Was Criticized for How I Made a Bet? (Live)

I

Itsacommonmistake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A bit new to live poker, played online poker for almost 9 years now, however. You could easily tell I was new considering how I would get confused on who would be BB if someone left the table, accidently putting a call out when the guy before me didn't act. Anyways to the betting.. so there was a bet out there, I had enough chips in hand to call/reraise, laid the chips out to call, then the remaining for a raise. The guy whose stack I wiped commented saying that I can't do that to the dealer. The dealer said he didn't see, but since I was new I just agreed and took back the chips I raised.

The other guys at the table gave a look like the guy was complaining about nothing, but I would actually like to know if what I did was wrong or not. Am I supposed to just drop all the chips down at once? Or? The good news is that I did end up wiping the asshole out, lol. Had pocket aces when he decided to go all in preflop, vs his 10/6 :)

H

HeikoHeiko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its sounds like a string bet. You have to announced what you want. Call or raise. What you said works. never take only the chips in the middle, say that you call or raise.
practice it, for not give a tell by this.

N

nittany182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
String betting is a no-no. Keep your call/raise bet by your chip stack, toss them at once announcing. Also, if you are going for a big raise like 5,000 but 500 is a legal bet/raise don't just say "5" and assume they know thousand, specify "thousand" before chip hits the felt. Another also, once a chip crosses the line it is considered a call.

I

Itsacommonmistake

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright cool. Yeah I'll have to practice a bit then. Glad to hear that what the guy was complaining about wasn't illegitimate. So just to be clear, assuming the bet was $30, and I threw out $75 worth and just announced raise, that would be fine?

N

nittany182

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright cool. Yeah I'll have to practice a bit then. Glad to hear that what the guy was complaining about wasn't illegitimate. So just to be clear, assuming the bet was $30, and I threw out $75 worth and just announced raise, that would be fine?
That's what I would do. Say "raise" then drop them. Tournaments, when I have 20-50 thousand in front of me I have forgotten to add the "thousand" and ended up only raising to 500 not 5k.

jsnake716

jsnake716

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think some players do not want to speak, (guess they might give away something in their voice??) I never really worry abut that. I always anounce my raise, then put my chips into the pot. The only time I may not follow this is if I am in the blinds and I am just going to complete. I may just put the chips in to call, without saying anything. ?? You do have to watch the string bet because you do not want to get a "rep" as being an "angle shooter" even if you don't mean anything by it, some people will assume you were trying to gain an edge by watching players reaction to you calling...raising the bet

K

kay1919kay

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ya I was the same when I first started learning the bet line is important you can if action is checked put chips in and not say a word however if someone else bets first you have to specify it is a raise or it is only considered a call.

RidersFan

RidersFan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
. Anyways to the betting.. so there was a bet out there, I had enough chips in hand to call/reraise, laid the chips out to call, then the remaining for a raise.

Ok so it's a little unclear what your exact action was but if the bet let's just say $30 and you had $75 in your hand and cut out $30 into 2 stacks, then without moving your hand back towards your stack fanned out the remaining $45 in your hand, you did nothing wrong. If this is the case then the guy just didn't want to call a reraise and was just taking advantage of you. The dealer really should be paying attention also, you could have called the floor to get a ruling. They would have came asked what was in question, you could've shown exactly what you did and got the correct ruling. In live poker if you pick up a stack of chips and move forward you can bet any portion of that stack, it called cut and drop, just can't go back to your main stack and get more chips that would be a string bet.

S

SweatPea

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can't just call and than raise you have to announce raise before you call.. or push in all the chips you wish to raise in one shot.. that was a string bet, no big deal lesson learned.

J

Jeremy Laninger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to make a verbal bet or raise before touching any of my chips. Once your chips are over the the line on the table what's in your hand is your bet. Not all tables have the lines in them but most do. I've always done verbal bets and prefer it that way. That way there is no confusion.

L

LifeLab

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I turn off the chat so those kind of remarks don't in your head.

Usually most computer poker clients provide that option.

Organize a Home Poker Game