Liedust

Liedust

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
We all play hands sometimes that we know we shouldn't. What are some of the excuses you make for doing this?
My excuse would be this ...... I call with 4 10 off, because my daughter was born on April 10.
Whats yours? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My excuse would be this ...... I call with 4 10 off, because my daughter was born on April 10.
Whats yours.....:confused:

My excuse is to have a hand that is difficult for my opponent to put me on.

And - if I do hit with my hand I am trying to felt my opponent.

Or - at least get the most chips possible!

Don't just play garbage - play it to the hilt!! LOL

Good luck !

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The shrooms have just kicked in. :vollkomme

Cheers!

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got a 4X bet then a call and a call this is when I like to play hands like 57 or 68 and low pairs because I feel the other 3 are probably playing big cards and with the right flop I may make some chips. Now to do this I have to have a good stack because if you lose a couple of these it can be very costly. Its best to do this when you have tight players too.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have 2 excuses for staying with marginal holdings.

Tilt.

Alcohol.

Of course, as has been alluded to above, in a multi-way pot, in LP with callers in front, a call with ordinary crap can be worth a shot. Some post-flop skills would also be nice to have then as well.

J

Jonb0324

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was on the button and in position. It was 3 to 1 on my money.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have 2 excuses for staying with marginal holdings.

Tilt.

Alcohol.

Of course, as has been alluded to above, in a multi-way pot, in LP with callers in front, a call with ordinary crap can be worth a shot. Some post-flop skills would also be nice to have then as well.

I also should mention I play micros, marginal holdings should almost always just be tossed. If I do stay, as I said, alcohol, tilt, or a multiway pot with crap that will now and then net me a huge pot.

But for the most part,

just toss em....

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a weird attachment for my Magic The Gathering hands...

3/5 - Juggernaught
9/3 - Yargle

I still throw 'em away, but I still think twice about making a play!

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whats yours.....:confused:

T4o is not a marginal hand. This is a poor hand. I am rarely playing or defending these or looking for any reason to.

I consider marginal hands your suited connectors and gappers and your offsuit connectors 78 and above. I will play them multi way for min raises from the blinds and multi way on the button.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe your favorite hand is a marginal one and then you play whole time you are deal in..or maybe for balancing ranges

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I say because I won several times with these cards

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all play hands sometimes that we know we shouldn't. What are some of the excuses you make for doing this?
Good reason, I am not sentimental so my only excuse to call would be a really short stack or a really big stack and I was calling an all-in.

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me the day I am settled everything I play until 74 I seem a little if I am playing a tournament and I win a big stack even with any hand

R

Ricardo_lhp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not invent excuses, I already have a range in mind and I open it from each position because I know it is profitable to play with a certain hand, then depending on the table I open a little more or a little less, it depends a lot on the passivity or the aggressiveness of the players , but this hand that you mentioned for example I would not play it from any position, maybe only from SB but against a BB that folds too much, then I would limp and bet on any board, or open 3.5x to steal the blinds.

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Youve got to make your own hands when your dead, Like ive heard if you successful steal some blinds and maybe an OR. its equivalent of being delt KK. KK appox 5bbs

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes when I’m without patience to play, I play with small pairs thinking that if it’s my day to win, I’m going to have luck and win with the underdog hand :)

T

terry5758

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a valid excuse I do it because I don't know any better
actually nothing more than boredom I think

T

terry5758

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes when I’m without patience to play, I play with small pairs thinking that if it’s my day to win, I’m going to have luck and win with the underdog hand :)
Small pairs are great hands as long as you get rid of when you should

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Small pairs are great hands as long as you get rid of when you should

Yeah I know, but when I’m without patience I play those cards when I obviously shouldn’t.

CheezeWiz

CheezeWiz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting

I have never thought of playing the kids birth dates a the poker table (roulette, always). Hmmm... 3/10 not really liking it... 6/13 ... not liking 6 K either .... no wonder I have never thought of this.

Oh well, if only my kids had been born on Jan 1, I might support them more often at the table!

Best of Luck All,

CheezeWiz

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When I've got a huge stack + Position + Cheap call;
bluffing.

“Just play every hand, you can’t miss them all.”
– Sammy Farha

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The vast majority of times I play a marginal hand is because it is on a free and I'm tired and that's the excuse "it's a free"

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands