Best way to grow a $150 bankroll

W

wagnert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just wondering your guys thoughts on this: I've been playing off and on, on bovada. Right now I have about $150 in my account. I've never been consistantly profitable with cash games but have been able to hold my own with sit and goes and mtts. Which one of these would you guys suggest and what stakes?

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There isn't a single answer that applies to everyone. Different people's personalities and styles are better suited to different games. Plus win rate isn't everything, The smaller the difference, the less weight it has in deciding what to play. And there's also the matter of how much you prefer a particular game type vs another, and for me at least, my preferences aren't set in stone. I usually prefer MTTs, but there are times I'm in the mood for something else.

bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On Bovada they run satellite tournaments with like 5 or 3 guaranteed tickets.

Somthing close to this

$1 -> 5T
$2 -> 10T
$3 -> 20T
$4 -> 30T
$5 -> 40T
$6 -> 50T

Win some tickets into the bigger MTT tournaments and hit one of thoughs and you will have a great bankroll.

If you like really big long MTTs go for the ten dollar ticket and hit up there 8K guaranteed on Sunday afternoon starts about the same time as the 100k they have.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT's are a ****er for your BR. You can go a long time without a big cash if you dont play tonnes of them.

otari

otari

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just keep grinding it out, brother. If it were easy everybody'd be rich.

Daniel72

Daniel72

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats right, every 200th or 300th MTT you will have a bigger score, and only if you are good or have luck :)
Satellites have less variance (the 1st gets the same like the 17th place for instance) and are a good way for bankroll building. Also sng´s with players up to 45man.

M

MIShroomer47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just keep grinding it out, brother. If it were easy everybody'd be rich.

totally true. gotta keep keepin on. If you feel that you perform better with tournys then stick to those. The satellite is totally an awesome thing, as an above poster mentioned. If you satellite to a bigger event and cash, your ROI is way better #1, and your risk is minimal. Just remember bankroll management is key to building a roll, big risks will probably not pay off in the long run

W

wagnert

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the advice guys. Just got 2nd in a $2 rebuy mtt for $77.60. I will try some satellites next. The benefits of these sound huge. I was able to win the Sunday night football tournament two weeks ago. It has an added entry to the 100k for the winner. Did not cash in the 100k though.

domeburglar

domeburglar

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea all depends on your style... i like cash games just grinding it out.. americas card room gave me $5 for no reason i guess to just get me to start playing there.. i have it up to $20 in 3 days gunna hope i dont have a bad downswing early and try to build it up

N

ndirish620

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm waiting for the december private football tournement for placing top five in one of those tournaments. Bovada has done a good job at adding value to playing at the tables. we cash bonuses and extra entries. I like the 7500 freeroll one as well. They're easy to get into. One time I played in a tournament where top 15 got tickets an only 14 showed up so I only lost 200pts for a ticket.

J

JamMastaJT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To grow my original bankroll I did $1.5 double up SnGs. I could double up an average of a little less then 3/4 the time. So it was really nice to do. Now I have moved onto PLO MTTs and I am loving it more then HE when I started.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would play sit'gos since you said that cash games are not your game, also, sit'gos is the safest way to build a poker bankroll.

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
win more than lose lol................couldent help myself. but on a serious note play whatever you feel more confident playing and put alot of grinding and time in :) me i rather play 6 handed holdem or omaha cash tables i make more doing that then playing mtts or sng's , but everyone is different. so find what ya good at and stick to it

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good advice here. I prefer the Double Ups, Triple Ups and the Super Turbos.

But, after what's been said, I may start playing some of their satellites as mentioned ... less variance should be best for a bank roll building, I'd think.

Best way to build the BR is to "not lose" ... seriously, focus on 'not losing' more and the winning 'less'.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thought I'd try a Satellite

$20 ticket results....can I play this anytime or is it perishable? :boxing:

Attachments

• BO Sat.JPG
    BO Sat.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 68
C

credsfan03

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I were you I would play mtt. The reason for this is you can win a lot more. You should not loose that much in mtt if you are using good br management and if you are a good poker player.

F

Fanch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that ticket should be good for 90 days bullish.

My advice to you wagnert would be .02/.05 cash games $3 sngs up to $5 sngs and some $5 mtts . Best wishes!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

PoopFlinger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$2 bi's for mtts
$5 sngs
5nl for cash games (one you hit $200 or so, give 10nl a try)

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Picking your game.

I like the double, triple or quad ups. Be patient and you can build your bankroll very quickly.
ScottieDuncan:eating:

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
u may grow bankroll by SNG
60 buy in, up grade and down grade.

or play HU SNG. but needs to be at least 40-45.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management