Bankroll for Single Table SnG's

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What do you think is an appropriate buy in for single table Sit N Go's? would you say that 30 buy ins is appropriate? i just wnt to know because i took a slight hit in my bankroll from $106 down to $89(started at $20), just from MTT (i feel its worth playing now and again for the chance of a turbo booter) but i generally use BRM, i however dont want to drop back down to playing $1 SnG's becuse quite frankly there depressing. i therefoe want to be playing the $3.40 ones so at least if i play and win im getting something back worth having.

Any thoughts?

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
30 buy in's sounds quite aggressive, especially if your playing 9/10 seaters. 25-30 isn't out of the question, but one bad down-swing can see you broke.
How did you make your original $20 into $100+? If the answer is by grinding the low SnG's, then i'd say try the $3 games by all means. Looks like you've found the style that works for you at low stakes.
If you simply had a good run in an MTT and won a nice sum (a turbo booster as you put it) then I'd have to advise you to start bit lower. Even if its only hitting the $1 'double or nothing' games till your back over the $100 mark.
Obv the odd's of cashing an MTT drop significantly, as you've found out! I wouldn't advise by in's over a dollar there for you at the moment.
Check out the 27 and 45 seat $1 SnG's on Stars, these combine a sit n go style in a Multi table format and can pay well. Sounds like these games could suit your play.

Sharesol

Sharesol

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with kevkojak, I know the $1's are depressing but you have to take emotion out of the game and make the smart decisions. slower is safer.

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I first started playing, it was sngs. someone suggest a brm for those on here, so i followed it, and built my br up:
when you have 20 times your current buy-in, plus one times the next one up, then you move up, if you havent you stay where you are till you have, ie, 20 times $1.20(buy-in plus rake) plus 1 times $2.40 equals $26.40, so if you have $26.40 or above then you move to the $2 sngs, and so on. Hope that's easy to understand?

B

Brann6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're fairly decent at SNGs and MTTs (which it sounds like you are) then I'd try the $1 45-runners. Even third pays $7 and they're no tougher to beat than the single-table games.

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol, I think I follow that. Sounds like a pretty safe rule. Your looking at close to 25 BI there then, which is what I considered aggressive BRM but I'm probably wrong.
My only concern was which levels were played previously. If OP has built up his roll from micro SnG's, i'd jump at the $3 level, definately. If it has come in one large hit though, (i.e. final tabling a large field $1 buy in for example), i'd grind a few more weeks at the lower level.
Need a clear view of where you've had success really daleyboy. If you are comfortable with low level SnGs played previously then move up with your $90. If not very much experience, start back at the beginning! lol. Try the different varietys and field sizes to see what you're better at.

Dont be afraid to try the $3 and step back down if you feel your roll is taking too much of a hit.

Snowmobiler

Snowmobiler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Daleyboy

How much bankroll you need imo is dependant on your ROI (return on investment)
If you are a winning player at $3 sngs,say with 15% ROI then I think you have more than enough bankroll for this level.25-30 buy-in downswing would be huge (and unlikely) in this situation.
If you have a -ROI at this level then adjusting to better stake to continue to work on your game may be the best.
If you dont have a record at this level,but have a decent ROI at $1 or $2,Then I think you could try $3 sngs with 6-7 buy-ins and if you lose those buy-ins you would have around $65 left and can drop down to $2 sngs and be back to 30 buy-ins and at a level you can beat .
Try not to look at a lower stake as moving "down"
I look at it as I am moving to a stake that I know I am going to make $$ over the long run (based on your past results)
If you multi-table then that would change things a bit,but not alot
At the new level you might consider cutting back on your tables till you are comfortable with your ROI at this level
GL at the tables

Snow :cool:

N

nobby1510

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends totally on how risk averse you are. I don't think there is anything wrong in the range 15-50 buy-ins. The key is to make sure that you aren't playing too far out of your comfort zone and also not playing too safe - you need to feel a little bit of edge - to get that the winnings must make a difference to your bankroll.

P

Pokertron3000

Available for parties
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man I am a major nit, I like snows post on this subject and his veiwpoint that its not moving down is something I am going to try incorperate into my game.

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
cheers for the advice guys, ive built it up mainly from Sng's with the odd $20 from the nightly $2.75 tourny i play(that tournys a must its part of my daily routine lol) i just played a $3.40 i cashed but only 3rd so it was $5.50 or what ever. im gonna stay at the $3.40 unless i drop down to less than $43.40 (im going to use less than 40 entrys of the lower limit + 1buy in at the level i want to be at as my bracket.

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive decided I like having around 30 buyins, but I am cashing out some of my BR on 1 site which is going to leave me with somewhat less than 25 buyins and back down a level. For the games I am playing I feel this is more than enough. I guess like someone else said its all about what your comfortable with and what games you are playing.

D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was thinking that i should play a level until i have 30/40 buy ins at that level but if i look at it as when i have 40 by ins of a level then i only need to have one buy in of the next level to play it and aslong as if i reach less than 40 buy ins of the previous level i move down then it doesnt seem to bad. so in theory i can move up to $5 when i $141.50(roughly)

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea, Im withdrawing $150 from my $200 BR on Players Only, at PO I mostly play their Double or Nothings. I started out with like a $2 win in a freeroll. Once I hit like $55 I switched from $2 DoNs to $5s and if I lost that 1st $5 game I would go back to grinding $2s. Only reason I was moving up this level so early was for the better profit. I really wanted to have about $60 giving me almost 30 $2 DoN buyins, but looking at my stats for $2s I figured starting again with $50 BR is going to be fine.

Last edited:
D

Daleyboy1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ive managed to boost my bankroll to $121 i kind of in a heat of the moment (being sunday) abandoned BRM and played the $5 2R+1A tourny i double bought in and added on spending $15 but cashed for $33 tonight i managed to cash in my regular $2.75 tourny for just under $15 its back to discipline tommorow on the sit and go's. I played a couple today and cashed in third place so im hoping i can master the $3.40 level soon.

oh and i also managed to win a 60FPP 100 person steps qualifier on stars. so i now have a level 2 steps voucher aswell.

Ciao for now.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management