keep it where you can see the total number of chips you and your opponents have or is it better to change to # of big blinds?

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it's important to know how many BBs you and your opponents have I generally switch between the two settings with mainly having it on number of chips

A fox 666

A fox 666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm used to seeing the number of chips, it's more convenient for me!

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that there is no special reason to know how many chips you have in a tournament, but it is important to know exactly how many BBs )))

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I keep the total chip count, because I’m used to see my chips in this way. When I play on black chip poker sometimes automatically changes to the BB version and I always think it’s so weird.

sequoia

sequoia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some poker rooms (pokerstars) have an option to switch between chips and BB by left clicking on the stack. This is very useful when you need to quickly calculate the number of BB.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I got used to playing with the total number of my chips. I think it is anyway not very hard to do the math and know how many blinds you have.

M

Maggio_A

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to switch between then, sometimes I like it better with chip count and sometimes with BB :) honestly cant decide which is better :)

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is much more convenient for me to see how many chips I and my opponents have. I started playing poker with live cash and live tournaments, and am used to seeing how many chips I and my opponents have. Therefore, it is also convenient for me to play online poker. I have never played in such a way that my chips would appear in the blinds.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It is best to do something that has a direct impact on your results. I recommend just improving your skills.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer to think in terms of M-ratio rather than the number of big blinds.

Pindiez

Pindiez

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I use the total chips count but I know that is important how many big blinds do you have and not the number of chips. I usually keep the total chips and somethings the BB. It´s depends of the stage of the tournament that I´m playing :)

Sorry for my english :D

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One thing I really hate in tournaments are players who constantly ask for chip counts of their opponents while in a had.

Yes, if you're on the cusp of an important decision and you're unsure of how many BB's the villain has behind, ask for a quick count (doesn't need to be exact, just a really good estimate). But doing it constantly is just obnoxious in my opinion.

I keep an eye on the blind structure relative to my stack in tournaments and use that knowledge to help me make decisions.