Break of writing about poker

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will take a break, and stop momentarily of write about poker, because I received some bad replies which has a bad impact on my psychology.
I remind you again that I shared with you all my convictions about the right way to play poker, just because I like to share my knowlage either in poker or in chess or any in other fields.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If other people's answers have a bad effect on your psyche, then this is a really big problem. If you cannot control your emotions, then you will not be able to become a successful player.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I will take a break, and stop momentarily of write about poker, because I received some bad replies which has a bad impact on my psychology.
I remind you again that I shared with you all my convictions about the right way to play poker, just because I like to share my knowledge either in poker or in chess or any in other fields.
Hello there, i see that you are kinda new at CC and i can say that I've been there. When i started to share my experience about poker with the world and what are my convincing about right way to play poker in generally, replies were coming and i got that strange feeling that i know almost nothing about poker. I was a newbie at forum but not in the game itself. It kinda shook my world. Later on i realized that there are different approaches when it comes to this game and there is no correct answer or right formula how a particular hand should be played because very often all variables are not included. So a piece of advice, don't take it all personally, being here at forum is all about sharing experiences that go both ways

M

mtmigmike

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is possible to listen to the advice of other people, but the person has to make decisions himself so that then not to blame anyone for the wrong decision.

blanktheman

blanktheman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can you give us a link to your writings? I for one would love to read it. I won't comment anything bad so you don't have to worry. Unfortunately this is the internet and you will get people who write bad things. People tend to hide behind fake names and they think it gives them a right to post terrible things and be judgemental.

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For what its worth,,,i like KQs too. :rolleyes:

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remind you again that I shared with you all my convictions about the right way to play poker, just because I like to share my knowlage either in poker or in chess or any in other fields.

All things in life are subject to interpretation, and in order to achieve one conclusion or another one uses both objective and subjective rationales. In your case some negative comments had a significant impact on you, psychologically. That is a subjective thing. Objectively, however, I noticed that you made a total of 77 posts and received 32 likes, which may as well be the highest like/post ratio on cardschat, from what I had seen during my limited forum presence. So looking from a neutral position, I would say that quitting posting in your situation would not be good for either yourself or the cardschat community, it would only give satisfaction to a few forum bullies.

Last edited:
BoyNamedSude

BoyNamedSude

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bread Recipe

Bruh... I took two years Holiday after my first exposure to this forum... I got shaken too... and I had to think long and hard, and start to do internal and external checks on my playing habits, patterns, and theoretics... because i had never exposed that to public scrutiny...
But after I did all that, I realized, that most folks don't know SHIT about poker... and the ones that do, often never tell them exactly why their playing is shitty...
CONSIDER YOURSELF TOLD...Time to Man-Up!
In the meanwhile, perhaps you could share a bread recipe?:D

Last edited:
N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think much of what I want to say has already been said, but I will say this. I've been reading many of your posts, and I think that part of the issue is that your posts have been writing about what you think is "the right way" to play poker, and as others have said... it's a subjective thing that takes into account your personality, fears, preferences. We aren't robots.

So any time you write something authoritative or an air of expertise as saying "this it the right way of playing poker", it will inevitably rub people the wrong way. If it's written from the perspective of "this has been something that has worked for me", then it acknowledges subjectivity and would have a smaller likelihood of rubbing your readers the wrong way.

The other thing I'll say is this: I've found that the posters that I have admired the most and the ones that I have found the most useful have been the ones that apply their thought processes to requests for hand analysis. It's a demonstration of "how to think" rather than "what to think about". It can often give you a glimpse into the mindset of a winning poker player. I've found that the dialogue in the "hand analysis" section of the website to be most helpful in my development as a poker player.

I think your posts, while having some truth to it, have been too general to be really helpful and to be honest and is still in the realm of "what to think" rather than "how to think". Better versions of what you've written are available on websites elsewhere, written by people who have a documented track record of success and profitability (which you have not yet demonstrated in here -- it's not to say you haven't been profitable... it's just answering the question "what gives you the right to speak to me as an expert?

