Desktop VS Laptop

Do You Prefer Using Your Desktop or Laptop?

• Desktop

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Laptop

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Either

Votes: 6 10.9%

• Total voters
NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I've been playing poker on laptop just about all the time lately. When I started playing poker I played on my desktop and I seem to be doing well. I am wondering does playing poker on a desktop increase your skills by increasing your focus and patience? When I first starting playing cash games on full tilt poker I played on my desktop I did very well turning 10 to 1300 in about a week. After losing all that money within a few hours of tilting from a bad hand or two i took a break from poker. I started to cash games again but this time i would play on my laptop. Since playing on my laptop i haven't been able to replicate the sucess i use to have while play on the desktop. Is that because i am less focused lying on my bed, watching tv, or eating something or is it just a coincidence that i am playing horrible poker. I've depositted 30 dollars three times in two weeks and I've lost it all. Is this due to playing on my laptop rather than my desktop?

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
oops i meant to put this in the general poker section of cards chat dakota can you please move this to general poker section? Thanks.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i prefer my laptop but only because it's newer and faster than my desktop.
saying that Im buying a new desktop boxing day, which will be 8 times quicker than my laptop, with a 22" screen, so I'm gonna go back to that, cant wait!

Grossberger

Grossberger

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me I only have a desktop but will be getting a laptop soon. But my desktop sits right next to the TV so I watch Tv even on the desktop. The big advantage that I can see having a laptop is what happened to me about a month ago, as I said I only have a desktop, I'm playing in a $11 tourny and doing well about 5 minutes after the break I start getting stomach cramps and am like oh no, so I try to wait it out but just can't so I sit out and run to the bathroom 3-4 minutes i come running back and sit back in look at my hand history and found a hand where I had AA and 2 other players had KK and QQ well KK raises all in and QQ calls then would have been me to call but I was sidetracked, any way A hits flop and I would have won a HUGE pot that would have taken me from 230th to 4th with only about 400 players left. Now if I had a laptop I just simply take the laptop with me and then I'm not posting in this thread....or maybe i would telling you how I had won a big hand while on the throne. LOL

Exit141RTe1

Exit141RTe1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no comparison, go the laptop route. I will never own another desk top.

IcyBlueAce

IcyBlueAce

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
No way did you turn $10 to $1300 in a week.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IcyBlueAce I did do it if you dont believe then fine. But i think desktops are nice to have to concentrate on something maybe to type up a paper or to pay some bills online. I think i'll play on my laptop more because the desktop is all the way down in my basement and it is cold in there.

G

gopnik885

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I do belive that he turn 10 to 1300, as he said he lost it all, he played very dengerous and lucky poker, so dude it doesn't have any connection to the laptop or the desktop, you should have a good bankroll managment or you migh get up even higher but you wouldn't be able to stop because of the vertigo of succses.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well I do belive that he turn 10 to 1300, as he said he lost it all, he played very dengerous and lucky poker, so dude it doesn't have any connection to the laptop or the desktop, you should have a good bankroll managment or you migh get up even higher but you wouldn't be able to stop because of the vertigo of succses.

exactly i didnt know how to handle losing money because all that week every day i would be profitting from poker then that one day where i lost like 10% of my bankroll i went crazy and tilted so bad.

Vfranks

Vfranks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like both of them for different reasons, but definitly play on laptop more.
Laptop
1. You can poop and play.
2. My laptop is way faster and newer than my old destop.
3. All of my player notes are on laptop.
Desktop
1. Bigger screen.
2. 4 tables are way bigger on desktop than laptop.
3.Can fit 9 tables with no overlapping, 12 with semi-overlapping, 16 is managable with alot of overlapping.

I rarely use my desktop anymore, don't really need more than 6 tables up at a time. Seems when I add more than 6, I lose more than win lol.

As for the concentration part, that's all up to you. I can sit on my desktop, watch tv, run into the kitchen to get water, or run to the bathroom really quik. But that never guarantees I am not gonna put AA in the muck if I don't get back in time. I have missed hands on the laptop too, though, because carrying it around is a hassle sometimes.

