Chris ferguson 10k challenge, fake or not

J

j0na1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of you probably already heard of chris ferguson's 10k challenge on full tilt. He reached the goal of 10k in 1,5 year or so (i'm not sure). I had a lot of respect for that and watched videos of that on the full tilt site & was really enthousiastic.

But just now i found this site pokertableratings.com where you can search for your money earning in cashgames. First i searched myself and it was pretty accurate. So I searched a few pro's and some random ppl online and some friends. But then i thought about the 10k challenge, and how i was suppose to see the progress but all i see is a big loosing streak! His total earnings says: -3k and on sharkscope his earnings (sharkscope only finds MTT/SNG) -1,6k.
Is the 10k challenge fake?
Or did the 10k challenge happen so far in the future that we can't see any of that data no more?

B

brandonnj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some of you probably already heard of chris ferguson's 10k challenge on full tilt. He reached the goal of 10k in 1,5 year or so (i'm not sure). I had a lot of respect for that and watched videos of that on the full tilt site & was really enthousiastic.

But just now i found this site pokertableratings.com where you can search for your money earning in cashgames. First i searched myself and it was pretty accurate. So I searched a few pro's and some random ppl online and some friends. But then i thought about the 10k challenge, and how i was suppose to see the progress but all i see is a big loosing streak! His total earnings says: -3k and on sharkscope his earnings (sharkscope only finds MTT/SNG) -1,6k.
Is the 10k challenge fake?
Or did the 10k challenge happen so far in the future that we can't see any of that data no more?

It cant happen in the future.. But it prob says that cause its not like he stopped playing on that name after the challenge, after doing it he probably jumped on a big cash table or did something with the money.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. PTR,SS,OPR are not 100% acurate. If you use a program like Pokertracker or HEM try comparing your database numbers with thouse of the sites. I gurantee you they will not match 100%.
2.He did reach 10k from 0 but he also played before and after the challenge so some of thouse loses could be old/new.
3. PTR is a relativly new site and if im not mistaken has only been tracking FTP since Jan of last year.

So yeah its not fake...

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It definitely happened - pretty sure some members here even played with him at the lower stakes while he was working his way up.

J

jijiboss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it happened too... He played before and after the challenge so those data can't be accurate....

canucks921

canucks921

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
HE went from 10k from zero, did he freeroll to earn money. What is the site where you can read about this. I never heard it.

FREEROLLSFTW

FREEROLLSFTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its %70 accurate for sure, they lose track of a few pots and mess up on some of the numbers. im sure that anyone who is determined can do the challenge but its also possible that he gave up.

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's bits and pieces documented here and there:

"Chris Ferguson started his journey on March 22, 2006, and it took him almost the entire rest of that year to even get into double figures. In November, he finally made a “big” score, winning over $100 in a $1 multi-table tournament. It still took him until just last month to make it over $1,000, but there was no looking back once he cashed in that tournament. He had a big spike between July 20 and July 24, making over $3,000, then another between July 27 and August 3, when he made around $5,000.

He got over the hump this week, on August 14, aided by a 20th place finish in the FTOPS V event, for which he made $815. By the end of the day, Ferguson saw his bankroll hit $13,813.07.

Ferguson has pledged to donate his winnings to the Save the Children Foundation."

DaBigBoss

DaBigBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shows even a pro has to struggle for some time to climb up in his BR
..I would say i would try this but....I think we all are there right now! lol

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I definately think that this is possible and Im pretty sure weve got someone on this site who has done and finnished the Ferguson challange.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
He did... they're not going to 'pretend' he did (what would that say for integrity?).
If you're trying to track via Sharkscope... you will be missing alot of his results (sharkscope didn't use to track MTT's until fairly recently... the 10k challenge was long before SS began tracking MTTs, (they've always tracked SNGs).
There are other result tracking sites where specific dates can be entered into it (ie. let's say Ferg challenge started in Feb.'06 and ended in Oct.'07,.. you can punch in the exact dates (whatever they are... this is just hypothetically speaking for purpose of an example).
Pretty sure it'd shove Chris reaching the $10K goal.

