F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've got a Cursed hand: AQ.
I can't win with it, and also I lose to it when other players have it.
I'm also doomed when there's and Ace and a Queen on the board.
I'm telling AQ is cursed (for me)

Does anyone else have a cursed pair of cards?
(and I don't mean just difficult to play hands like JJ or getting aces cracked all the time. I mean card where you don't win with them, but they also beat you and you can't win when they are in the board)

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
For me personally, this is a wonderful hand. You just do not know how to play with that hand properly. But that does not mean it is a bad hand.
Good luck.

PokStorm

PokStorm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope it will pass

AQ for me is a good hand, the one I hate is 99 because I always lose with and I often lose against.
I hope it will pass ... for me and for you Fushicho. ;)
Good luck.

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me it is KJ, he often drains me, I'm waiting for a straight or a good pair, but no way

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Fushi -- glad I finally talked you into coming onto CardsChat. You won't regret it mate.

I cannot help but also wonder about the AQ problem you have. I think the issue can be dealt with (just not for your weekly home game!)

Someone up above said you weren't playing it correctly...and although vague and perhaps harsh, it likely is on the money.

Almost any hand can be played from the right position with the right opponents and the right timing. But the key is putting the right value on it and knowing when to let it go.

Also, there is the challenge of bet-sizing to get the right number of opponents post-flop.

But the key here is not to overvalue AQ. AQo is NOT a "shove in all situations" kind of hand.

You have the option to shove, play it aggressively or keep it hidden.
My recommendation to you is to resist shoving AQ from earlier than cut-off position. Shoving from UTG is going to run you up against *someone* who has caught a pocket pair and there is still the risk of running into AA, KK, AK type hands despite the blockers which will hit home hard.

For me, it is the same with AK. I used to shove anywhere, anytime. Now, I also through in some limps or min raise from early position and subsequently use it as a bluff catcher. The benefit there, is that if I swing and miss the flop, my hand is hidden, and I can check/call my way to the turn without having risked too much.

Our home game has the problem of often having too many people in a pot. And this also serves to weaken AQ (or any hand for that matter). Home games, like ours, often result in smaller bets, smaller pots, yet more people in them. Which makes it even riskier to make big bets.

Know when to fold. AK and AQ are great starting hands. But a miss leaves you with Ace-high. Not the strongest hand in all the rankings to be sure. Fine for heads up play, but again, with 2+ opponents in the pot, chances are "someone else has hit if you haven't"...so you need to be prepared to lay it down, or pay the premium to see turn and river.

Also -- consider trying to mix it up a little. Sometimes play it slow. Throw in a check raise now and again. Don't forget about the shove altogether. Everything has a time and place... Is AQ better than a made pocket pair? For a heads up shove against one opponent, it is a flip. However, pre-flop, the only hands which are likely to call a pre-flop shove are made hands and other upper level premium hands. So AA, KK, AK and a pocket pair against AQ? It means you need to hit every time. Whereas, devaluing AQ a bit will allow you to simply play it like a normal hand, but with its premium benefits plus the bonus of being hidden. So then when an A or Q (or straight or flush) presents itself post-flop, you have some strength to call down some small bets after a missed flop, but can safely muck if others hit the flop.

As you know, this is easier said than done...

In terms of the hand that I have struggled with? I have had several hands for which I have had to change (or at least diversify) my play. AA, AK, AQ and JJ have changed, though JJ the most. AK/AQ/JJ no longer have a default shove for me. JJ is one of those hands which has killed me Sooooooo many times. The fact is, it is just a mediocre pocket pair. Worse than mediocre because it has the temerity to *look* good, but be beaten by soooo many hands.

But if you just treat JJ the same as no stronger than JT, you can play it accordingly. Call or min raise pre-flop. Check out the flop. If nothing higher than a J on the board, you may be good to start exercising pressure/aggression. However, if A, K, or Q flop, you are now on a hand which goes down in strength, proportional to the number of opponents still in the hand.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

EmiTou

EmiTou

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my case I think they are streaks, at this moment it happens to me with AJ I know they are not good cards to play hard, but they are being my cursed cards these days.

ivanlt18

ivanlt18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's some RNG there. Imagine there's people saying AA are cursed, so it must be just a bad streak, I've realized our brain seems to make up some weird conclusions about bad streaks in Poker o, it happened to me before, you're not the only one!

