Do we Learn From Our Mistakes?

K

kidrock1211

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of us have heard the saying "we learn from our mistakes". But is that true for you in poker? Have you learned some of your weaknesses and fixed them or do you find your self in a rut making the same bad mistakes! I am my own worst enemy, I need to stop fighting myself.:fight:
If you have learned from your mistakes, give me some tips on what you were doing wrong and how you fixed it, please!

M

marfuki

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I learn form my mistakes as long as they happen to me min 2-3 times. if sth happens 1 time it does not make me learn anything new :D

L

ledris

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its difficult to learn from your mistakes

I think everyone will improve small mistakes. For example who raise a suites connector from utg, they will learn hat is better to fold it from this position when they realise that in long run this move has bad equity. But there are some bigger mistakes that are difficult to disappear. My main problem is tilt and I think is the most important mistake in poker, you cant upgrade levels if you tilt, you have to improve this mistake in order to success!

Andrew Popov

Andrew Popov

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think no one can play plus until they learn to correct their mistakes, even the most obvious, gross ones. Nobody is perfect, but we all need to work on our game and try to improve it, because if other players do it, we will lose the race.

S

stormyf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we do not learn from our mistakes, we will never move forward. At one time I thought I was studying alone, no one needed help. And I couldn't go any further, after one level I couldn't develop further. Now I'm with my poker companions. Let's watch twitch games of the best players, educational videos. I see a positive change in results....

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, first of all, they need to be analyzed, to determine at what stage you could minimize it. And with regards to the sayings, there is one more: "Live your life, learn your life"

fenoz

fenoz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I learned that when I get AA will go ALLin preflop, a lot of not good cases..

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I should hope so.. If not, please come and sit down at my table!

AllenKll

AllenKll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First, lets complicate the matter.. how do you define a mistake? Is a mistake a losing play? or is a mistake something that GTO doesn't predict? Or is a mistake a misread of an opponent? I can't say for sure..
But I can say that learning from your mistakes can be difficult on average and in poker it's especially so, because you sometimes get paid by those mistakes. Does it even stick out that you made one? I guess what makes learning from mistakes so difficult is figuring out when you've made on.

In general I find that tracking my hands and whenever I feel I've made bad play, to go over that hand a few times and see how I could have played it differently, works well in helping me become a better player.

Also I've recently started tracking tournament finishes and percentiles. That graph really opened my eyes to how much I was really losing/winning, and what stakes I should be playing.

When all said and done though, sometimes a bad outcome is just that.

Last edited:

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is always important to analyze the hands of the day, regardless of whether you won that hand or lost it, there are always very interesting hands and when you analyze it you learn a lot:bike::bike::bike::bike:

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi mate.Yes ,we do! When I started playing poker everytime I got an Ax I was all in..I realized I was making a terrible mistake that those aces were overrated..Nowadays,I am more patient and carefull in those situations.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if I usually once a week review the hands I have played and try to learn from them I think it is the most efficient method of learning in poker

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Usually, I try to analyze my game and my decisions. If I make a mistake, I have to understand why and how it happened to prevent this in the future.

Helvec

Helvec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Above, I published a post talking about this topic because I find it interesting to know how to act in the face of failures in the game. Throughout my life playing poker I have never been critical of my way of playing. I make mistakes like everyone else, but the important thing about those mistakes is that we all have the ability to correct them. I believe that mistakes serve to learn. Before, I used to play and make mistakes that I left out, without studying or evaluating why they happened. Today, I evaluate my mistakes to perfect my game and make fewer mistakes. It is in one, to give the importance that each error deserves.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Naturally we learn. The strategy is changing and improving. The longer you play, the more skills you have. Even if you don 't notice. Then the opponents will definitely see the difference.

S

Snake2007

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think every man is wrong in life but I always try to learn from my mistakes to perfect myself with every tournament I play.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to learn from my mistakes. When i am not sure how to act in certain hand i mark it for review and later after the game i analyze it to see if i took the correct decision (no matter if i won or lost the hand).

akgross

akgross

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is also a saying, “Smart learn from the mistakes of others, and fools from their own.” Usually, practice shows that a lot is learned from personal experience. Well, when at the right time you were told what and how to do or act. You always make mistakes when you are self-confident or overestimate your strength. Work on mistakes is simple, think a few times and then just do it. If you don’t know something, then ask for advice. )))

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't learn from your mistakes you keep doing the same things over and over again, and that my friend is the definition of Insanity :).

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think one way or another, we all learn from our mistakes, just someone does it faster, someone very slowly !!!

dimon4ik89

dimon4ik89

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Of course, I constantly learn from my mistakes. After each losing hand, I analyze my actions, and try not to repeat the mistake that led to the loss in this hand. In order to advise you something, I need to study how you play, then it will be possible to eliminate many of your mistakes. Or I can advise you to watch streams of professional players and try to play like that. It will take a lot of time, but the result is worth it.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of us have heard the saying "we learn from our mistakes". But is that true for you in poker? Have you learned some of your weaknesses and fixed them or do you find your self in a rut making the same bad mistakes! I am my own worst enemy, I need to stop fighting myself.:fight:
If you have learned from your mistakes, give me some tips on what you were doing wrong and how you fixed it, please!

I learn from my mistakes playing poker, one of them I can not win, I do not have enough patience and I constantly play a lot of hands, not only good but also bad, I can not help myself

B

BrewCrewWI

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I'm playing, I learn from mistakes done over say the previous 2 or 3 days. It's all a cycle, I'll make that mistake again to relearn from it. My most often mistake is misreading the board where the player could have a gut shot straight draw only while there's flush draw opportunities out there or high cards that make this player a donk to continue playing the hand trying for the case 7, 8, or 9 for a gutter river. The non flush 7,8,9 comes making me think they missed their flush, over-bet and lose to that player. (Congrats I had QQ and trips)

The other mistake I'll learn from in a cycle, is just playing with 2 or 3 tables, and accidentally calling when I meant to fold. So shrink the screen a little more, spread them further apart, or just rage bet out of all the tables and be done for the day.

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to ever completely fix a leak but the first thing that comes to mind is stopping putting so much equity into ak. When I first started using a hud and had a decent amount of hands recorded I looked back to see what hands I was losing with the most and AK soared over the rest especially when talking pure chip loss.I started treating it like aq or aj instead of something special. Many times since I have had the urge to call a huge raise when holding ako and remembered this and folded saving myself numerous times.