Chess and poker

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What is more useful for the development of human chess or poker?

I would like to talk which game is better as a game model of logic. At school age I was seriously interested in playing chess, there were great successes. But for the development of logical thinking, chess gave me practically nothing. Perhaps it was age. At university, I met poker, which had a great influence on me. Of course, chess and poker are very different games and you probably should not compare games with complete and incomplete information. I would like to know your opinion about these games as a game model of logic?

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
Undoubtedly, everything that makes you think has a positive impact on your mental activity. There is no difference whether it is chess or poker.
Good luck.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a very cool question. I am an above average chess player and honestly, I don't know if chess helped me develop logic, or I already had potential to develop it and chess just draw it out of me. Same goes for poker. I first started playing card games when I was 4 years old, so I think that when I got into poker, I already had some logic developed and skills to keep track of cards and action.

My belief is that neither develops logic for you. Think of all the people that play chess and/or poker and figure out if their logic is on a high level or not. My point is that you are basically born with the potential, and different things equally draw it out of you making you fulfill that potential!

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Bozovicdj for the answer. The influence of chess on the ability to consistent thinking has been proven by many studies and experiments. I have not heard of such research about poker. In any case, these are two great games.;)

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that chess is more useful for the development of strategic and tactical thinking of people. But in any case, poker also has some positive impact.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Few chess players on the site:mad:.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I liked chess a long time ago, but it was a long time ago at school, and when I became acquainted with the game of poker, I really liked the game and poker is still good for me to develop logical thinking, and also very good for me when poker brings extra profit!

1k95

1k95

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker develops all the same mental abilities as chess.The collection and analysis of information, thinking through the strategy and its furtmoves.

C

Cloxy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would like to talk which game is better as a game model of logic. At school age I was seriously interested in playing chess, there were great successes. But for the development of logical thinking, chess gave me practically nothing. Perhaps it was age. At university, I met poker, which had a great influence on me. Of course, chess and poker are very different games and you probably should not compare games with complete and incomplete information. I would like to know your opinion about these games as a game model of logic?
I think chess more intellectual, so more useful. In the chess you have more ways to play. In the chess you can create whole combinations. But poker more gambling and easier to learn, so, maybe more popular.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Both are excellent games to develop your mind, only that poker is currently more popular than chess because you can earn a lot of money.

Personally, I think that someone who plays poker and also plays chess has an advantage over who does not play both.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is great if you want to improve your brain so that you can calculate and process big amount of information very fast. This is useful thing of course but in my opinion poker have much broader and complex effect on you because poker is much similar to real life. When you play poker your learn to control your emotions, to work better with your money, to more easily analyze people, to perform fast some calculations (though not as complex as in chess). So in general poker is more useful.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks Bozovicdj for the answer. The influence of chess on the ability to consistent thinking has been proven by many studies and experiments. I have not heard of such research about poker. In any case, these are two great games.;)

There is a reason for lack of studies as to whether poker influences person's logic development. Poker is pretty new, compared to chess. Also, in some countries, you have chess classes in elementary schools so it's safe to say it is more common and far more popular then poker.

Also, poker has a gambling label all over it, so it would be tricky for someone to do a study and say poker is good for you, when in all honesty, people can lose tons of money through poker.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I also play chess at school I played him so far already only play poker :). I played poker later, about two years actually; both logical games are difficult and develop the brain. I admit I chose poker because of the big chance to make money. I've played and chess tournaments I have won money but can not be compared to poker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I believe chess and poker are equally useful. In my opinion, chess develops strategic thinking, poker develops tactical thinking. The benefits of these games are obvious.

C

crimsonshroud88

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If we consider human development in general, poker might teach us a thing or two about life and how people behave, what types of personalities they have, how to handle finance and risk and so on.
However, you might face a problem when people see you teaching poker to your and neighbours' kids hehe
So chess is still a solid choice, won't hurt anyone. Except, potentially chess won't make you rich if it matters.

jrgum25

jrgum25

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like you I played chess when I was younger and found poker later in life a couple of years after I graduated college. I find poker to be more stimulating but back in HS I couldn't get enough of playing a good game of chess with someone else. I think they're both challenging games but I find poker to be more enjoyable now and very rarely play chess.

S

sergo1203

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chess is very useful for the development of children. Poker is a game of chance.

LanaRhoades

LanaRhoades

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that chess is better for mind development but poker is more lucrative.

P

pawelmad9

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for my brain development i watch everyday polish version of wheel of fortune:)

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm going to play poker for money! Chess no! Any cool chess Player can play Poker, not every professional poker player can play Chess! Poker is a game with randomness! Chess is a game without!

J

Johnluck77

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Be kind and play with logical and be carfully . That it. Not so hard at all.

A

AlbieTross

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I know how to play poker and I don't know how to play chess and I think I'm doing alright for myself so...

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Chess is analytical, all moves are based on perceived expected result no emotion. Poker may at times be the same in a small way, but better players make decisions based on there emotion or better with the oppenents emotion. No bluffing in chess, hahahah.
So poker teaches you to read people and there emotions, which is a good gift for real world servival.