Come on you know you love Phil Hellmuth.

L

lqprimetime

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just youtubed a Phil Hellmuth blow up compilation, and they are all great. But I will make my argument here in a weird way, that even some pros(see early seasons of High Stakes Poker) like Phil just for a laugh.

I don't agree with the abuse of players, at least maybe not random players in public infront of their family etc. He can vent privately.
But the reasons to like him are:
1) Just for the laugh of seeing him lose it.
2) Some may side with "he is actually good" and even his critics admit this. And to be fair he has the bracelets and got them before the poker craze in the 90s and still getting them now with all the thousands of people entering.
3) BUT NUMBER 3, a youtube comment I saw made me laugh, summed it up PERFECTLY.
The comment said "this happens to me every day on poker stars". I was like, he's right! The hands everyone here has been knocked out of tournaments with, or just in general lost. AA vs Q 2, whatever preflop.

In perspective to the "ego" hate, I don't like Mike Matusow really at all when he melts down. At least Phil's beats i can relate too and he is usually right to be mad. And he says the greatest lines.

Edit: I will say, 1 thing i don't like is even when someone admits it was a bad beat or lucky, or apologizes he doesn't even thank them and drop it. Just tells them to shut up.

Dzob

Dzob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like Phil because he insults opponents after losing a hand. Such a situation should be disqualification from the tournament. I think that an offensive trash talking should be banned. If players agree to it, for example, for a better TV show, that's fine.

PaxMundi

PaxMundi

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a John McEnroe style melt down for T.V it's probably in their contracts these days.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
People don't like Helmuth, but like other jerks who jump up and down when they win a pot on a suckout like they just made the winning touchdown in the Super Bowl. I don't it.

R

Riomaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have zero respect for Phil Helmuth and do not enjoy him. I want to watch him to see him lose and then it's just spoiled by all the camera time they give him watching him cry.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A great poker player,,,a flawed person/man.He seems unhappy most of the time,,,a sense of entitlement will do that to a person.

vapandrei

vapandrei

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually like douchy people, a-holes and jerks.. but this guy is something more, something I trully dislike.

firstcrack

firstcrack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I generally find his antics to be amusing. Of course, sometimes he crosses the line, which I do not like, but it seems more times than not that he gets what he deserves during those moments. All in all, I think that the game of poker will miss the Poker Brat when he is finished playing. He definitely draws attention to the game.

R

Rivaud

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I love him. He goes overboard at times but he is passionate. Sometimes people get offensive when they lose in any sport or competition. If I ever had the privilege of having Helmuth to blow up on me I'd simply rake in his chips, thank him and assure him I'd take good care of them

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is a corporate whore that I would not be surprised if he had significantly less money than he says he has. A true scumbag that ruins tournament poker by explicitly calling players idiots when they are just playing poker.

dcproster

dcproster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love Phil Hellmuth.His is a very good player.But also he is very funny.And he can dodge bullets.

radartodd69

radartodd69

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like Helmuth for a lot of reasons. He isn't a be quiet and just play kind of player. He's animated and entertaining to watch. He criticizes some awful play and usually he's right on. If I were to pick a coach, he'd be the one I think.

F

fordman427

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like him but I am annoyed but his hissy fits, some of them are obviously just for the show

Eric Salvador

Eric Salvador

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just saw a good YouTube video that talked about entitlement and how a lot of us feel the game of poker owes us something, but it doesn't. If Phil< Mike or whoever want to complain then go ahead but its a waste of time and can have you tilt even further in a downward spiral. He's a great player and great for the game just don't think his complaining helps. People are playing him with the intent of cracking him.

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do but he just gets tilted easily and does not control himself

J

johnson2000d

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil

He is an Icon in the poker world, 15 bracelets, previous online pro with Ultimate Bet,
he is a brat that will never fully mature.

He will be around along time

The wsop and WPT committees may want to send a letter and threaten a suspension.

What we need to do is try to raise our game and beat him one day.

This last rant happened because James Campbell - an online pro legend who was also a pro with Ultimate Bet pushed Phil around at the table all day until he finally blew