Bad pros

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We all have our favourite players but I was wondering who If any of the well know pros do you think make questionable plays that almost have us thinking how the hell are these ppl pros

mariuspoker1

mariuspoker1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We all have our favourite players but I was wondering who If any of the well know pros do you think make questionable plays that almost have us thinking how the hell are these ppl pros
Well after my humble oppinion there are many pro players about whom i wondered how the hell they get there:D:D:D but in the end what matters is they are there and I'm not:p:D.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a high stakes dealer tell me most "pro" poker players are broke and self designated as pros.

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well after my humble oppinion there are many pro players about whom i wondered how the hell they get there:D:D:D but in the end what matters is they are there and I'm not:p:D.
Marius this is so true they are where lots of us wish we were but saying that I bet lots of the high stakes pros are under pressure to make a living probably being staked and not making a big profit

R

Riomaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Helmuth. I get back then. But anything semi-recent I have no idea how he ever makes money.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many pros are backed and in debt or in deep make up. I’ve read many stories of degenerate behavior. There’s a reason there’s so many scammers and people not paying back loans etc. Clearly theses “pros” have issues. Some are good players but can’t keep life together.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had a high stakes dealer tell me most "pro" poker players are broke and self designated as pros.
Well that's interesting. I think I'll turn pro. Cool I'm a pro. Now, do I get to deduct my loses from my winnings on my taxes. Hmm What about my expenses? Seriously is that all you have to do is "designate" yourself as a pro?

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well that's interesting. I think I'll turn pro. Cool I'm a pro. Now, do I get to deduct my loses from my winnings on my taxes. Hmm What about my expenses? Seriously is that all you have to do is "designate" yourself as a pro?

pay 15% self-employment tax in addition
Though realistically what I was saying is a "pro" player is usually just a self designation.

B

bigbird

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Many pros are backed and in debt or in deep make up. I’ve read many stories of degenerate behavior. There’s a reason there’s so many scammers and people not paying back loans etc. Clearly theses “pros” have issues. Some are good players but can’t keep life together.

Point me to some degenerate stories, you piqued my interest.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daniel Negreanu wrote a good piece about turning pro in a blog at cardplayer.com. It's not all glory it needs to be treated as a business and a job

bmw1983kaz

bmw1983kaz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Helmuth. I get back then. But anything semi-recent I have no idea how he ever makes money.

Apparently Helmuth is a nice guy and his antics are mostly reserved for the TV cameras.

The Floyd Mayweather of poker.

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read articles where this seems to be true where pros are deep in debt to a backer. Definitely not as glamorous as it seems being a pro who struggles to make a living

P

panost

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can we judge the lines of pros? Only if we are pros. So wait until the time comes.

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can we judge the lines of pros? Only if we are pros. So wait until the time comes.
I agree that while we are far from pro we can all recognise some of the bad plays that some players make even if it is the occasional bad move. Sometimes pros are willing to gamble it up which can be judged as a bad play while overall these players probably aren't as bad as some of videos that we have access to show

Last edited:
I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The original question was asking about bad play but I guess there are a number of other ways that pros can be bad including bad BM for one

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Gus Hanson didn't look too good for a while. Negreanu played bad and was unlucky on high stakes poker years ago.

T

thejuice1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Apparently Helmuth is a nice guy and his antics are mostly reserved for the TV cameras.

The Floyd Mayweather of poker.

Uh, that's not an accurate analogy. Floyd is a woman beating p.o.s.
Hellmuth, from what I have read, is mostly just doing that for entertainment as you stated.
hes a good guy

H

havealittlefaith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Hellmuth, the guy just waits and waits for big hands, then eventually gets sucked out on and busts. You have to take advantage of different spots this day and age and play hard even if you don't have a bid hand.

I

Ian mcdonough

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Phil Hellmuth, the guy just waits and waits for big hands, then eventually gets sucked out on and busts. You have to take advantage of different spots this day and age and play hard even if you don't have a bid hand.
Hellmuth is obviously still a great player but I have always found his rants annoying but like someone said earlier it's all for the cameras

A

Aknight3

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think sometimes anyone can make a questionable play once in awhile...what you consider a questionable play might be a good gamble to another man...just how someone might want to play their game ya know

R

Rivaud

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

The way I see it poker broadcasts tend to only show the best and worst moves of any given player. For pros when they make what appears to be a bad move it gets exemplified out of proportion even though it is likely something they do a lot less than your typical player as everyone makes mistakes. For example Negreanu is my favorite to match and arguably one of the best but I have seen him make plenty of bad plays as well. In the long run if they are a pro those bad plays are likely far and in between...OR they have a trust fund

jhosept6

jhosept6

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

you do not understand that friend because those players have everything studied and are mostly strategies that would be impossible to apply in micro boundaries where there are so many recreasional players, that is why many of us are surprised to see these plays of the professionals