Controlling anxiety when playing poker

R

RANDERSAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have difficulty controlling my emotional, mostly playing live, I get very anxious, I feel chills and shaking. Is there any exercise you can help me with?

JulioJones

JulioJones

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is an emotional game, but controlling those emotions is probably the most important part about it.

Try breathing exercises. But anytime you show emotions and wear your heart on your sleeve it will work against you at the poker table.

R

Russian Idiot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perhaps you should consult a doctor. You need to check your health. Maybe you need to take alcohol before the game, some helps, drink champagne.

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

GARCIA PABLO DANIEL

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
take it easy ... I recommend a psychologist ... or do yoga !! Play to enjoy it !!! is a game is won and lost !! ... do not take it as a pressure !! in this game comes luck and skill ... keep that in mind !! Logres cordial greetings and overcome !!!

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Slow, deep breaths and exhalations will help. More to play with experience the excitement will pass.

777jeton777

777jeton777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The emotional state of a poker player is in my opinion most important. If you have problems with this, then you will not succeed in poker. need to work on this problem. Unfortunately, I can not advise you on anything. Apply soothing priparaty, try everything. I also have problems with emotions, too much aggression turns on, it is very harmful to my game. I am constantly working on myself. When I play calmly, I mean success. good luck to you.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am convinced that the player's emotional state is a very important part of a successful game. Therefore, it is important to learn how to control your own emotions. During the game, I usually listen to relaxing music. In my opinion, this is the best way to control your own emotions.

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sport, swimming, biking helps to control my emotions and it strengthens the nerves.

D

dark IPA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have difficulty controlling my emotional

it is difficult for mostly all of us! try to define situations in which u cant control yourself. then try to work on your emotions in those situations. results of your work let you know your inside-power level and as result poker- player skill

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
meditaion does help alot, I suggest you start doing tai chi or somthing.

Alex Sentsov

Alex Sentsov

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Drink vodka before poker...during a poker game...after poker. Believe me, you will not have chills and excitement :))) as well As good results :)))

Rahatis

Rahatis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you have an answer on why this is happening? I think you must be sure about it first and then try to find a solution.

Demixl

Demixl

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have difficulty controlling my emotional, mostly playing live, I get very anxious, I feel chills and shaking. Is there any exercise you can help me with?
Darling you should calm down, and do yoga, or better breathingb exercises

R

RANDERSAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
KKKK good requested, with beer already I get bad from the head. With vodka sometimes it gets better

C

Cesum Pec

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I assume you are a beginning player. Understand that we've all been there. Just keep playing at small stakes that are well within your bankroll tolerance. You'll win some and you'll lose some and it will all seems like old school eventually.

After a while, you'll bad beat others, winning pots you didn't deserve, but the same thing will happen to you. It will become just another part of the game that you expect and deal with in a calm quiet manner. As you get better, you'll get bad beat more often than you give bad beats because you'll get smart enough to stay out of a lot of situations where a semi miracle is your only hope.

You'll get quads often enough that you can smugly call them two pair, black kings and red kings, feeling better about your little joke than you do about the pot and high hand bonus you just won.

You'll get used to the fact that after the flop and you got all in, that your top set gets outdrawn to the open ended straight or 4 flusher about 1 time in 4. It's just the way it is and you'll understand that you really wanted his bad call that will make you a lot of $$$ the other 3 times it happens.

But if you try to get this experience outside your personal tolerance for pain, you're unlikely to get better. I admit I'm not a 5/10 NL quality player. I need to get better before I leave 2/5. Take a hard look at yourself and admit what you can and can not do. People who play scared lose.

guineasqueak

guineasqueak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Working out regularly is the key to anxiety. You won't feel like a sunken worm being slimy. Instead, you will look to the sky with an energy of hope, and inspired anticipation of reaching new heights.

SAKhur

SAKhur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's a reason for all this. We need to define it and act. Maybe you're mismanaging your bankroll. I know by myself when a bankroll is good I enjoy the game. I had a small bankroll, I played the last chips. I was very nervous and angry. I was annoyed. All lost. Still, you need to take a break from the game and have a good rest with your friends.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If you are a novice player, then you should not worry about it with time and with experience the excitement will pass. But if you are playing for a long time and the excitement does not pass, I recommend contacting a psychologist !!!

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

it is better to consult a doctor about some kind of excitement and other reasons, the doctor may prescribe some medicines for excitement and nerves and you will be better to play and feel great, but you can be helped by breathing exercises, but I would advise you to consult a qualified doctor such problems

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it is better to consult a doctor about some kind of excitement and other reasons, the doctor may prescribe some medicines for excitement and nerves and you will be better to play and feel great, but you can be helped by breathing exercises, but I would advise you to consult a qualified doctor such problems
I couldn't agree more with you vov4ik... I had extreme anxiety not just for poker but in general and consulted my Dr some time ago, there is no shame in dealing with problems like this with suitable medication.. I was prescribed Propranolol and it really has saved me from high blood pressure as well as climbing the walls when I've felt most anxious... As a side effect it helps greatly with concentration where poker is concerned, only when I've the need to take it... This medication can be stopped or started when ever you feel the need, hence my in consistent poker results lol

R

Riversalmon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your a caffeine drinker, cut down on it a little. CBD oil helps me with my anxiety throughout the day. You can also try different breathing techniques and drink plenty of water.

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Most players make fatal mistakes by giving in to their emotions while playing poker. Emotions can interfere with a successful game:
first, they prevent a sound assessment of your strength and the strength of the opponent;
secondly, under their influence, you can not assess the capabilities of the Bank and choose the right strategy. Such emotional manifestations as anger, anger, nervousness and even excessive joy can lead to a complete loss of concentration and reduce all efforts to zero. Before you sit down to play at the table, evaluate the situation and pay attention to the clothes, drinks, as stacked chips from your poker rivals. Usually more tight player is very accurate, he sits with his hands folded on his chest, this position suggests that the person does not want to go to the contact and it is difficult to read. Therefore, your behavior at the table should be as if you are very seriously thinking about something, so behave like real professionals. Emotional state in poker and confidence in the game are of great importance on the way to victory or defeat.
First of all, you need to work on yourself, but do not forget about the emotions of opponents, as they also have an impact on your game.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, the feeling of self-confidence comes only with experience. Therefore, my advice is to play more often, gain experience and improve skills.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the anxiety comes from playing at such high stakes (even if it's min [$1/$2]) at a live game then just start out playing SUPER tight. Remember, you can essentially sit out 5 orbits and only lose $15. "Sitting out" those hands while still playing and paying attention to the table can calm your nerves enough that you gain control of that anxiety and can then open your game up. Plus it gives you time to watch how people are playing and when you do open up your game, maybe you can take advantage of the knowledge.

Now, a completely different problem would be if you are intimidated by the other players. Not, "I think they are better than me" but actually being afraid of them as people, not players. Some people (like me) have social anxiety and playing in front of a group of people who want your money and will do anything to take it is very intimidating. The way I get over this is to avoid looking people in the eyes and focus on the cards dealt and the bets placed (the way you do online). After a while I calm down and realize they are just players like me and then I can start looking for tells. Usually takes 5-10 orbits.