...must've been gruelling for him to have to play such shitty poker in the micro donk levels... I wonder how much they paid him to bother with it?

OP.. if you can find the dates that Ferguson started the challenge.... and then when he completed it... I'll run the dates and see what it says.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
shows even a pro has to struggle for some time to climb up in his BR
..I would say i would try this but....I think we all are there right now! lol
actually.. to be more specific.. it shows that a pro has to really struggle to get a freeroll cash to get started on trying to build a bankroll from nothing... and then struggle some more in the mini-micro limits so he doesn't go busto with a limited # of buyins.

Even a 'pro'... not sure if you realize this.. but alot of the 'pros' (or at least the ones who ar e associated with Fulltilt and have their names written in 'red') are not necessarily the players who have good results in the MTTs online. In fact it's the minority of them that are even competitive with the MTT leaderboard. There are also many more 'pros' who are playing on Fulltilt that are not written in red in comparison to the ones who are.
Quite a few of the 'pros' (as in Fulltilt pros), have terrible results in online MTTs.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^^ Quite a few FTP pros have horrible results in all of poker but get deals because there easily marketed.

C

chipshuffler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well i certainly havent heard any of those results before but that surely doesnt take in the fact that he has obviously played before and after the 10k event. Maybe he had a huge losing streak before hand and this is why u see the results.

I obviously thoguht it was real while he was doing it as he was playing extremely low stakes and entering into most of the freerolls. So yeah....i think its all real.

WEC

WEC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was smart of OP to look at pokertableratings.com to see how Ferguson did. As someone else pointed out though, the site is fairly new and only tracks results from FullTilt since 4/1/2008 (Thus, it would have missed entirely his 0-10K effort). Just to note it is pretty accurate but they even state the accuracy is 95+ %, so not perfect. Also, they only track at $.5/$1 NL and higher, and $2/4 Fixed Limit and higher. So lower limits will be missed entirely.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
at pokertableratings.com Also, they only track at $.5/$1 NL and higher, and $2/4 Fixed Limit and higher. So lower limits will be missed entirely.

Actually on Fulltilt they even track 2NL ($0.01/0.02).
{they don't track pokerstars micro levels << unless this has also changed?}

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hmm... things haven't gone quite so great for Chris Ferguson after completing the 0-$10k challenge on Fulltilt. (at least as far as MTT's & SNG's go). Maybe he should've stuck to the micros?
Here's his current results (these are not tracked via SharkScope as many of you know, SharkScope wasn't tracking MTT's until recently (I think not until the beginning of 2009 if I'm not mistaken?) ).
MTT's 197-games played, avg.buyin: $260.47, ROI -55%,
Total Profit: -$27,854 (minus)
SNG's 38-games played, avg.buyin: $61.91, ROI -82%,
Total Profit: -$1,912

Go Chris Go!! Chris... if you want, you could just stake me for a bit and let me run your account up... or if you're interested in some coaching.. send me a pm.;)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
As mentioned above.. pokertableratings only goes back a ways.
Chris hardly has any hands played on Fulltilt cash tables.... only shows 740hands played, -13.83BB/100, -$2,597.00 (mostly played at $5/$10).

I'm guessing Chris's experience in the micros was just about enough for him for online poker??? The 'bug' didn't seem to kick in, or maybe that 18mos. challenge was enough time for any pro who's taking it down in live games to know they've had 'enough', lol.

Maybe Chris needs a personal invite to a Cardschat game? Would he have to get the required number of posts to obtain the pw? Would we get in trouble if we shared the password with him?

coolnout

coolnout

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zero To Hero | Turn $0 into $10,000
Chris Ferguson's Bankroll Challenge

Chris Ferguson turned $ 0 into $ 10,000 in his bankroll challenge - can you?

By Chris 'Jesus' Ferguson
March 2009
Back in 2006 I came up with a personal challenge. The idea was that I’d start with zero dollars on full tilt poker with the intention of building it into a $ 10,000 bankroll. I really wanted to demonstrate to people the power of good bankroll management and what you can accomplish with it, because I know far too many poker players who don’t have it. They can be amazingly good players but a lot of them are broke, which is a real pity.