So to conclude, you really need to be distraction free at all times, whether on the laptop or desktop. I always seem to do much better during a tournament/session if I get a HUGE glass of water, ashtray, lighter, cigs, gnob(backwards), and 420 within arms reach, and have eaten before the tournament/session. With the exception of during a tournament they have the 5 minute break, sometimes i'll refill my H20 or grab a snack. AND with the laptop I can sit in the comfort of my own bed and do all this, and definitly with the tv off for the best results.

bazerk

bazerk

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer the mobility of a netbook/laptop...haven't yet tried taking it into the 'room for resting' (aka restroom) but have played poker by the pool.

lol @ Vfranks for gnob backwards:stoned:...very prepared for sessions.

B

bigjoker66

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laptop. My laptop is newer than my desktop

D

DrMarcelo55

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer play in my bed with my laptop.. But if u prefer and u think the desktop increase ur concentration change to the desktop again. Make a few weeks of experience.

T

turby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol @ "you can poop and play"

LOL my fav PRO of my laptop. But comeon, u never know when u have to go sometimes!

But yeah... i do wish I had a bigger screen so I could play more tables.

Oskool

Oskool

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laptop

So you have the ability to run to the bathroom, go to another room if you have distractions, etc.

C

CashinJen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wrong

I think you have a bigger problem than which machine to use. If you think your gonna turn 30 dollars into thousands or even one thousand that quick again your in for a long haul. You were probably on a tear and won't repeat the speed you made the money the first time ever again or along time anyway. You should go back to BRM school and learn something or your gonna always get on tilt and loose trying to make money that fast. Believe me I've done it myself before I realized it takes alot of patience and BRM skills to built up a nice roll and it doesnt happen over night. Sure you can get lucky once in a while and go on a tear but you really need to slow down and build slowly. Just my opinion good luck

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have a bigger problem than which machine to use. If you think your gonna turn 30 dollars into thousands or even one thousand that quick again your in for a long haul. You were probably on a tear and won't repeat the speed you made the money the first time ever again or along time anyway. You should go back to BRM school and learn something or your gonna always get on tilt and loose trying to make money that fast. Believe me I've done it myself before I realized it takes alot of patience and BRM skills to built up a nice roll and it doesnt happen over night. Sure you can get lucky once in a while and go on a tear but you really need to slow down and build slowly. Just my opinion good luck

actually i was playin pretty safe i was at .01/.02 and .02/.05 and .05/.1 blinds until i got up to 100 and then i moved up to .1/.25 blinds until i reached 200 dollars and then i play .25/.5 and i made up to 400 dollars from those blinds. Then i moved up to .5/1 blinds and made up to 1k and that is when i moved to 2/4 dollars and went up to around 1.3k and then i tried to move to 3/6 blinds and then lost a huge pot AA vs AK got knocked down to around 800 dollars and from there i tilted and lost it all going crazy.

R

Ranny

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Desktop every time although that might have something to do with my laptop only having a 13'' screen and my desktop having 3 24'' monitors lol.

Also whilst laptop is fairly good, desktop is very powerful. Laptop was more bought for travelling to poker events, its been to Vegas twice.

NBA2K10ROCKETS

NBA2K10ROCKETS

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think in a couple of years desktops are just going to be replaced by laptops in homes.

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the days are over when you can make a quick thousand online from a few dollars. Money is tighter atm and the fishier types seem to have moved on. Much harder now than even eighteen months ago to stay ahead desktop or laptop.

J

JEP712

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Laptop for it's portable features. You can play poker virtually anywhere!

ukaliks

ukaliks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer my laptop as I can sit and play anywhere. Sometimes I take my laptop to my parents or mates houses to kill time.
I do want a desktop tho as it's more comfy for me to sit at a desk and play.

I

IllRaiseUPot

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i like my desktop better for somereason. prolly the bigger screen