Ask me any question

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Everyone,

There are a few members that I would like to see do this, as I have questions for them. So, I will start.

Ask any question and I will answer honestly. I enjoy remaining anonymous, so please don't ask anything that would compromise that.

OK fire away- Im out the door but will be back in a few hours.

-Bill

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will start easy:

Great taste or less filling?

jolubman

jolubman

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're going to take a coin flip, you much do you need to have the odds in your favor. Example: You see the other person's cards and he has ace queen and goes all-in. You have ace king and a 75% chance of winning. Would you call the all-in? You have an equal size stack.

Steveg1976

Steveg1976

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're going to take a coin flip, you much do you need to have the odds in your favor. Example: You see the other person's cards and he has ace queen and goes all-in. You have ace king and a 75% chance of winning. Would you call the all-in? You have an equal size stack.

Edit: Nevermind, it is Bill's thread to answer question.

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

There are many situations in which I will take a coin lip. Acoin lip describes a 50/50 situation.

If AQ shows and pushes, and I have AK, my chips will go in very fast. No matter how deep the stacks, if 'im on the bubble in a tournament, whatever. I will call everytime.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is there any hope for somebody whose brain does not work fast enough to calculate most odds before having to make a decision to be a winning poker player?

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Scenario:

It`s the final table of a medium-sized online tourney, seven players remain. It`s your BB and you have only ~10x BB left, but there are two other players even shorter. The other four have you comfortably outstacked.

You are dealt :10s4: :5h4:.

Two of the deepstacks limp from late position. SB folds. You call.

The flop comes :10c4: :5c4: :2c4:.

First to act - what`s your move and why ?

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Similar situation to above. Final table of small online tourney, 4 players remain. You have a little over 10x BB left, another player similar. Other 2 have bigger stacks.

You are dealt :jd4: :jc4:

You are first to act. The other short stack is the BB and the bigstack is the SB. BB plays fairly conservative and SB is very aggressive. Other player in between.

What action do you take and why?

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there any hope for somebody whose brain does not work fast enough to calculate most odds before having to make a decision to be a winning poker player?

Math is critical. There is no way around it. Study off the table, so that you can have an easier time of it in the heat of battle. As the games get tougher edge becomes increasingly hard to find. Pushing small edges requires accurate math to assess the situation. Is there hope? Yes. study the math can be learned.

-Bill

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Scenario:

It`s the final table of a medium-sized online tourney, seven players remain. It`s your BB and you have only ~10x BB left, but there are two other players even shorter. The other four have you comfortably outstacked.

You are dealt :10s4: :5h4:.

Two of the deepstacks limp from late position. SB folds. You call.

The flop comes :10c4: :5c4: :2c4:.

First to act - what`s your move and why ?

Although there are a few variables I'd like to know, such as how long until blinds escalate, how top heavy is the prize pool, etc. I won't duck the question. But I have to qualify by there is information that can change my opinion.

The in position players have made a huge mistake limping. How they let you see a flop with 10 blinds for free from the bb tells me they are weak players.

I push. The range of limped hands you are ahead of is wide. tripling up with weak players on your right, with a stack that now has some strength, you push them around all day. If you lose, going broke with 10 blinds and 2 pair isnt tragic.
Play to win, not move up a spot.

Without other information, I push...happily.

-Bill

icemonkey9

icemonkey9

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My Question: Bill, which members of CardsChat would you like to see do this thread? (as you eluded to in your original post).

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Similar situation to above. Final table of small online tourney, 4 players remain. You have a little over 10x BB left, another player similar. Other 2 have bigger stacks.

You are dealt :jd4: :jc4:

You are first to act. The other short stack is the BB and the bigstack is the SB. BB plays fairly conservative and SB is very aggressive. Other player in between.

What action do you take and why?

Push.
JJ four handed is a monster. IMO, 10 blinds is push bot poker. Push or fold.
The blinds must be worth picking up and you must try to keep any fold equity you have. I'm pushing hands less powerful as JJ here. Also, because your push botting weaker hands, you may possibly pick up a call from weaker hands.

Make them find a hand they feel they can call with. I may stop and go in certain conditions, but there are not many...

push, if your behind flop another Jack, that's what id do. lol.

I

Inscore77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bill! While playing @ close 2 the final table, 3 tables left ok!

I have :kh4::qh4:

Flop:jh4::qh4:oops 8of sapdes (

turn:9s4:

River:7c4:. and i lose 2!!

:ac4::as4:.. please tell me the odds of hit any of the outs i had

Thanks

Get your money back the deck is fouled with 2 Queen of hearts.

-Bill

roundcat

roundcat

Creature of leisure
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think other types of poker games are more profitable than hold 'em, and if so, which ones? Does the answer to that question change with online vs. live play?

Bill_Hollorian

Bill_Hollorian

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you think other types of poker games are more profitable than hold 'em, and if so, which ones? Does the answer to that question change with online vs. live play?

I do think other games are more profitable. I play horse, plo, and limit Omaha8.
I believe the hayday for hold'em online is over. Profit centers are getting lower and lower. I am seeing quality play at 25nl online, even shorthanded. Is there still money to be made? yes. Is it as easy as 5 years ago? Not even close.

Pot Limit Omaha has players making mistakes all the way up. 6max is great.
Wynn has been spreading PLO live, but this game has no value for me. Its a 2-5 plo, with tough players. PLO online is great.

The mix games and Horse are really good, but my stud games are not up to snuff.

Limit Omaha 8 appears to be drying up recently online. There is really only one O8 game in Vegas, the 30-60 Bellagio. During the day the game is no good. Late at night is worth it.

Im actually looking at NL again.

So in short skilled players can leverage more skill in other games, both live and online.

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Although there are a few variables I'd like to know, such as how long until blinds escalate, how top heavy is the prize pool, etc. I won't duck the question. But I have to qualify by there is information that can change my opinion.

The in position players have made a huge mistake limping. How they let you see a flop with 10 blinds for free from the bb tells me they are weak players.

I push. The range of limped hands you are ahead of is wide. tripling up with weak players on your right, with a stack that now has some strength, you push them around all day. If you lose, going broke with 10 blinds and 2 pair isnt tragic.
Play to win, not move up a spot.

Without other information, I push...happily.

-Bill

Thanks, Bill.

As you may have guessed, this was a real situation I found myself in the other day. I made the same decision you did, and for the same reasons.

Annoyingly, one of the late position limpers flopped a flush. I didn`t improve and my game ended there.

The adverse outcome made me question my decision and wonder whether I shouldn`t have waited for the other shorties to bust out and move me up.

Your answer matches my instinct of the moment and reassures me. It must be right to sieze the opportunity to build a competetive stack and finish top three (where the big money is). The result was just bad variance.

tenbob

tenbob

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most profitable : Tournaments or cash games ?

Best hand to play deep-stacked : 22 or AK ?

Hold'em or omaha ?

Ever play in the wsop ? Ever cash ?

WVHillbilly

WVHillbilly

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand you play both live and online, so what's your take on the whole online is rigged debate? Do you believe that online poker is "real poker"?

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why do mods have no sense of humor and delete legitimate questions?

Serious question so this doesn't get deleted too:

What limits of NLHE do you play live and online?