I want to encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts and opinions because I do believe you have a lot of wisdom to share based on your lengthy history as a poker player. Share some hand histories as examples of principles you want to illustrate, and it'll add more meat to your posts. I'll just suggest that you avoid writing as an expert, and I think you will steer clear of some landmines. And yes, there are still jerks out there -- for that... just ignore them. They are called "trolls" and you can just file them in the "idiot" folder and toss it away upon reading... do not take their comments personally.

All the best to you.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You are right! It is the best thing you can do. But come back earlier as short as possible and come back stronger. That moment you are living is hard to share so you are sharing. I believe, you"ll be ok.

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never said "this it the right way of playing poker" ! I always say "My opinion is...)

I think much of what I want to say has already been said, but I will say this. I've been reading many of your posts, and I think that part of the issue is that your posts have been writing about what you think is "the right way" to play poker, and as others have said... it's a subjective thing that takes into account your personality, fears, preferences. We aren't robots.

So any time you write something authoritative or an air of expertise as saying "this it the right way of playing poker", it will inevitably rub people the wrong way. If it's written from the perspective of "this has been something that has worked for me", then it acknowledges subjectivity and would have a smaller likelihood of rubbing your readers the wrong way.

The other thing I'll say is this: I've found that the posters that I have admired the most and the ones that I have found the most useful have been the ones that apply their thought processes to requests for hand analysis. It's a demonstration of "how to think" rather than "what to think about". It can often give you a glimpse into the mindset of a winning poker player. I've found that the dialogue in the "hand analysis" section of the website to be most helpful in my development as a poker player.

I think your posts, while having some truth to it, have been too general to be really helpful and to be honest and is still in the realm of "what to think" rather than "how to think". Better versions of what you've written are available on websites elsewhere, written by people who have a documented track record of success and profitability (which you have not yet demonstrated in here -- it's not to say you haven't been profitable... it's just answering the question "what gives you the right to speak to me as an expert?

I want to encourage you to continue sharing your thoughts and opinions because I do believe you have a lot of wisdom to share based on your lengthy history as a poker player. Share some hand histories as examples of principles you want to illustrate, and it'll add more meat to your posts. I'll just suggest that you avoid writing as an expert, and I think you will steer clear of some landmines. And yes, there are still jerks out there -- for that... just ignore them. They are called "trolls" and you can just file them in the "idiot" folder and toss it away upon reading... do not take their comments personally.

All the best to you.

B

badia232323

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks to all of you dear friends.
I want just to tell you again that I don't say that my strategies are the best, I know everything is subjective in this life. The proof is until now I've post at least two posts specially to clarify that my threads represent my own strategy.
Some people think that you need to have a WPT or WSOP bracelet if you want to talk about poker strategies! I want to say to them: If you want to improve, you have to accept different opinions from different people.

dgellitson

dgellitson

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks to all of you dear friends.
I want just to tell you again that I don't say that my strategies are the best, I know everything is subjective in this life. The proof is until now I've post at least two posts specially to clarify that my threads represent my own strategy.
Some people think that you need to have a WPT or WSOP bracelet if you want to talk about poker strategies! I want to say to them: If you want to improve, you have to accept different opinions from different people.
I couldn't agree more, well said. Just ignore any criticism if it isn't constructive. A lot of people here really over evaluate their poker skills.

IDrunkUSober

IDrunkUSober

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I couldn't agree more, well said. Just ignore any criticism if it isn't constructive. A lot of people here really over evaluate their poker skills.
I definitely under-value my poker skills. I think I'm good but not great. I actually logged back on to this site after a multiple year hiatus to hopefully gain some new strategic insight that I can use in my game. Fortunately, I'll be asking a lot of questions whether than providing too many answers. I hope I won't get shot down by too many veteran players.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes, a break can be very rewarding, not only for you but also for others. Even if it is a break from writing tips for improving the game.

