Do you Apologize in Poker?

redboy23

redboy23

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often see some players do it and never got it until recently. They say "sorry man' or "I was lucky - you played well, I'm sorry."

I am beginning to know more and more what it feels like to be on the receiving end of a bad beat. I would definitely like to hear an apology sometimes!

Imagine; you put someone on a hand and you bet in an effort to get them to fold a draw and hand over the chips that are "rightfully yours". After all, you have waited so long to get the cards and make some chips - and BOOM.

Why do some persons hold out for that miracle card?!

I felt bad for this player after winning the hand. He really tried to get me to fold, probably dreading a flush or straight draw.

Click to see the hand: Lucky River

Would you feel like apologizing here?

Do you think that players should apologize to each other?

Is it hypocritical or vicious to do so?

What are your thoughts?

Share some hands that you lost and wished you could get an apology or those you felt bad that you actually won.

Note - I am not talking about coin flips on shoves pre-flop. I am looking at hands that are played out to the dreaded river.:icon_pale

Look forward to hearing from you .

Z

Zypher2212

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's usually a sorry, not sorry situation. You're sorry to put a bad beat on them, but you have more chips. I think anytime I have apologized it's out of the sense of knowing what it feels like, and usually in a bad beat scenario (in my defense though I try not to be in a situation that I can put a bad beat on someone, I try to get it in good ;) )

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I first started playing for real money back in '07 I would apologize from time to time. As I would feel bad to be the donk to suck out on the 'pro'

Then I started thinking about it a little more... it's the donks that the pros want at their table. Because those are the most profitable, and when a donk sucks out, it reinforces his bad habits, which is exactly what a pro wants. So I thought, I'm gicing him what he wants, why apologize?

As I became more proficient I started to realize that I'm going to get sucked out on. It's going to happen. There's nothing that can be done. Conversely, I will continue to suck out on other people. It's a part of the game. So why apologize for part of the game.

Yes I can agree a little consolation is nice from time to time, but I've made nice money after sucking out on someone and then them going on tilt because of it. Tilting hard against me. They were going to 'get their money back!' So I'd tighten up, play ABC, maybe even slow play a little, and boom, they give me everything they have.

So, long answer short. I used to apologize. I don't anymore.

Flatran

Flatran

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
]I only apologize when I beat the same person more than once for bad beat, or when I run a runner runner to something very disgusting.

Cam54

Cam54

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see any reason to apologize and I don't .. the same beats happen to you .. and sometimes the odds they catch aren't as bad as what might be imagined, and if they played the hand there may be more reasons than that ie. position, sacks size, stage of play in a tournament etc. ... mehh it is what it is .. and I don't believe someone else's apology is sincere in the first place and if it's not I don't want theirs any more than I feel I should give mine ....

T

Tystick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Happens

I'm with the third comment it's part of the game it happens!! Just hope we us it to our advantage :D

podoloboq

podoloboq

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Always do it when I win the opponent because I know, how unpleasant it is to get defeated...:secruity:

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nope, except for rude manners at the table. Not sorry about any pot I win, however it is won. If I belch, fart or some other bodily function, then I'm sorry.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Personally, I do not need any apologies from my opponents. I find such apologies inappropriate.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I used to say sorry.

Now I don't!

Our job is to take people's chips, if we suck out, so be it. We want to win chips by any means possible, why would we say sorry for this, vill isn't sorry for taking your chips, so don't be sorry for taking theirs!!

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I do apologize if I suck out to win. I do feel bad.

A

akadano29

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
]I only apologize when I beat the same person more than once for bad beat, or when I run a runner runner to something very disgusting.

That's good sportsman ship

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think any apology to poker is usually hypocrisy. I never apologize or wait for an apology. On the contrary, any apologies just annoy me.

Helvec

Helvec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And the truth is that it is a good topic, I do not usually apologize when I play online, because I usually play 4 tables continuously. Playing live would be different because you have the person face to face. We all know that in poker it is a round trip, you win a hand that seems impossible and you feel sorry for the other, otherwise you lose one hand that is impossible to lose and the other may feel sorry for you. In poker this is so. It would be great to be able to apologize, but this is poker. You lose and win continuously.

Great contribution, luck at the tables

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apologies don't bring back lost chips. What's the point of them ? You won 't apologize in heads -up for winning, will you? This is a game. And first of all, we are responsible for our own decisions .

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see a reason to apologize. This is variance. Sometimes it is with you and sometimes is against you.

V

vittopio

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never (except for proposals for sharing out) do not write in chate-- why give opponents the information! ??

beldin2010

beldin2010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No need to apologize after all we all play to win every single hand that is our ultimate goal :). Right. Apologies make me feel angry because is lets say hypocritical.

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!
I usually say nothing nor I expect something said to me, luck is a factor in this game, and bad beats are part of it, it is better, in my experience, to stay in a more neutral state of mind when playing and just take these things in stride, no hard feelings on both ends. :) Good luck on the tables!

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No apologize

Guys I believe that you cant apologize in gambling! You take a decision for some reason, you may feel strong, you may want gamble or anything, but you made an action in order to win or save money. So dont apologize for anything and dont wait an apologise from your enemy!!

zlajazlaja2

zlajazlaja2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no excuse, we don't play poker in matches ... sorry will not say to the neighbor, or friend, brother... there are no friends at the table, because if you look constantly to save someone, you will definitely be bad in the end ... ;););)

A

Arthur ZM

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never apologized for my game or for the bad beat that happened I don’t see the point. After all, this happens often at the poker table, and if this happened to me, I do not expect the rival foreman to apologize. After all, poker is just a game and if you lose, you must be able to accept defeat and failure and not wait for an apology.

BadB420

BadB420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I never apologize for the way I play. Ill occasionally say unlucky if it was some kind of cooler.