The fact of the matter is that there are no shortcuts to winning and rising through the ranks at poker. If a lot of the broke poker players had moved down levels before they’d lost everything, they’d still be playing with their own money. But for many players ego can get in the way of sensible decisions. I’m going to teach you that with hard work you can rise up through the levels – and the harder you work, the higher the level you’ll be able to reach.
Ground zero

The first problem to address is the hardest: how do you get anywhere starting with zero in your poker account? Luckily, you don’t have to pay to play online and Full Tilt offers an array of freerolls that enable you to play for free and win real money. Back when I started my challenge, Full Tilt was running a couple every day and I’d try to play them, at least once every other day. There would be around 900 players in each tournament and the top 18 spots got paid – first place would get $ 5, second $ 3, and third to 18th $ 2 apiece. If you didn’t sign up within the first 90 seconds of registration opening, the tournament would fill up and you’d have to wait until the next one, so I’d set an alarm clock to remind me. I didn’t want to use my connections to get registered into a tournament, as I wanted to demonstrate how anyone could do the same thing.

One of the funny things about the challenge is that people would see me playing a freeroll and think I was fooling around. Are you kidding me? I was taking those freerolls dead seriously, because getting money out of them was an essential part of the challenge. I was sweating on the other side praying, ‘Please fold, please fold!’ and really playing my heart out for that $ 2. A lot of people don’t take freerolls seriously, but if they were on my table they did – ‘Ooh, I’m playing with Chris Ferguson. I’m not going to move all-in every hand like I usually do. I’m going to try and play, because this is kind of fun.’
The grind

I remember winning my first $ 2 a couple of weeks into the challenge, and I strategised for three days, deliberating over what game to play with it. In the end I decided to play the $ 0.05/$ 0.10 no-limit Hold’em game, which is the lowest game on Full Tilt. The minimum buy-in is $ 2 and it only gave me 20 big blinds to play with. Unfortunately it didn’t work out and within one round I went broke when I lost a coin-flip with A-Q against a pair of tens.

It was terrible but it wasn’t that much of a setback – I always knew the challenge was going to be hard. My punishment was that when I went broke I had to drop back down to the freerolls, which really motivated me to play my A-game whenever I had any cash. You have to beat those low levels to move up to the next level, and what you’ll find is that being forced to play by these rules really motivates you to play well, even when you’re playing low.

Once I built my bankroll up to $ 50 I started to get strict and put a series of rules in place. The rules form the basis for good bankroll management and should be adhered to by any poker player, no matter what level you play at. It didn’t make it easy to build up though. I was playing a lot of low stakes cash games and sit-and-gos, but I didn’t really make any money from them. I basically broke even on them and made about $ 22 from freerolls. I cashed in about one in ten, at about an hour and a half for each, which works out at $ 0.14 an hour or something stupid, but that wasn’t the point.
Lift-off

Getting to the $ 100 mark was the real key moment for me and that happened when I came second in a $ 1 tournament for $ 104. After that I played a variety of different games and multiple tables. I didn’t play too many tournaments though – despite the fact I’m primarily a tournament player. I enjoy them, but they can be brutal to the bankroll.

I thought it would take me six months to get to this point and then another six months to get to $ 10,000. As it turns out it actually took me nine months to get to $ 100 and then another nine to $ 10,000, moving slowly through the levels. It took a year and a half in total, and I had to spend about ten hours a week to get there, so I wasn’t doing it full-time but it did take up a good chunk of time. You might think it sounds like a lot of work for little return, but for me it’s all about the challenge and I cared a great deal about that. I even took the play money games and freerolls very seriously because I wanted to move up. When I was playing the freerolls I wanted to get into the $ 0.05/$ 0.10 game, and I played hard there because I wanted to get into the $ 0.25/$ 0.50 game. It was a continually motivating force.

