Best advice ever

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has this happened to anyone else? Some time ago, I found and really implemented TWO SENTENCES from a poker book, and saw my game improve drastically.

They were from Dan Harrington (I don't recall which book, exactly).

"Poker isn't really a card game. It's a game of wagering that uses cards to create the situations"

When I did that, I changed from focusing on the cards, to focusing on betting amounts and patterns. Big jump in skill level.

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes of course you learn you develop, so the more you read, the smarter, more information about poker from professionals, how to play and how not to,and you will be above many.Yes, read, learn, experiment, develop. I have a Soul! Good luck!

sharipov8090

sharipov8090

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What you describe really helps, also help tips from other experienced players, poker is still not studied the book and what else awaits us in this mysterious game.

Erpherk

Erpherk

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never read a poker book but i do agree with that quote. A little information can go a long way depending on how we as players intake the information. Here is 1 of my personal favorite pieces of advice "you don't have to get involved". Just because you have like AQ or AJ 99 and there is a 3 bet ahead of you. You don't have to play the hand unless your short stacked. No shame in folding sometimes.

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Thats a different way of looking at it. True the two hole cards should tell how much you bet. Then does the flop help. Is it a dry flop or wet flop and did you hit a card. Leaving turn river to probability.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Has this happened to anyone else? Some time ago, I found and really implemented TWO SENTENCES from a poker book, and saw my game improve drastically.

They were from Dan Harrington (I don't recall which book, exactly).

"Poker isn't really a card game. It's a game of wagering that uses cards to create the situations"

When I did that, I changed from focusing on the cards, to focusing on betting amounts and patterns. Big jump in skill level.

Hi,
This book is one of his 'Harrington on Holdem' volumes I, II, III.
He gives us plenty of very valuable advises.
That all make sense.
These are very good too!

Inequitas

Inequitas

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

focusing on betting amounts and patterns. Big jump in skill level.

Nice I'll Think About it in that Way...

A Long Time ago I played on a table with some one who was as chatty as me, we got on well and had a laugh, great session where i wasn't thinking about the cards as much as the betting frequencies and amounts... It Helped I had a great run of luck that day also...

One thing He said after I'd asked why aren't i getting value when betting all in all of the time.... he said "Shhhh. Don't Scare the Fish", "You're like banging on the fish tank to loud" I realize over the years that his words of advice can be interpreted in so many ways...

Over the Years I've seen how after the flop with the nuts, a flat call after the turn will 80% of the time result in the opponent paying much more in than had I tried increasing the Pot by dragging them in... It's Paid Out Over the Years...

Also I imagine the "Knock Knock" Sound on a flat call with no bet as a signal like a fish on the line and the reel ticking out... but both those ideas are conflicting, lol...

Great Thread!!

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
This book is one of his 'Harrington on Holdem' volumes I, II, III.
He gives us plenty of very valuable advises.
That all make sense.
These are very good too!

You don't have to sell ME. Those three books are the BIBLE on NLHE tourneys. No other book has even come close.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course your game improves with studies at least my improved and continue improving every day bad if someone has study tips and books can passsa the more studies better

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You don't have to sell ME. Those three books are the BIBLE on NLHE tourneys. No other book has even come close.

Hi,

I do not sell books. If you really meant this.

Best of Luck.

A

AceKing725

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I do not sell books. If you really meant this.

Best of Luck.

NONONONO. I meant "you don't have to sell me on how good those books are". I DEFINITELY already have copies. That's a figure of speech. It refers to buying an IDEA, not necessarily an actual monetary transaction.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
NONONONO. I meant "you don't have to sell me on how good those books are". I DEFINITELY already have copies. That's a figure of speech. It refers to buying an IDEA, not necessarily an actual monetary transaction.
Ok brow
Sorry I misunderstood.
Good readings,:captain:
Best of Luck

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I have not read books about poker, if you say it adds value I can read in the future ... until then I learn from my own mistakes during the game.

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would advise players to have patience for the game, try to wait, and it would be better for them to learn poker well and read poker books
-- learns and learns again to achieve great results in the game

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes indeed you have to find the right spot to bet and improve these chances of winning poker and not just focus on the strength of your cards. Online betting is one of the few ways to gauge the strength of your opponents' hands.

V

vhung1111

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have never read a poker book but i do agree with that quote. A little information can go a long way depending on how we as players intake the information. Here is 1 of my personal favorite pieces of advice "you don't have to get involved". Just because you have like AQ or AJ 99 and there is a 3 bet ahead of you. You don't have to play the hand unless your short stacked. No shame in folding sometimes.

This 100%... even tho I need. refresher course, position is something I still remember from my first foray pre Black Friday.

D

don1980

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dan Harrington one of my favorite players.

57noona

57noona

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
That is good advice. His books are a must read if you are going to play Tournaments in my opinion. Hope this helps everyone who has read your post.

ganbat

ganbat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A great advice. Not literally it's not card game, but meaning is you need to focus on how much you bet, rather than which pocket hands you got.

mitroff

mitroff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We can not change the hand we are dealt, we can only change the way we play it. I do not remember whose quote unfortunately. Maybe someone knows?

J

jekan85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I THINK THAT PRACTICE AND SUCCESS IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN ALL, AND BOOKS AND COUNCIL IF HELP THAT ONLY 10%

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hello.
I am convinced that the best advice for a poker player is to always be patient.

N

neptun1914

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not remember where i read it but i liked following:

When you take decision on the table you should consider 4 things - your cards, your position, betting before you and stack sizes. Cards are not the most important of these unlike many people think.

Serbianbeauty

Serbianbeauty

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've read that quote also recently somewhere online and try to think about that when I play, but have to work not to focus too much on cards. I see more by actually playing than just reading how position, how others are betting, patterns etc matter a lot and how much they matter.