K

Kraanjhb7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate KK online. Always end up losing agaist Ace something.

demesquita

demesquita

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the problem with those goof/great starting hands mentioned, is that they look great and most people are willing to go down with them almost every time. Even the AA is a great pre-flop hand that, depending on the number of villains paying for the flop, can easily be beaten if a difficult board is showed. I think people just need to learn to analyse and let go when the situation presents difficult.
Hero opens from mid-position with AA for 3x, gets a call from villain on HJ with XX suited, then the button also have smaller pair calls too, then SB and BB will also have odds for this call.. and there you have a freaking 5 way flop where your AA will probably have a though time handing those other 4 guys if the flop opens a str8 and flush draws for instance, even a set might be already ahead.
As some jedi once said: "learn to let go of the things you fear to lose" ;)

A

anadrijav

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me my damn hand is QQ, a good hand theoretically but I lose with it more than 80% of the time, but of course I keep playing it.

Sschafell

Sschafell

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
yes, i have a hand that i always lose when i am with her or when the opponent is with her is 66.

R

romamirr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got a Cursed hand: AQ.
I can't win with it, and also I lose to it when other players have it.
I'm also doomed when there's and Ace and a Queen on the board.
I'm telling AQ is cursed (for me)

Does anyone else have a cursed pair of cards?
(and I don't mean just difficult to play hands like JJ or getting aces cracked all the time. I mean card where you don't win with them, but they also beat you and you can't win when they are in the board)
Yes, the problem is not in the hand, but in your game. You probably have high expectations from AQ, I suppose. Learn to use the cards correctly.
There is a phrase - when you don't know what to do, press the fold button! Many people know this, but for some reason they do not do it in practice. The inability to press the fold button in time is a pretty serious leak in the game.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello. If you have a bad omen with specific cards, I have a suggestion. Only play AQ, for example, when on the button or cutoff and only play when nobody else has placed one. Bet 3X to scare off any hopefuls. If the flop does not look good and the BB or SB bets, fold. If they check, bet the pot. You may be successful with that play. Also, this is not the only way to overcome that feeling of bad Karma, just one of a number of ways.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Great hand, I think you're just overplaying it !!!

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AQ doesn't seem like a bad hand to me, maybe you don't have good stories with that hand and that's why you're stigmatizing it, AQ beats AJ AT QJ KQ QT of course that will always depend on the board of course, the only hand with which it loses is with AK.

It is a good hand to play depending on but all the time you cannot go all-in with that hand against players who have the same stack of chips that you are good enough to continue playing, the playing situation will always depend.

In my personal case I think that a very difficult hand to play would be JJ I think it is a very weak hand.

Last edited:
dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have so many times when KK and 99 were faced up against. It doesn't matter which I have, the other is often in other players hands. :icon_joke

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
not but it depends day to day. If I'm loosing to a specific hand then i'll avoid those cards for a while, if I'm winning with certain cards then ill play those often during that day more than I would normally play them, it's about luck and knowing how to read it. jump on it or avoid it. don't be stubborn and try to force something that can't happen.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.
For me personally, this is a wonderful hand. You just do not know how to play with that hand properly. But that does not mean it is a bad hand.
Good luck.

You don't understand. It's not the way I play it, I lose to it and when it's on the board.

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
People seem to have missed the point.
I'm not saying " I lose when I have AQ"
I'm saying "I lose with it AND I lose against it AND I lose when AQ is in the board"

and it's always be involved when I got knocked out of a tourney. Some how and again it's not the way I play it cos I half the time I don't have it. It just turns up and I lose!

One of the replied mentioned this issue with 99, for which I'm grateful. At least one person understood me.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't have any foul hands, not least because I don't believe in these superstitions, I believe in math and the probability of a certain hand winning, and with a good sample there is no way, it will always win the percentage it has to win and will always lose the percentage you have to lose because the math is accurate!

F

Fatsmit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I understand you, mine is 54 suited. Normally it’s when some loon calls bet and raise with it, but sometimes it’ll be where I have it on BB or I’m priced in and it ends up causing me issues. I’ll get a flush and someone will hit a higher one or something similar.

Having said that, I think AQ is worse as it’s a pretty decent hand and hard to avoid since most people treat it like gold.

PatriceM915

PatriceM915

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good Morning

Look, I think you should analyze the cards on the table to check it better.
Sometimes the best is not always the best for us.:)

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lately KK for me, they call me with A and another low card, or with a pair of QQ and they beat me, they have been painful defeats because they have been in advanced tournament situations and with a similar stack to the rival:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

U

Ultfrozen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is my worst hand, I almost always lose with it, even to other small pairs

J

jake coady

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like A10.. idk what it is about A10 but I hate that hand, I'd much prefer to have A5 or A2 or almost anything but A10

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands