The beginning of the tournaments.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a lot of players start the tournaments by being careful and patient until they have a good hand and then they are left the tournament against an aggressive player who follows all the hands at the same time there are players who start the tournaments by being aggressive then they become cautious which is much better in my opinion because in all the table there is amateur who throws all in having an AS or a K, and I think it is necessary to take advantage of these players at the beginning and increase the chips then play with more comfort and analyze the opponents

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Each player chooses the strategy that suits him best.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're risking your own tournament life and many more by thinking that.
If you're sitting with pockets 8's and plan on calling off someone who you believe has AK, it's still an incorrect call. You have a bit more equity but its still a coin flip.
You don't need to be taking 50-50 spots so early on if so many people are already doing that on their own and thinning the field out.
Yes you need to be looking for spots to build your stack, but there's value in being patient and staying alive in the tournament as long as possible.
There's so many other spots to take to stack up in MTTs than risk your tournaent life by widening your calling shove range, cuz you believe villain may have A5 as you said.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're risking your own tournament life and many more by thinking that.
If you're sitting with pockets 8's and plan on calling off someone who you believe has AK, it's still an incorrect call. You have a bit more equity but its still a coin flip.
You don't need to be taking 50-50 spots so early on if so many people are already doing that on their own and thinning the field out.
Yes you need to be looking for spots to build your stack, but there's value in being patient and staying alive in the tournament as long as possible.
There's so many other spots to take to stack up in MTTs than risk your tournaent life by widening your calling shove range, cuz you believe villain may have A5 as you said.

obviously you have to be smart and patient but many players miss flops in their favor while waiting for strong hand the idea is to have chips that allow the most to see the flop and being aggressive in the tournament does not mean following any shot but with a strong hand it is necessary to take advantage of it so that after enjoying the bad hand;)

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you just have to be aware of what kinds of opponents you are up against. Sometimes I come out firing and other times I am waiting for good hands. If you are in profitable situations then definitely fire away. But a lot of times you'll get in multiway pot situations where your equity is substantially reduced. If you chase someone's seemingly bad hand that can get pretty expensive despite starting out cheap preflop.

Bluffzone68

Bluffzone68

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BZ
Chips
Hi
According to me there is no set guaranteed strategy to play a tournament.

You play with an open mind, lot of patience and play right.
Depending on table position and opponents stack, play with the flow.

After you play leave the rest to the poker gods :)

Same thought process through out the game.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see a lot of players start the tournaments by being careful and patient until they have a good hand and then they are left the tournament against an aggressive player who follows all the hands at the same time there are players who start the tournaments by being aggressive then they become cautious which is much better in my opinion because in all the table there is amateur who throws all in having an AS or a K, and I think it is necessary to take advantage of these players at the beginning and increase the chips then play with more comfort and analyze the opponents
I don't know if it answers your question but I usually see as many flops as reasonable when the blinds are small to start building. When the blinds increase I like to adjust my play as my stack deems necessary. Whether that be being more aggressive or patient.

grumblbrumbl

grumblbrumbl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To say is easy but do is difficult. Some people don't want to leave the tournament early. They want to sit longer, suddenly give AA. In General, you have to stick to your game and do not regret anything.

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
obviously you have to be smart and patient but many players miss flops in their favor while waiting for strong hand the idea is to have chips that allow the most to see the flop and being aggressive in the tournament does not mean following any shot but with a strong hand it is necessary to take advantage of it so that after enjoying the bad hand;)

Oh i understand. Yes that is correct and it's standard to seize those opportunities. For some odd reason, I thought you meant you must widen your calling shove range since they'll have hands like A5 when you clearly didn't say lol

As for your initial post, I agree that it depends on the players at your table as many people already said:)

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that at the beginning of the tournament there is no reason to bet on bad hands, except if there is opportunity, you are in position no one bet before you. It is best to wait for the best spots, not necessarily the best hands.

jkgotsit

jkgotsit

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MTT

If its not broken don't fix it! That my motto. I also would add that I also show my hole cards on purpose in some situation 1 example is I will show a bluff in order to get a player to tilt.

hachile1

hachile1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each player chooses the strategy that suits him best.

oh yes I do not say the opposite but listen to the opinion of others allows you to get rich and develloper after everyone is free to draw good lessons or not :)

TheniT

TheniT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The beginning must be cautious even, must play with strong hands and try to play in position with speculative hands.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I think you adjust your play depending on the opponents. If your at a table where you have 3 or 4 people all in preflop on every hand, the you can be patient. If you just have a bunch of people playing aggressive, it's ok to match their aggression. That's what the best players do. But, you need to keep in mind your position, you should have a tighter range when coming in early and a wider range coming in late. We all see the same things you... people who want to jam the pot with 52s in hopes of a quick double up or two...some of them are successful and build pretty decent stacks early in a tournament. But that's a good thinf, because these are the same people who you can pick on as the tournament wears on, they either donk off their chips by continuing to play the same style or they go into protect mode and become folding machines to protect their stacks.