If you think playing in the $ 25/$ 50 game makes you a better poker player, you’re wrong. Learning how to beat the $ 0.25/$ 0.50 games makes you a better poker player. Okay, learning how to beat the $ 25/$ 50 does too, but there’s a right and wrong way to do that. Follow the rules I set out in this challenge, play the bigger games when you can, and you’ll succeed.
Dropping down

The hardest point in poker comes when you have to move down in stakes. Once I’d finished this challenge I built the bankroll up to $ 28,000 and then went on a big losing streak. At $ 28,000 I was able to play $ 25/$ 50 no-limit, and I lost down to $ 20,000, $ 15,000, then $ 10,000 and I actually went below $ 10,000. At that level, according to my rules, I could only play the $ 5/$ 10 games, and then when my bankroll dipped below $ 8,000 I could only play the $ 2/$ 4 game.

In fact when I began to play the $ 2/$ 4 games again I did start to lose focus, because I’d had the excitement of playing a lot higher. When that started happening I had to take a break, as I knew I wasn’t focused on the game anymore. This is the same no matter what level you’re playing at. It’s always hard to feel motivated when you have to move down, but if you aren’t motivated and can’t stick to the rules at any point you absolutely need to take a break and only come back when you’re feeling refreshed and focused. Funnily enough, the real strength of bankroll management is that it forces you down the levels if you lose. That’s what’s so powerful about the system and it will change the way you look at the game.

How do you not lose heart if you go bust? You’re going to go bust – it’s just something you have to face. Building a bankroll from scratch isn’t easy and there are lots of hurdles. The only way you can start again is to win a freeroll, or cash in a freeroll and start again from there. Not everyone will to get up to $ 10,000 but what’s beyond question is that by using this system properly you’ll rise to the level you should, or the level you’re able to. It’s the right way to play poker and it will improve your game in the long run.
Getting started

You can try the bankroll challenge on any site that offers regular freerolls, but Ferguson completed it at Full Tilt and shows how you can follow in his footsteps

$ 0 From zero the only way to build your bankroll is via freerolls. Full Tilt offers ten $ 100 freerolls a day that are open to everyone. They start at 40 minutes past the hour and registration starts on the hour, with the field capped at 2,700. The top 27 players get paid ($ 15 for first down to $ 2 for 10th-27th). There are also daily region-specific $ 100 freerolls that are restricted to players from that particular area.

Play chips If you’ve built up some play chips you can also play in the daily $ 40 freeroll, which costs 500,000 play chips to enter. The beauty of these is that they only attract 40-50 players, giving you a serious chance to score your first cash. Another plus is that if you’re grinding at the play money tables for a long time you can actually learn a lot, but you have to take it seriously. Yes, the small play money games are horrendously bad, but move up to the $ 1k/$ 2k blinds and higher and the games are pretty tough.

$ 2 Once you get some cash, there are seven $ 1 tourneys each day including ‘The Ferguson’ – a small guaranteed tournament at 6.30am (GMT) – created during my run to $ 10,000. Full Tilt has also added a daily $ 1,000 guaranteed $ 0.10 buy-in tournament with $ 0.50 rebuys. You can also play $ 1 sit-and-gos, and the lowest level cash games are at $ 0.05/$ 0.10 with a $ 2 minimum buy-in. When your bankroll gets going, there are usually two to four $ 2 and $ 3 MTTs every hour and plenty of $ 2 SNGs running round the clock, as well as micro stakes ring games.
Take the challenge

Once you’ve got your bankroll to $ 50 you can start to implement Ferguson’s golden rules. Don’t break them and $ 10,000 is yours for the taking…

1 You can never risk more than 5% of your bankroll in sit-and-gos and cash games. If you’re playing MTTs you can’t buy in for more than 2% of your bankroll, or 0.5% in rebuy tournaments. The only exceptions are for tournaments that cost $ 2.50 or less. In my challenge I also stopped myself from playing satellites unless I could afford the buy-in of the event I was satelliting into. I would change that rule now because Full Tilt gives you the option to take your winnings as ‘T’ dollars, to use in any tournament. If you can’t afford the buy-in, take the ‘T’ dollars and enter a tournament within the guidelines.