Techniquez

Techniquez

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't why ppl gotta write about poker anyway, the games to be played not so much reported lol

N

nameless1537

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OP, I just want you to know that I am trying to offer constructive and encouraging feedback, especially in light of what you wrote in the OP about the impact of negative comments on your psychology. My response was meant to be helpful, and I apologize for putting you on the defensive. That said, I want to address what you wrote in response to my post:

I never said "this it the right way of playing poker" ! I always say "My opinion is...)
So there is a bit of a hybrid of what we are both saying here. You actually did state that it is your conviction on the right way to play poker -- so it's an opinion about the right way to play poker. This... is the issue though. Whenever you come in with the attitude of "I think this is the right way to play poker", the ensuing moves can be easily mapped to a poker equivalent. In poker, much of it is about trying to convince others that you have (or will have) the best hand and each re-raise is basically issuing a challenge saying "no... I think I will have the best hand after all of the cards are down."

In the forum posts, if you post with a conviction that you have "the right way to play poker", then you have to expect some pushback... an equivalent of a poker re-raise. And as in poker, you cannot allow those challenges affect you psychologically -- and if it does, you need to take a break to regain your psychology (which is what you are doing in these forums).

The truth is... you can avoid all of that by softening the tone of your posts. To shift from "the right way" (implication is: only 1 right way to play) to "a profitable approach" (implication is: there are many ways to be profitable) moves the needle a bit. The former implies more arrogance and the latter implies more humility.

On my part, I've actually read each of your recent threads. Based on my observation, I've only seen you post to start a thread about a poker topic or you've responded to a comment on your thread. I have not yet seen you post a response to a thread that someone else has started -- but just because I haven't seen it, it doesn't mean it does not exist. That said, my guess is that over 90% of your posts are in the threads you've started. And the tone of the posts are somewhat like this:

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/how-read-your-opponents-438431/
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/good-strategy-limping-not-438592/
https://www.cardschat.com/forum/tournament-poker-59/things-you-never-have-do-in-439236/

If you look at each of these OP, you'll note that the tone that comes across is "I'm a poker expert, and I will tell you how to play correctly" even if you never stated it or meant it. There are ways to change the wording of the posts to soften that image, while still getting the points across... but I'm not going to get into it here -- that is a subject for a much larger matter. Just note the psychological impact of that kind of tone on your readers. It's the classic "it's not what you said, but how you said it" stuff. Often times (and unfortunately), the figurative baby gets thrown out with the bathwater if the tone is experienced as somewhat offensive by the readers.

I'll end my post with this: I really appreciate the intent with which you've written your posts -- the desire to contribute to this community and help others by sharing the knowledge that you have gained from playing poker. I will simply say that there is more than one way to be helpful to a community (and I've written about some of them in my earlier post).

All the best to you. Cheers.

Last edited:
theRaven68

theRaven68

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is the best thing you can do if you cannot control your emotions, then you will not be able to be a successful poker player

L

lontrus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best way to protect yourself from people's emotional reactions to your convictions is to offer your lessons as "recommendations", "opinions", "suggestions" and "perspectives".

No one likes being told they're wrong. Apparently you couldn't handle it either.

Be tactful and choose your words carefully, there's a time and a place for battle.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That's the awesome thing about this website though! Everyone is different and has a different playing style. Some are aggressive and some are more passive. Some listen to music and some don't. Some drink at the table and some don't. Some play tournaments and some play cash and some do both. There's different strategies for everything and everyone has opinions to help you think about the game a different way. It's up to us to utilize the advice and opinions to help shape our own game to make us the best we can be. If you feel like the forums aren't helping and you're blaming it, then poker may not be the game for you. There are so many different things that can cause tilt, and blaming this just seems more of a personal issue. We always do hope for the best and we will do the same for you. Once you can come in with a clear mind it may work better for you, and we'll be hear to help and answer questions.