Do You Consider Poker a Sport?

Eriktommy163

Eriktommy163

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think poker is sport, but I have always wondered why in many countries live poker forbidden? After all, any game - is inherently hazardous. If for each figure in the chess set such as $ 1, then it is not much different from poker:hmmmm::hmmmm::hmmmm:

K

kelvin22

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you ever imagined poker in the Olympics? let me know your opinion .... poker is a sport or a simple game of chance?

On one hand, anything that requires pure skill and/or intense training of one's body/mind, should be considered a sport.

On the other hand, true sports are unaffected by the "odds/luck" component. You can train yourself to run faster, and in different chess strategies, but when it comes to poker, you can't train yourself to see into the future. Poker by the oldest definition means "gambling your ass". No matter how good you get at it, and no matter how much science and skill is involved, i doubt it will ever be declared a sport, never mention... make it to the olympics. However, money talks and BS walks, and considering the amounts of $$$ that could be involved, it may very well be the king of all sports one day.

G

Guaraparty

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In any sports you have to train prepare and study and poker does not escape from those premises

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker in my opinion not sport, and intellectual game. in general, I think that the sport this is when engaged in the body. and for the soul and mind is necessary to use a different concept.

R1temp

R1temp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a sport in poker. When I sit at the table I really want to win. Victory is probably the main attribute of sport. But because of the element of luck, poker will never become a 100% sport.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, poker is a skill game. At long distances, the one who has more experience and skills will win. Excitement is also there, but there is excitement in almost all competitions. This is normal.

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a huge number of online poker players so it's closer to e-sport considering other card games like Hearthstone are in fact have e-sport tournaments.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it could be classified as a sport, especially these days when most players actually workout to handle the game better.

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it is a sport of the mind, as is chess, because it puts the brain at work.

I think it is a sport of mind, as is chess, because it puts the brain at work.

Last edited by a moderator:
david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I think of sports I vision a lot of movement like running, jumping, even walking:0) I think of poker like a board game type of game more mine then athleticism:0)

Sergei 748777

Sergei 748777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a sport in poker. When I sit at the table I really want to win. Victory is probably the main attribute of sport. But because of the element of luck, poker will never become a 100% sport.
I fully agree that poker will not become a 100% sport...but still it's a game and it's worth it to play it

Of course, poker is a skill game. At long distances, the one who has more experience and skills will win. Excitement is also there, but there is excitement in almost all competitions. This is normal.
Yes, without excitement and play less interesting;)...but still, poker is worth it to enjoy some light adrenaline[emoji3]

Last edited by a moderator:
B

brightknight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It a rather difficult question. Pernosally, I consider poker is a sport, cause there are countries who admitted poker as a sport activity and created poker sport federations, like for example Ukraine. Besides, it demands from people to be good at maths and psycological reads. Whatsoever, there'll always be an element of luck in poker. So, poker can be considered as a gambling, cause no one knows what cards will be laid down:jd4:

Sergei 748777

Sergei 748777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It a rather difficult question. Pernosally, I consider poker is a sport, cause there are countries who admitted poker as a sport activity and created poker sport federations, like for example Ukraine. Besides, it demands from people to be good at maths and psycological reads. Whatsoever, there'll always be an element of luck in poker. So, poker can be considered as a gambling, cause no one knows what cards will be laid down:jd4:
Agreed... really sorry for Ukraine (and the poker Federation is good, still in Russia would be allowed officially poker.would be the theme...

belerophon

belerophon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that it is not a sport. Others have mentioned why in this thread already but I consider sport to involve some mastery of physicality.

Speed, hand/eye, motion control, etc. are all elements that exist in true sport. Poker may well be served through sporting rules and behavior but it's not a sport of any type. Heck, a video game is probably closer to a sport than poker as it at least requires a high proficiency of hand eye coordination.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion poker is not a sport. It is more like gambling. Nevertheless, I really love this game and this is my favorite hobby. In my opinion, it is unlikely that poker will be recognized as an Olympic sport.

B

brightknight

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is that it is not a sport. Others have mentioned why in this thread already but I consider sport to involve some mastery of physicality.

Speed, hand/eye, motion control, etc. are all elements that exist in true sport. Poker may well be served through sporting rules and behavior but it's not a sport of any type. Heck, a video game is probably closer to a sport than poker as it at least requires a high proficiency of hand eye coordination.
Yeah, that's why CS:GO and DOTA 2 was admitted as a sport. Cybersport, all this stuff eh?:) I am not keen on these games though:D

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a game of cards.

There is no way you can compare poker to sport.

They have been talking a long time about Dart playing can be seen as a sport.

I dont think Dart or Poker ever will be a sport.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I already wrote about it and said that poker is not a sport but a game of chance that depends a lot more on luck than skill.

Pharaoh39

Pharaoh39

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know there are more categories of sports than just Physical right? Mind sports has been around for ages and Esports has been a thing for over a decade now.

Yeah I know, considering that I said in my post that a sport is physical as WELL as mentally enduring.

My opinion is not going to waiver, but it's ok to disagree.

Sergei 748777

Sergei 748777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.
In my opinion poker is not a sport. It is more like gambling. Nevertheless, I really love this game and this is my favorite hobby. In my opinion, it is unlikely that poker will be recognized as an Olympic sport.
Agreed...poker is not when you do not recognize the Olympic games....but now, in the world he takes the lowest place...do you think you are ready to perform at least between the regional level and the poker tournament?)[emoji4]

D

Dontnonothin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is something in between. You need all the skills of Chess, but there is still the component of luck. So I think there is no real answer to that question.

Sergei 748777

Sergei 748777

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is something in between. You need all the skills of Chess, but there is still the component of luck. So I think there is no real answer to that question.
what kind of question?I think poker isn't just about math ...is it more likely to try to understand the psycho state of a person?you don't think so....

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is definitely not a sport, in my opinion professional video games is closer to a sport because it revolves around reaction time and hand movement although I still wouldn't consider video games to be a sport.

cranberry

cranberry

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that poker is unlikely to become an Olympic sport. Poker is more gambling than sports.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would not consider it a sport.

To me a sport includes athletic competition of some degree.

It does require stamina and mental toughness but athleticism is not present.