Back-Alley Mugging

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Back-Ally Mugging or betting when a big card comes on a late street is a concept described by Dan Harrington.

A scary card arrives on fourth or fifth street, a card that could swing the hand. It missed you, but your opponent doesn't know that. You make a big, scary bet, and he folds.

This play requires a number of preconditions:

1. The card has to plausibly fit some hands that you might have been playing.

2. Make this play against a player of medium strength.

3. Make this move against a player who has shown he can lay down a hand.

4. As with most bluffs, bluffing a tight opponent is better than bluffing a loose one.

I think it's a nice concept, what you do think? :ciao:

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is a nice concept I've used myself a lot with good success, but to be honest: I haven't read any works from Harrington and I've never heard this play described as "Back-Alley Mugging." :D

I've always just heard this play described as betting on a "scare card" but I guess "scare card" is a more generalized term because this is not restricted to only the late streets. It is possible to bet on the Flop with the same idea (like and Ace but sometimes any paint card will scare players as well). I think this "scare card" concept works better on the Turn or River though because it is only one card that has changed and makes it more obvious of what story you are trying to tell. Also obvious to many of us, but I'll comment it just for beginners, a scare card isn't only high cards. Sometimes a card that coordinates the board like putting four cards to a flush, or a card gives an open-ended straight draw on the community cards etc. can scare away opponents even more than an Ace can in many situations.

Back-Alley Mugging though lol - what craziness will Harrington come up with next? ;)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like that play on a tight table and after winning some hands at showdown.