Cards chat Poker discussions

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do most cards chaters give short, not very well thought out answers to poker strategy questions? Further more, when you ask follow up questions to their short answers, they do not respond in most cases.
I believe that we are all here to learn, therefore please take a moment to consider your answers, especially if you have no intention of responding to follow up questions.
It is also important to remember that just because you have read a question, it does not mean you have to answer it. If you don't understand it, follow it and learn from the answers as oppose to giving answers that waste both yours and the reader's time.
I am fairly knew to cards chat and I have noticed that a of people give answers to questions they do not understand, or perhaps haven't taken the time to consider.

So for those of you that read this, please encourage others to put a little more thought into their answers, challenge those that don't.

It's worth noting that the saying "Be the change you want to see" Is very appropriate here because we are all here for the same purpose and that is to improve at poker.
If 10 people read this and those 10 people started giving in depth and well thought out answers, some people that read their answers will also go on to give in depth answers and then the cycle would continues.
The compound effect would reach every active user in less than a month. Then we would gradually see an improvement in answers as the old answers get drowned out by the new well thought out answers.

Let's make cards chat a great place to learn poker.

Thank you for taking the time out to read this. I hope that you will consider what I am saying.

Kind regards
'The Muffier' - Stars

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cardschat is a great place for newer and recreational players to learn and discuss.

It causes issues like you have described.

Definitely encouraging others to post more indepth could help, but the best way to improve others is to lead by example.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You make a great point. What Ryan said is true though - we attract a lot of recreational players and we need to teach them how to properly post strategy threads.

Please report the really bad ones to us so we can delete them.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I, Yanko57, engage myself to give posts that will contain a minimum of 2 sentences that will be perfectly clear to explain my points and thoughts.

Every time.

Mark my words

Enjoy this beautiful hobby that is poker...

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this reasoning .The problem of short and rash posts is clearly not new..
Admins now possible to fight this by removing unnecessary posts ..of course you can't keep track ..
I'm on the forum quite new ,though, play online poker for a long time . My friend recommended two poker sites, 2+2 and CardsChat . I joined the forum and have no regrets ,I can ask on topics that interest me and reply in the topics that you simply interesting..If I answered every topic I read ......I don't.:)

Recently I asked the forum for advice on how to overcome your tilt ,I was advised to read the book "mind Games" associated with the psychological component of poker .So I did, the book helps me a little to cope with my problem ,thanks to the advice given in this forum.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with this reasoning .The problem of short and rash posts is clearly not new..
Admins now possible to fight this by removing unnecessary posts ..of course you can't keep track ..
I'm on the forum quite new ,though, play online poker for a long time . My friend recommended two poker sites, 2+2 and CardsChat . I joined the forum and have no regrets ,I can ask on topics that interest me and reply in the topics that you simply interesting..If I answered every topic I read ......I don't.:)

Recently I asked the forum for advice on how to overcome your tilt ,I was advised to read the book "mind Games" associated with the psychological component of poker .So I did, the book helps me a little to cope with my problem ,thanks to the advice given in this forum.
You should also read/ listen to 'the mental game of poker' by Jared Tindler. Great book for tilt control and general poker emotions.

MrGoodFlop

MrGoodFlop

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that some of the apparently lesser quality posts are written by people whose first language is not English. I guess it's the price to pay for having participants from every part of the world.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that some of the apparently lesser quality posts are written by people whose first language is not English. I guess it's the price to pay for having participants from every part of the world.
People like you, are the reason I posted this.
You read a lengthy post, pick out a tiny part of that lengthy post (ignoring all other points) and respond to that.
And when you do respond to that tiny part, you don't even put up a good argument for it.
The end result is a waste of yours and the reader's time.

Like the post said, just because you read something. It doesn't mean you have to respond to it. By all means do respond if you have something to say but if you are just going to waste people's time then keep it moving. Look for a post that will inspire you to respond informatively, dare I say with passion.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Emmanuel, I think you mean well but many times the posts that you see for replies are short because the poster does not feel that it is worth their effort or time to explain what seems obvious. Perhaps the problem is that what seems obvious for one CC member may not seem that way for you or others. Try to prompt more in your original post to point out what you are looking for in explanations. Some theories about ICM-based decision making or EV for example are applied so frequently that posters may blurt them out expecting you to know what they are based on. Prompt for specifics in OP and you may get better results. Reading short responses is still educational as it will give you insight into any particular player's strategy, no matter how shallow or small, so these posters should not be discouraged by deleting their posts. Good luck.

kaktyc

kaktyc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many participants are not English speaking. The interpreter does not quite work correctly. Sometimes Google translator displays written text beyond recognition. Therefore, the article may be translated incorrectly and will be incomprehensible. Many strategies of the game are described in various books. One of them you pointed out yourself. It makes no sense to rewrite the methods of play of the authors of these books.

TheMuffier

TheMuffier

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many participants are not English speaking. The interpreter does not quite work correctly. Sometimes Google translator displays written text beyond recognition. Therefore, the article may be translated incorrectly and will be incomprehensible. Many strategies of the game are described in various books. One of them you pointed out yourself. It makes no sense to rewrite the methods of play of the authors of these books.
:)

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are several reasons leading to this situation. One of it are people who want to make big amount of posts as fast as possible and get access to the freerolls so they just reply to everything. Moderators here are cleaning such posts quickly but there is constant flow of new users so this can not be completely eliminated. Another reason is that many people today think that it is good to have opinion for everything and share it with everybody no matter if they know something about the topic or not (this is mostly caused by the social networks influence in my opinion). Third reason is the language barrier as already mentioned. Fourth is the fact that when you are old time user and you have explained basic concept 100 times you may not want to do that for 101 time so you reply quickly letting the OP to find out the details himself.

Saying all of this i should add that i am old user of different hobby forums and i have seen much worse forms of all this in other places. The best thing as you have already seen is to just try your posts to be helpful and ignore the non informative answers when you ask a question.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Newcomers try to increase their post number in order to take the FRC access and then they maintain an activity by posting only ''Good Luck'' and all that stuff if they just want to play the freerolls.

There are others who truly want to help and get helped by better players or from a pro's opinion etc.They log in almost everyday and they write endless posts simply because they like this interaction.

I totally agree with your statement, if you have nothing contributing to write just read the other's posts and move to the next topic , someone else may have a better answer than you.

Yesterday I reported a guy you literally copied / pasted a line from a post of mine. He didn't even change a word. Mods deleted his one line answer it was funny though at some degree,right?

After all is it is a forum environment and it is like our society in a smaller scale , don't expect everyone to ''follow'' the rules.

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very well placed my friend. I think that for you to answer a question, you first need to understand what you are talking about, if you identify with that cause, and third to give a constructive option to really can help those who have doubts. Posting just for posting will not help the evolution of those who are starting and who usually has many doubts! Beautiful post! :):):):)