I stay out of multi-player all-in pots early in a tournament (and generally throughout a tournament unless I am really super strong. For example, I was in a freeroll on ACR tonight. It was the late middle stages of the tournament and I was 2nd in chips. I was UTG with QQ. I pot-sized raised and expected folds all around because of my table image, but, I was not surprised when an Ax player pushed all in. My read on him was that he had a medium ace (turned out to be A7) and I was prepared to call him because his stack size was just around the tourney average. But, then the button, who was also a fairly loose player with a much bigger stack, re-raised all in. I thought he was on a strong ace or medium pocket pair and was wanting to get me off of my hand (he had AQ). I was prepared to play both of these players because of the reads I had on them and I thought if they both had aces, that would only leave two, and even if one had a smaller pocket pair, that would still only leave me sweating 5 cards. Low and behold, the BB moved all in (she barely had the button covered). This player was a rock, in my gut I knew that the only way this player makes that play is with aces or kings...and I wasn't certain about kings, I felt it was aces and I folded my QQ. I was absolutely right, and the aces held up (and I would not have caught a set to felt him/her...that would come later because I went on to win). The point of this is to tell you, that you have to play aggressive, but you also have to play with discipline. There are not a lot of players that could lay down those queens, and I might not have if I hasn't been analyzing the other players ... and even though I did lay it down, there was a part of me that didn't want too. There were a few times earlier in the tournament that I did the same thing (I'm writing a post about it, so check it out) with other smaller pocket pairs, and it seemed like every time I folded a pocket pair when there were two, three or more (yep,it happened) players in a hand (playing all kinds of random stuff), I would have hit a set and felted all of them. It drives me crazy when that happens, but I know I was playing disciplined poker because I also could have been busted on any one of those hands: Instead, I built my stack by taking advantage of better situations. I am not going to do the math for you, but the more people that are in a pot, your odds of winning the pot drop significantly.

Keep playing aggressive, but play smart too.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on what stakes you play. On micros where i play i find that tight agressive game fit well for mei early stage. When blinds are up i start to add some other ranges to my play

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm starting the game carefully. Yesterday in the game I didn't have a good card in the next 28 minutes. Then slightly increased the stack. I have AJ and do a 4-bet, all players discarded cards except one member. He goes all-in. I answered. Opponent has 36, flop gives him a 3, on the river was opened the 6. All described strategies in many articles did not work. What the hell? Stars present crazy surprises.

5pAce_C0wb0y

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm starting the game carefully. Yesterday in the game I didn't have a good card in the next 28 minutes. Then slightly increased the stack. I have AJ and do a 4-bet, all players discarded cards except one member. He goes all-in. I answered. Opponent has 36, flop gives him a 3, on the river was opened the 6. All described strategies in many articles did not work. What the hell? Stars present crazy surprises.
That's just the way it goes sometimes. The important thing is to review hand histories to make sure you played correctly. If you have forget about the bad beats nothing you can do about them, if you find a flaw in your game fix it and move on.

CTAPYXA

CTAPYXA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just the way it goes sometimes. The important thing is to review hand histories to make sure you played correctly. If you have forget about the bad beats nothing you can do about them, if you find a flaw in your game fix it and move on.
I watched this opponent during the game and noticed that he plays with weak cards. And he was always lucky. He killed me with his stupid game. I have no choice but to further improve my game.

M

Monkeyfart1217

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play tag in the beginning and loosen up as I get further into the tourney.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
I usually always start playing aggressive and I look for some fish to steal their chips.

It is normal to meet several sharks once the bubble arrives and it is better to have as many chips as possible to intelligently play your best hands.

N

NotNegreanu

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get Those Reads On

I am one of the players that plays cautiously at the beginning of a tournament and find it very easy to punish those players IF YOU KNOW THEY ARE DOING IT. For example if you're in a turbo and you see someone go all in with K2 off suite and they win so you see their hand they will probably do it again with any Ax or Kx or QJ, so if I have a good Ax or pocket pairs ill happily call them, but once again only if you have the read on them.

plastilin898

plastilin898

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always play aggressively at the beginning of the tournament, in the middle of the tournament I play more carefully

foran

foran

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very well, you have to have patience