2 If you’re playing pot-limit or no-limit cash games you should get out before the blinds reach you if you have more than 10% of your bankroll on the table at any one time. You can move up a level as soon as you have enough money to buy into the game.

3 If you have to drop down a level, or you’ve had a few tough sessions and it’s affecting your motivation, take a break. Come back when you’re rested and able to play in the small games with 100% focus. It’s not easy. I don’t tilt, which is fortunate, but if you feel yourself tilting, you’ve got to take a break. These rules are supposed to motivate you to know to take that important break.

4 If you see an easy game for more money, don’t join in – it’s not an excuse to play in that game. However, if you spot a lower stakes game featuring a much easier field, by all means play it. You can actually make more money overall in a soft $ 2/$ 4 game than in a tough $ 5/$ 10 game.

5 You must never break any of the above rules and you need to focus 100%. If you’re going to break these rules, you won’t make the challenge.

Mike1Nap4

Mike1Nap4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm... things haven't gone quite so great for Chris Ferguson after completing the 0-$10k challenge on Fulltilt. (at least as far as MTT's & SNG's go). Maybe he should've stuck to the micros?
Here's his current results (these are not tracked via SharkScope as many of you know, SharkScope wasn't tracking MTT's until recently (I think not until the beginning of 2009 if I'm not mistaken?) ).
MTT's 197-games played, avg.buyin: $260.47, ROI -55%,
Total Profit: -$27,854 (minus)
SNG's 38-games played, avg.buyin: $61.91, ROI -82%,
Total Profit: -$1,912

Go Chris Go!! Chris... if you want, you could just stake me for a bit and let me run your account up... or if you're interested in some coaching.. send me a pm.;)

I watched his BR video earlier today and in mentions losing 18K after building up his BR to 28K from 0. So seeing that -$27,854 doesn't surprise me so much. Plus you really only place in the money 1 out of every 10 games unless you're doing something very very right.

You can run up my account up :) You get $5. :p

L

luckforsome

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its definitley true...i kinda followed his progress by loking at him to see what hes playing...i sat down on his table a few times, as in on freerolls and small cash games...
even if i dditn see him, idd still say its true, cause hes done interviews and stuff, and he seems a respected guy on the poker tour..so i dont think hed like about something like this..but defo true...

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This challenge was completed a couple of years ago I think. He did this one ($0-$10,000) and gave it to charity, then did a $1-$10,000 and gave it away again.
I saw Chris play in Party Pokers premier league last year and nearly threw away two black 9's in the cut off as the short-stack (he went busto on them, but it was a standard play given his situation). Afterwards he said that had it been his own cash, he'd have shoved in an instant. The reason he agonised over it was because there were all his team-mates' prize money rested on his shoulders too. Perhaps he just loosens up when he's online with his own $'s. As long as he keeps making the cash in the big live tourneys (and he does, a LOT!) i'm sure he'll be ok.
With his challenge money going to charity though, I think he may have been more stringent with his rules.

Sysvr4

Sysvr4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chris strikes me as one of the most genuine, honest figures in all of poker. I doubt very seriously he'd jeopardize his reputation on a marketing ploy of FTP's.

As a US player, I think the $0-whatever has gained a certain respect outside of just being an academic exercise. Under the UIGEA, as I understand it, it's illegal to deposit, but not to play. Well, there you go.

I've won several hundred dollars on certain sites starting with $0 with very limited playing time there. My wife has done the same. It goes without saying that Chris is way better than either of us. This is not only possible, but imminently doable with sufficient time, patience, and practice.

sCATpoker

sCATpoker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This challenge is basically what i have formed my BRM plan around and has been awesome for me...admittadely especially when first starting out was a little boring grinding 1/2c games but wasnt long tell i moved up . But really thats just poker any game can become dull and boring at certain tables where the action or hands are flat. I am a huge fan of Jesus he is my favorite pro and i would bet all i have that his challenge results are legit.